Spotify question

We’ve gone pretty full in on Spotify, and we have it on our phones, our Sony TVs, it’s the default music app for our Alexa’s etc. One question though: My wife was home listening to some music, and I was driving home. I pulled up Spotify on my phone, and the app at home immediately switched to what I was listening to. It really puzzled her - she asked me about Spotify changing songs on her and we figured out what happened.

It’s one account. Can we not each separately play different music at the same time on the app?

Thanks

YEah that shouldn’t happen, if you’re using the family plan you each have separate profiles/accounts under the one family plan account that should never interfere with each other.

Now if you’re only using one account that ISN’T a family account then yeah, that might happen I suppose?

Hmm. I need to go look and convert if it’s not a family plan. I’ll bet that’s it. Thanks.

OK. We have the family plan but I had not invited her to it. So, say for the app on the two TVs at home, will she need to do a separate log on (as in her own username and password?)

I honestly don’t know, my wife and I only use it on our separate phones and computers so we’ve not had any issues. Not sure about any shared devices.

We are on the Duo plan. The wife has her own login.

Spotify synchronizes across devices for a single account. That means for a given account, if you listen to a song on your phone, pause, then start it up on a Sonos in your home - it’ll pick up the same song.

The way we use the family plan for Spotify is this:

• I have one account.
  • Wife has second account.
  • Echo devices have third account.

That way, neither she nor I playing content will affect the content playing off the Echo devices. It does mean you have to log on as the third account and add/follow playlists and such that you might want so that they can be found easily by Alexa, but it works pretty well.