Splatoon 2 <コ:彡

I think I get all of that, I’m more just talking about the different experience ramps. I can’t tell what gives me money vs. experience in a normal turf war. And in Salmon Run you there are multiple other things unlocking too.

I know the progression is separate for salmon run vs. turf war and that makes sense, but there’s nothing explaining what I’m unlocking in salmon run.

Here’s an example screen at the end of Salmon Run. It’s taken from an E3 video so some of the visuals changed since then, but it should get the point across:

So the numbers in the upper-left are the number of golden and orange orbs you collected during the game - that makes sense.

• What is “Hazard level”? Is this just the level you start at, and the more you play salmon run, the more and more difficult it gets?

• What is the “10%” referring to? I assume it goes up as you play more and get to more difficult levels, but what is it affecting?

• How is “job score” calculated? Is it just the number of golden orbs I collected during the game, multiplied by the “hazard level” thing? Or is it something more?

• The “bonus meter” appears to be filled by the “job score” number, but in-game it’s not clear at all what those bonuses do. I even went to that one kiosk next to Grizzco and redeemd the reward, but it didn’t tell me anywhere what that reward actually was or what it does? If it was a cosmetic item I don’t recall it appearing anywhere in my inventory.

I just feel like there are so many small things in this game that are completely unexplained, but it’s basic stuff that should be a part of a tutorial somewhere. Or at least an online manual somewhere where they show each screen and overlay explanations of each thing onto each screen?

I haven’t done enough with Salmon Run to comment too directly on that screen but the 28p seems to be coming from the 25p for Golden Eggs and 3p for 250 of the standard Power Eggs. Your Pay Grade goes up as you complete missions I think. Hazard Level is the difficulty I think… as in the harder it gets the more they bump your points up by that percentage?

That’s my take on it anyway.

I hope to have time during the next Run to dig into it more. I hit Turf War hard last night and leveled to 10 so I’m able to play Ranked now. I forgot how much fun Rainmaker is. Really glad to have that available again. You have to get to a B- grade in ranked to play in the League Battles. Those are apparently two hour long events. Definitely more hardcore. I know I got up to a B- in the original game so hopefully I can do that again in this one. Ranked will definitely humble you the first time in, though. Make sure you know how the mode plays. Splat Zones is probably my favorite.

Time flies while I play this game and the best part is each match is a little slice of awesome that plays out in so many possible ways. I feel like I’m always getting better and the aesthetic never gets old. It’s just a super fun place to visit! The shopkeepers, the music, the color… it’s sort of soothing and yet action packed all at the same time.

I just played a series of matches against a lvl 22 player who would basically camp on raised areas of the center, constantly killing players and letting his teammates ink the map. Really fucking annoying how hard it was to kill him, especially since his gun out ranged mine. .

Don’t get focused on that one guy. That’s what he wants! Let him camp. Instead, play the edges. Almost every surface area you can run on can be inked. Ink and swim and ink and swim and instead kill his teammates. With people like that, I always try to get ink onto the areas near their spawn. That forces them to play a defensive game.

Remember too that when you’re a squid they can’t see you. Shoot and duck into the ink and move.

I assume you were playing Turf War?

Found this guide…

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/6p6bt7/guide_splatoon_2_salmon_run/

It seems pretty good. The writer claims that power eggs don’t count for anything. It’s all about your Hazard Level going in (in the screenshot, that’s Apprentice). I think it goes up to Profreshional which is a 200% modifier. Golden Eggs x modifier gives you the Job Score.

Regarding Pay Grade…

Difficulty - Difficulty seems to be dictated by pay grade. So the higher your pay grade, the nastier things will show up. Events don’t start to appear until your pay grade gets a bit higher. Bosses spawn more frequently and faster as your pay grade increases. As such you can get away with doing whatever you want if your pay grade is low, but you’ll hit a wall if you don’t start playing smart.

Aw man, yeah I love Rainmaker! I’m sometimes glad there’s no voice chat because I can’t help but shout ‘PUSH YOU BASTARDS’ when things are getting close.

I got to… A- or A in Splatoon after getting there once before and in a handful of sessions plummeting all the way down to B-. I was a tad salty to say the least.

I loved all the ranked modes though, perhaps more so than Turf War. They can all get super competitive and when you see players’ actions and abilities synergising to win (or lose!) the game it’s magic.

Damn it. I think after my holiday I’ll be picking up a Switch, if I can find a Splatoon 2 bundle.

The first time I jumped in I went right for the fish and was firing on the bubble kind of remembering what to do (I haven’t played the original on Wii U in like a year…) and my teammate started backing away and pbt pbt pbt pbt…SPLAT! I’m wiped by the bubble explosion while he was probably laughing. “Oh yeah! I forgot about that!”

We got railroaded in like 20 seconds. It was an awful debut. I did better in the next couple games and even got the Rainmaker myself a couple times but didn’t know the map or where to go. I like how each of the modes prioritizes certain weapons. Apparently Salmon Run does the same.

This really is a one-of-a-kind game.

That guide is helpful. Thanks!

Finally figured out all the Salmon Run details. I read elsewhere that power eggs actually do help your job score and it checks out. Take this as an example:

1. Our whole team collected 27 golden eggs
  2. Our whole team collected 1427 power eggs
  3. The difficulty / pay grade was 120%

Job score = [golden eggs] + [power eggs / 200]
Final score = Job Score * Pay Grade

FTFY.

I never ventured into ranked battles in the original for fear of screwing up the ranks of others. But maybe I’ll give it a go this time around.

@LMN8R Cool! That fits with what I sussed out in the original picture then. They just lowered the dividing factor. It seemed odd that those eggs wouldn’t be used in the final score.

No fear of hurting ranks. You get matched with people around your same rank. It’s not like you’ll be playing against A ranks when you’re a C- and be bringing them down. Get in and play! It’s got three modes you don’t see otherwise.

Ketchup v Mayo…

Who ya got?

Whichever side Marina’s on.

For real, though, ketchup. Mayo is kinda gross.

Ketchup!

Omg… the writing for the introduction of the Splatfest was hilarious! I was laughing out loud at how even when mayonaise is cold it tastes warm. Lol!

I did some Salmon running tonight. Good times! It can all go to hell in a handbasket fast if you’re not careful!

In case anyone hasn’t located it yet (and I didn’t see it mentioned in any reviews yet…) there’s a rhythm mini-game hidden in Splatoon 2. Discovered it myself today wandering around the plaza. :)

Anybody pick up the Splatoon-themed Pro Controller? I’ve been playing with joy cons and the grip this weekend, and there have been several times where the camera went crazy all of a sudden. Just kept rotating or jerking back and forth. Almost as if the controllers couldn’t handle the quick pans and twists during a match. That won’t do, so I’m wondering if the Pro Controller would be a better choice.

I picked one up off Amazon when the game came out and it’s great. A huge improvement from the joy-con grip. The color scheme is great too!

I’ve come THIS close to buying a pro controller this past week, at least five times, just for Splatoon. I find the joycon sticks too short, too loose, and awkwardly positioned for shooter gameplay, but they’re just barely not awkward enough for me to drop seventy bucks on something that I really don’t need, in the grand scheme.

I have had a Pro Controller since March. It’s worth every penny because it’s a completely awesome controller in size and weight. Gyro, amiibo support are there. It’s my primary Switch control at the TV and it gives you a third controller for the likes of Mario Kart too.

Highly recommended. Love it for Splatoon