SPOILER: If you were Anakin would you turn to the Dark Side?

I dont know about you guys… but I wouldn’t… sell out my lifelong values over Padme?

no thanks…

looks like peeps are all voting “NO”… which proves my point and makes Episode III so much less believable

All these years I thought the methodology used to turn Anakin to the Dark Side would have been a lot more convincing.

No, but if I were Anakin, I’d at least have started that conversation with “Tell you what, you save Padme and I’ll think about it.”

Yeah, well do any of YOU have a Sith Lord who is directly channeling the powers of the Dark Side (and remember, we’ve seen the Force’s power to influence – “these are not the droids you are looking for”) standing in the same room trying to turn YOU?

No?

I didn’t THINK so.

Only a Sith thinks in terms of “Yes” and “No” poll options.

Please, Anakin wasn’t worth any Dark Side powers - just a bit of a shiny metal. And really, it doesn’t look like the whole Dark Side thing did him many real favours in the long run - he gets the Choke for free, not even the snazzy Force Moderate Static Shock That Doesn’t Actually Seem To Hurt All That Much.

Note: Sorry, this turned out longer than I expected.

No girl would be worth giving up a swashbuckling life of adventure with a laser sword and galaxy-spanning theatres of operation. I realize Anakin wants something more normal, and Padme has been his dream since he left Tatooine, not being a Jedi, but being a Jedi strikes me as more important, particularly in those times of crisis. The medical tech at the time would indicate that she’d probably be well cared for in childbirth, but if she dies, well, she dies.

I think the more pertinent question about turning Dark is whether or not one thinks the Jedi Order is worth adhering to or even saving. Clearly the unyielding tradition of the Code didn’t work, and the Jedi Council was, almost by definition, a bunch of arrogant fucks who couldn’t see the conspiracy right in front of their future-sensing faces. The real killer in the Mace/Palpatine scene is that Anakin’s right, but he’s only saying that because he wants Palpatine alive long enough to teach him how to save Padme. The Code is a tool in that scene, not a motivation.

RotJ shows Luke able to strike a balance between light and dark. He manipulates, he plots, he Force chokes, he beats Vader with rage and fear, he kills dozens of Jabba’s henchmen (you don’t actually see Jedi kill organic beings very often in the prequels…Jango’s about it, although I guess Anakin does kill a boatload or so of Geonosians), but he also shows compassion, control over his emotions (until that one critical moment), selflessness (sacrificing himself for his friends/the Rebellion), and a healthy sense of detachment from those he was once close to. However, at the end of RotJ, Leia (counterpoint to Anakin/Padme in that Leia is a Jedi potential, yet will have a presumably happy relationship with Han in addition) pulls Luke away from his isolation and his insistence on looking away toward the past (represented by the ghosts of Anakin and the others) and over toward the present, where Luke will have genuine friends, companions, and loved ones, yet still be a Jedi.

Like his father before him.

The irony is that it’s the relationship itself that opens him up to the dark side. He’s doing something that he’s not supposed to be doing (in the context of the Jedi code at least). Sidious just exploits that weakness.

wtf no shit bonerz

Hell, it’s even suggested that Sidious created Anakin, unless I misheard something during the circus/opera scene.

The irony is that it’s the relationship itself that opens him up to the dark side. He’s doing something that he’s not supposed to be doing (in the context of the Jedi code at least). Sidious just exploits that weakness.

Don’t forget the loss of his mother and the subsequent slaughter of the Sand People - even if two milliseconds of thought adds weight to the ‘Anakin is a dumbass’ argument when you think ‘Wait, on a WHOLE SAVED PLANET with TWO ENTIRE CULTURES, there’s nothing shiny you could have blagged to buy your mother out of servitude?’

It’s all a bit paradoxical when you consider that Padme’s death is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Anakin’s having nightmares about Padme dying in childbirth so he turns to the dark side to save her. But this breaks Padme’s heart (force-choking probably didn’t help much either) and leads directly to her “losing the will to live” and dying in childbirth just as Anakin’s dreams predicted.

Presumably, lots of the Jedi have to deal with that sort of thing. The ones that can sense parts of the future anyway. Any time you’re looking into the future, you’ve got to deal with the mess of whether or not you’re seeing things as they will or could happen, and what role you play in that. Doesn’t Yoda try to give some explanation at some point for futures that may be vs what will be, or something, when cautioning Anakin about the visions?

“Always emotions, the future.”

Yoda’s line is actually “Always in motion is the future.”

Yoda’s line is actually “Always in motion is the future.”[/quote]

Seriously? You have blown my mind, sir. I’ve thought it was “emotions” for 25 years. :(

Yoda’s line is actually “Always in motion is the future.”[/quote]

Seriously? You have blown my mind, sir. I’ve thought it was “emotions” for 25 years. :([/quote]
I thought the same thing for a long time; I only realized it when I read the script a few years ago.

Now- no, not the way it happened to him, I’ve read enough sci-fi to not screw with precog stuff. Threatening my wife in the now, that would be a harder question. I would kill to save her.
At age 20 yep in a heartbeat.
Rational thought was not one of my strengths in my early years- hence why I made such a good photog- war zones, running into buring buildings exc. I would have done anything to save a my girlfriend at the time with no thought of the fallout from my actions. Thought to deed in one electric leap.

“Look, its Prince Arthas!”

I haven’t seen it, and probably won’t, but Anakin’s turn to the dark side sounds pretty much like what happened to Prince Arthas in Warcraft 3, the Paladin turned Death Knight whom was only trying to save his people from evil, only to be the one to destroy them.

Except, not, you know, as good as the video game.