SQL Programming

I need to learn SQL for Financial Reporting through Access 2002. Any good books out there for beginners?

I’m sorry.

Honestly SQL isn’t a complex enough topic to warrant a whole book. This link should be enough for the basics. If you need something more complex than this, stop using Access.

Look, I’m pretty sure you’re insane so you might want to get that checked out.

Writing SQL can go from trivially easy to unbelievably complicated real quick depending on how screwed up your database schema is. I’ve got SQL Server stored procedures here that would blow your mind dude.

Look, I’m pretty sure you’re insane so you might want to get that checked out.

Writing SQL can go from trivially easy to unbelievably complicated real quick depending on how screwed up your database schema is. I’ve got SQL Server stored procedures here that would blow your mind dude.[/quote]

As someone who has done nothing but crank out overly complex stored procedures for the last two weeks, I know exactly what you are talking about. :)

The thing is, stored procedures aren’t SQL. Actual real honest-to-god SQL is just DML and DDL, and it sounds like the OP doesn’t even need the DDL part.

About the only complex thing in SQL is joins, and believe me a person can get a lot done with SQL without mastering joins.

http://philip.greenspun.com/sql/

Here is a good page for all things sql.

I’m so sorry.

:wink:

About the only complex thing in SQL is joins, and believe me a person can get a lot done with SQL without mastering joins.

Yeah…those were what I was thinking about. And subqueries.

But you’re basically right.

He’s right, SQL is a declarative language and not an imperitive one. Your stored procs are written in either extended SQL like PL/SQL or something entirely different like java, perl, or C. SQL itself is pretty easy to learn, optimizing it somewhat less so.

Since your using Access I’m assuming that your needs are modest. You can just use the help files which contain alot of basic info about using sql. Also, if your queries arn’t complicated you can use the query wizard which works just fine.

Easy to learn hard to master.

:)

You want a book about Access, rather than SQL: “SQL” covers a lot, and Access’ implementation of SQL is both small and quirky. Something with such words as ‘query programming with microsoft access’ in the title. MS Press probably as good a place as any to look.

I’ll say again. If you need to do some simple queries don’t waste your money. Use the help files, ask some questions and youre good to go.

http://www.w3schools.com/sql/default.asp

really basic