Split - M. Night Shyamalan, James McAvoy, Anya Taylor-Joy

This fucking sucked. 75% rotten tomatoes, my ass.

M. Night Shamalamadingdong, you are a bad person and you should feel bad.

Counter point: You are a bad person and you should feel bad, because this was good.

No, it wasn’t.

This is some riveting…puts on shades Discourse!

Mr Schmidt has two likes to your zero, Mr Wumpus. So by any objectively measurable standards you are simply incorrect.

Just to give some examples of how utterly stupid this movie is.

(Spoilers, if you care. But you shouldn’t because this movie was terrible.)

The aside about how “the beast” can climb walls with barely any handholds. You’d think this would eventually be used in some sensible, dramatic way where the beast manages to follow in pursuit by scaling some impossible looking sheer wall. Nope, random scene where he scales an internal wall while he has the victim cornered, for NO REASON WHATSOVER. No pursuit, no overcoming an obstacle, he just randomly starts climbing a wall in a room for… reasons.

The abused girl has no meaningful narrative arc. Sure, she’s abused, and we find out she was wearing those shirts because she has all the self mutilation marks on her body which she wanted to cover up. But at the end the uncle picks her up from the police car and… there’s no difference? Yay she got to practice aiming her shotgun at the beast, like she did as a little girl, except this time she pulled the trigger?

The connection at the end to Mr. Glass with Bruce Willis’s credits scene was complete wankery. Somehow this whole split personality mind over body bullshit justifies Unbreakable, another terrible Shamalamadingdong movie?

And he even escapes at the end, so he can READ OUT LOUD IN WORDS that those shotgun blasts didn’t even penetrate his skin! His “rhino skin!” You see he is the beast because HE WORKED AT THE ZOO, get it? Get it? Are you smart enough to understand the connection, there? If not don’t worry because this movie will explain it to you, in excruciating detail, like you’re four fucking years old.

Seriously fuck this movie, right in its movie hole.

Oh man, good post, I liked this!

Major spoilers from Shyamalan:

[spoiler]
My new film is the sequel to #Unbreakable AND #Split. It was always my dream to have both films collide in this third film.

The iconic Bruce Willis returns as David Dunn

The incomparable @SamuelLJackson will return as Elijah Price/Mr. Glass

The virtuoso #JamesMcAvoy returns as Kevin Wendell Crumb, Patricia, Dennis, Hedwig, Barry, Jade, Orwell, The Beast, Heinrich, Norma, Pol-

And the prodigy, @AnyaTaylorJoy will return as Casey Cooke

I’m reteaming with my partners @jason_blum and @Universalpics for this crazy comic book thriller.

And the film is called GLASS…[/spoiler]

I said GODDAMN!

And yet, AND YET, superhero movies are a dime a dozen these days and nobody complains about the lack of logic nor harps excruciatingly on about their directors. Really, it’s not some insane logic here. The guy is a villain, as in comic book type. You just saw his origin story. You saw hers too. There will be more, we already know this. Probably the only thing the trailer didn’t show, and what I guess many audiences don’t expect as the M-Night-Surprise, is that it’s not a movie on reality. It’s a movie on super-reality, where evil exists outside of forms that are possible.

I enjoyed the movie. Similar to you, Wumpus, I wasn’t too keen on some of the plot and some things left hanging, but I throughly enjoyed McAvoy, he played the part so very well. I’d give it a 5/7 with rice.

[quote=“Telefrog, post:28, topic:120543, full:true”]I said GODDAMN!
[/quote]

Swing away, Shyamalan! Swing away!

-Tom, Split fan

Just watched on Amazon. Oh, M Night, you had so much promise far earlier in your career, and I should’ve known better at this point after you helmed multiple duds.

The only thing that kept me watching was McAvoy’s performance and Anya Taylor-Joy’s eyes (yes, the ones in her head). This movie wasn’t suspenseful, scary, or even interesting. The long amounts of time before even seeing the various victims once separated made me realize I’d almost forgotten about them. The overall pace of the movie was just off. Too many scenes with his therapist that went nowhere other than forced exposition.

But McAvoy. Dude was awesome. Sometimes you only remember one character from an entire movie. He had that part down.

All of them.

McAvoy was great, but I thought that the movie itself was a bit silly. I’m not sure what it was going for. I knew that there was supposed to be a twist, so I think that might be why I was a bit let down.

I think that’s all M. Night seems to want to do anymore. It’s his one-trick pony.

Wait… when has he not done a twist ending (or tried to)?

still trying to think of one

After Earth?

Are you asking me, or telling me? I haven’t seen After Earth, but I thought M. Night’s whole deal was twist endings…?

EDIT:
I looked it up, I guess while he’s a reputation for twist endings, less than half his films have featured them (this was from 2013 though):

I still believe Sign’s had a twist (water) but that’s maybe just me. Also, Split was a twist (the monster was real) in my opinion, though I didn’t not believe it wouldn’t go that way for a second.

And yeah, @JD looks like After Earth wasn’t a twist ending either! Man, it’s funny how I thought all his movies had twists, but I guess I am mis-remembering (I guess to be fair I don’t really recall many of his movies that didn’t have Bruce in them).

I haven’t watched it either, but based on the plot summaries and the extensive reviews I read, it seemed pretty much straightforward and without the last-minute gimmick.