St. Louis

One other St. Louis culinary highlight that always gets missed, but shouldn’t (especially if you’re a meat eater): Lion’s Choice.

It’s a locally-run chain of fast-food restaurants that does for the simple roast beef sandwich what In N Out Burger or Five Guys does for cheeseburgers. It elevates the genre.

They actually cook the roast beef–from scratch–daily. These aren’t pre-cooked roasts. The difference is amazing. If you get lucky enough to get medium to medium rare, all the better. Amazing what that simple sandwich with a slice of swiss cheese on their homemade buns can taste like. Honest-to-gosh, that’s the thing I miss most about not living in The Lou any more. Also, homemade fries, freezes, milkshakes, etc.

On those hot blistering nights, nothing was more refreshing than a frozen custard from Ted Drewes.

Mmmm… Concrete.

Born in STL, lived most of my life here (mostly St. Louis County)…

Oghier’s post, and the others, mostly on the money. A few things I’d disagree with or add:

Politics:
St. Louis is actually fairly close to the political middle. The state as a whole is somewhat conservative, thanks to it’s more rural areas and the Southeastern portion (Springfield). But the St. Louis metro area is less conservative than the state, and approximates the nation’s political views. More specifically, the city proper of St. Louis is quite to the left of the nation, the county of St. Louis (a separate political entity) is slightly to the left of the nation, and the outer counties (St. Charles, Jefferson, etc) are pretty conservative. Overall it represents a fairly broad spectrum. If you work in Frontenac, you’ll most likely want to live somewhere in St. Louis County, and even within the county there are areas that are conservative, liberal, and centrist…

Climate:
It is hot and humid in the summer, but it’s really only bad for 6-8 weeks. St. Louis is a 4 season climate. We get hot in the summer, cold in the winter (with some snow, but not a ton). Personally, I like this seasonal variation, mostly. I realize it’s not to taste for some folks. Even the summers aren’t too bad to cope with. During the hot part of the year, you focus on getting outside in the morning, or close to dusk, or on the occasional day that is cooler than normal.

Parks:
St. Louis has a lot of green space in and around it. Within the city, there are at least two really nice parks (Forest Park and Tower Grove Park), plus a nice botanical garden. In the county there are more parks. Within a reasonable drive there are nice state/national parks that are good for camping, hiking, boating, etc. The topography in general is rolling hills, with lots of trees on the green spaces - I find it attractive. (The urban parks are more flat though).

Culture:
St. Louis is big enough to have more or less one of everything, culturally. Some things are world class, IMO (our zoo, botanical garden, Magic House (childrens’ museum), perhaps our symphony, though I’m not as big on symphony’s in general). Some are not world class, but are solid (science center, history museum, art museum). Many of these attractions are cheap or free (occasionally with avoidable charges for some aspects - parking, special exhibits, etc).

So, some drawbacks:
Far from beach/ocean, far from mountains…
Relatively far from other cities (Chicago, Memphis, Kansas City are all in the 4.5-5.5ish hour range)
Somewhat insular (i.e. higher % of folks here grew up here, versus, say, Bay Area), which I can imagine would be less appealing to a transplant. To some extent, this depends where you live.
Area is in long term economic stagnation. Not really decline - the population, and, I think, the economy, of the area as a whole is still growing. But its growing more slowly than the nation as a whole.

In general, I’d say that St. Louis is a big enough city that you can find your niche, for most niches anyways.

If you provide more info on your life situation (25, single, urban hipster, or 45, married with 2 kids, and looking for a nice house with a yard, or whatever) and interests, you may get more direct feedback on aspects of St. Louis that may appeal to you.

Just saw this post by one of my favorite food bloggers and it made me laugh:

Ha! I like Imo’s. Back in the day you could swap the provel for mozzarella but they no longer let you do that. What I like is that the crust is very thin so I get to enjoy what I like best about pizza – the sauce, cheese, and toppings – without filling up on crust.

But never fear. There are plenty of places in St. Louis to get all kinds of pizza, from New York style to Chicago deep dish. One of my favorite pizzas is at the Black Thorn Pub near Tower Grove Park. All they serve is pizza, cheese bread, and salad. They make a great deep dish pizza. They make their pizza sauce from scratch and it’s the best sauce I’ve tasted on a pizza.

I’m finally settled enough to reply. I have been here a month today and have been back to back with work home buying and all the other stuff you need to do to relocate. I bought a house in Chesterfield. $152K for a 5 bedroom three bath house that would have cost $800K in Boston.
I tried St. Louis pizza tonight. It’s OK but I’m not in love.
The people are wonderful. I can see why people live the earnest Midwestern types. I’m settled here forever unless I get offered millions to work in San Diego.
I’d love to meet any and all of you. Private message me and we can have a beer or game night or something. I’d love to have a Q23 meet up group on the semi regular.

Awesome!

The Fields Of Chester (ha, sorry, jokey reference by a friend who lives there) are a fantastic place to live. Whenever I’m back and visiting my hometown, would love to be part of a Qt3 meetup

Dont know where you had your pzza, but listen to Triggercut. drive out to Pio’s in St. Charles. Not far from Chesterfield. Best pizza around. Lived 10 minutes from the place ate there all the time

I grew up eating Pio’s–it was my grandparents and parents favorite pizza place.

Last time I was there (2013 or so), it was still the same sort of creepy 1970’s David Lynch atmosphere inside. And the pizza? Same amazing recipe. Still just slays every other St. Louis style pizza I’ve ever had.

There’s all kinds of different pizza types in St. Louis. If you want a great deep-dish pie try Black Forest Pub near Tower Grove park. It’s a dive bar that only serves pizza, salad, and cheese bread, but the pizza is great. They make their own pizza sauce and you can tell.

I’m surprised you got a 5 bedroom, 3 bath in Chesterfield for $152k. I know St. Louis housing is cheap for the most part, but that’s one of the nicer areas in St. Louis.

I’m up for a meetup. March is busy for me – going out of town for a couple of weekends – but sometime after that would be great. I’ve been wanting to try some kind of monthly boardgame get-together.

Man, that’s crazy. $152k would maybe pay for my bathroom here in NYC.

It’s crazy for that area in St. Louis for a house that size. From Zillow:

“The median list price per square foot in Chesterfield is $156, which is higher than the St. Louis Metro average of $103. The median price of homes currently listed in Chesterfield is $375,000 while the median price of homes that sold is $315,791.”

I live 15 miles out from Seattle and I don’t think you could even get a mobile home in my town for under $200k.

St Louis resident here also (well actually St. Peters, but close enough). If you all are interested in a boardgame meetup, let me know. I keep buying them but have only my wife to play them with. Have Dead of Winter arriving today and a box full of the new Scum and Villiany ships for the X-wing minis game also enroute.

I’d like to do a boardgame meetup. My brother lives in the St. Charles area. He’d probably come. I might be able to get one of my boys to come too.

St. Louis style thin crust pizza is best pizza. The crust is there for texture and delivery of the topping flavors only. Its so much better than thin crust pizza anywhere else. The provel cheese is also key to the experience. Both of my parents are from the greater St. Louis area, that is how i was exposed to it. I fucking love Imo’s, but the one-off places are even better.

I order provel about once a year and make my own pizza but I can not get the crust right so its always disappointing, but still good.

I propose we do this get-together! I would like to try Blackthorn’s pizza. I am not a fan of the provel. Who’s in?

I would love to go. Weekends are best for me. I work until 7pm M-F and I bike it home, so weeknights are me going home and going to sleep a few hours later. Blackthorns is cool though.

Cool, I was thinking weekend. Anyone else up for a qt3 st Louis pizza night?