Splinter Cell: Conviction

I started playing this over the weekend, and I’m maybe halfway done. I guess.

This is definitely not the same Splinter Cell we were used to, though that doesn’t automatically make it a bad game. This is less of a game about infiltration and stealing data/objectives and such and more a game about how one guy can take out a whole bunch of bad dudes by himself by using cover, gadgets, stealth, and being a general bad-ass.

I have my issues with the game, mostly in the way the guard chatter is handled and the de-saturation effect, but overall I like it a lot. If you’re a fan of the previous games you definitely have to come to grips with the fact that this is sort of a different experience, but once you make peace with that and play it for what it is, it’s quite good at that.

The guard chatter isn’t just incessant, it’s sort of silly and a missed opportunity. Batman did it right - once you start dropping dudes and they find bodies, the guards start to fear you, and you feel powerful. Everyone in Conviction is like “RAWR! I’m angry at you Fisher! I’m comin’ to get you!” and it rings hollow after awhile.

The desaturation effect is dramatic, but it makes it sort of hard to pick things out of the environment (while highlighting the bad guys). I often find myself straining to see where I’ll go after I pop this guy in the head. Planning my approach and moves from the shadows is harder than it has to be because of the effect. I like how it makes it very clear when you’re hidden and when you aren’t without requiring some sort of light meter or something, but there must be a good way to do that without reducing my vision.