Spruce up your boiled eggs!

I eat a lot of boiled eggs they’re inexpensive and supposed to be healthy for me (low cholesterol and I need extra salt).

Right now it’'s cook, mop up the 20% runny yolk with bread, eat the 80% hard egg by dumping a crapload of salt and pepper on it. Anyone have some fresh new ideas for this?

http://rouxbe.com/home

Look up the egg recipes. I think if you have Windows 8 you have more access to their catalog than you would otherwise if you access it through Metro.

Sounds like you are soft boiling them then if the yolks are still runny? Or are you poaching them here?

Anyway, for soft boiled and medium boiled eggs, one of the things I love to do is a Japanese thing (Ajitskue Tamago) and marinate them in soy sauce. I usually use a plastic bag, put the eggs and soy sauce in, squeeze out all the air and let them sit overnight or up to 24 hours. Any longer and they get too strong, but you can always pull them out of the mixture and store them in an air-tight container for a few more days (as long as you would normally keep soft-boiled eggs). Lots of people add other stuff like mirin (japanese cooking wine), sugar and/or garlic to the mixture as well, but I usually just stick with soy sauce.

I never understood boiled eggs. The white is kinda boring and sulfur-y, much better to fry or poach it and have the yolk smother all over and give richness and taste to the white. Or, if you need it in a more solid format for a sandwich, scrambled or omelette patty is much more satisfying than boiled and sliced.

My favorite thing to do with hardboiled (not softboiled) eggs is make egg salad. Add mustard, mayonnaise, maybe a bit of diced onion, mash them up thoroughly, and there you go.

That said, who told you eggs are low in cholesterol? An single large egg yolk is ~180 mg, which is a lot. They’re only low in cholesterol if you only eat the white, which is the dull, tasteless portion.

I think he meant he is low on cholesterol.

A simple sprucing up - boil the eggs until the yolk is all hard. Peel, cut each egg in half (preferably lengthwise) and extract the yolk from all eggs into a bowl. Add mayo, mustard, salt and pepper and mash it all together. Then return the mash back to the egg white, spray some paprika and voilà.

I’ve never heard of anyone who needs extra. While cholesterol is essential to digesting fats, your liver makes all the cholesterol you need.

I thought about mentioning deviled eggs, but the careful preservation of the whites as containers for the mustard-enhanced yolks has always struck me as far more aesthetic than gastronomic. It also makes them convenient to serve at parties, of course.

I bet some wasabe would be great there too.

They tend to change their minds on a yearly if not monthly basis. Generally speaking, nearly everything is OK in moderation.

I mean, not crack. Don’t try crack.

Back to the original post, I like a nice soft-boiled egg oozing over a frisee salad with grape tomatoes, bacon lardons and a strong vinaigrette made with sherry vinegar and olive oil. Also very good with baby spinach, with a vinaigrette of red wine vinegar, soy sauce, a bit of sesame oil, dijon, and neutral oil.

Poached is more traditional, but making poached eggs is a pain in the ass.

There are some pretty good Indian recipes centered around eggs, too. They’re great in a biryanior korma, for instance.

Hard cooked egg white makes me gag. But I will eat the yolks. So my answer should be obvious.

This struck me as too funny, because I have noticed this as well. Anecdotal, I admit, but I feel like in my 40 years I have seen eggs go from being terrible for you to being great for you and back and forth about 5 times.

I have basically just given up on a lot of this shit. The same thing has happened with meat and proteins, etc.

I think you nailed it - basically for everything, some moderation. (Obviously except for crack - don’t try crack.)

Tea Eggs:

Soy Sauce Eggs:

There’s another similar thing that my grandmother made that involved cooking the eggs in braising liquid from a braised five-spice beef. That involved braising beef though.

Slightly further afield: shirred / baked eggs (eggs en cocotte). Grease a ramekin, put in some (cooked) veggies, a bit of bacon, or just salt and pepper, and bake in a water bath.

Never a fan of boiled eggs, though if you hardboil them, slice or dice them they can be tossed into any number of other things. I presume the need for eggs and a shit-ton of salt is due to your medical condition, but for everyone else I don’t think I’d recommend endless eggs and salt.

I do like them fried, which isn’t that far off a boiled eggs with a runny yolk (yup, like the bread to mop it up even if bread is empty calories). My favorite is an omelette because I can toss in onion, bell pepper, cheese, spices, ham, mushrooms, whatever I happen to have in the 'fridge or feel like that day. Scrambled, because they just turn out lighter and fluffier that way. I’ve baked them with shrimp and that turned out very tasty (writes reminder to self to check shrimp prices at store).

Oh, also: scotch eggs.

Also also, I have a classic french cookbook that lists deep fried eggs as one of their recipes, literally just crack the egg into a deep fryer, then fish it out. Apparently, the white kind of spreads out like a cloud before hardening, and then it has a weird spider webby texture that looks kind of cool. However, the section on this in the book is very short, as it notes that it tastes kind of weird and gross, and there’s basically no good reason to ever do it.

Before someone starts recommending whipping up a soufflé, remember that the original post specified boiled eggs.

I enjoy a good red beet egg once in awhile. Canned beets work fine.

Hard boiled eggs with soy sauce and powder pepper are a family favourite. Soy sauce replaces salt nicely.

Mixing hard yolks with mayo and curry powder (very similar to above) is a great seventies party thing.

Poached. These are great on top of a whole range of things. The Turks have an awesome dish with poached eggs, whipped yoghurt and spicy butter called çilbir
Baked - I like with finely chopped mushrooms and parsley, in small dish (“en cocotte” - numerous recipes)
Tortilla Espanola, baked omelettes and frittatas - large deep dish omelettes with protein/veg/cheeses. (hundreds of recipes)

Egg salad is a 70s party thing? Eh?

Along with fondue, yeah.

'70s party things aren’t all they are, of course. Well, OK, that’s all fondue is.

Soft boiled eggs are best with Marmite on toast: