Squad - Midway Between Battlefield and ARMA

We’re still waiting for V11, but one group developed a zombie mod that’s become hella popular. One side starts as Zombies with about two or three squads. Other side is human. Humans can get revived by medics, but if you permadie you switch over to zombie side. Zombies have no respawn timers, move really fast, and specialized zombies can leap or are difficult to take down (tanks) or explode. It’s still a work in progress, but it’s a helluva lot of fun melding Squad’s large-scale gameplay and realistic weapons with zombies.

@Eric_Majkut huh

Are you saying Eric is a zombie? Lol

He DOES eat human brains…

I mean, I’d try a couple rounds of that I guess. But I don’t know that zombies are really what I’m looking for in a game like Squad.

It’s a fun change of pace. Some of us have been playing Squad’s advance-and-assault mode for years. Plus, it’s sort of insane to be in a platoon of players desperately trying to hold off the zombie horde.

The V12 public playtest has begun! This is a huge update. Adds MBTs. Big optimization pass to get to 100 players. Increased suppression effects. Added rolling resistance so vehicles move differently on terrain type (ie, roads are a lot more important now). New map, and revamps to existing maps. Big interface overhaul. Tons of new features and tweaks.

Here’s an all-day livestream.

V12 official release is soon, but there’s a separate alpha you can download via Steam to play it.

50% off sale + soundtrack. $20 for the best PTSD simulator out there! Offer only good for 24 hours.
https://www.chrono.gg/

And V12 Trailer was just released

Does that give a steam key?

I see it listed up towards the top there.

Yup. Steam key is listed on the page.

Picked it up. Should be worth it and then some for $20

So this is a very different game after V12.

Main Battle Tanks are just pure nasty. We’ve had armor before, but nothing like this.

On top of that, logistics becomes absolutely critical thanks to the persistent-ammo system. In most shooters, if you die and respawn, you come back with full ammo. But in V12, if you die and respawn, you only have the ammo/supplies that you died with. If you respawn at a FOB, you can re-arm, assuming the FOB has ammunition points (which are provided by someone delivering supplies via a logistic vehicle from main). If you respawn at a rally, you cannot re-arm.

That makes a completely different dynamic when attacking and defending. I was playing a match on Talil Outskirts, the new map, and it’s ridiculously huge. That made supply difficult. Trying to hold a defensive position became tenuous as supplies wound down. The enemy armor stood off at a distance and kept us down, and we didn’t dare waste ammo on long-range LAT shots. So instead it was hunkering down and desperately holding off infantry assaults. Eventually the attackers wore us down, but we extracted a heavy toll.

This is going to be a fun weekend.

No date?

It’s basically a soft launch at this point. There’s a separate V12 version you can download from Steam if you own the game; and OWI is letting people run their own V12 servers.

It’s great. Everything is a lot better than the playtest last month. Tons of polish and optimization now. And basically the entire game has been improved. Improved maps. Better animation. Improved graphics. It looks a definite step up from V11.

OWI is just hunting down the last bugs. There were a few minor ones I noticed last night, but nothing game-breaking.

I understood that it was a separate client, but I don’t want to download that, which is why I wondered if it had a real launch date?

V12 is out!!!

And it’s 50% off on Steam, with a free play weekend going on right now!

Is there a BR mode for this game yet? It is inevitable.

V13 is OUT!!!

Massive, massive update.

The big news is the update from Unreal Engine 4.16 to Unreal Engine 4.21. This has tons of benefits, but most notably they’ve also optimized the hell out of the game. Frame rates have shot up considerably.

But there are also dozens of improvements and additions on the gameplay side, as well. Like destructible tracks/wheels and modular damage on vehicles. New game mode. New classes. Etc, etc, etc.

https://joinsquad.com/2019/05/01/alpha-13-patch-notes/

I haven’t played in quite a while. Looking at all the changes, I’ll have to jump back in soon.