Stadia - Google's vision for the future of gaming

That’s a funny failure mode of State Share that I hadn’t considered: collaborative features move from in-game to social networks. So they’re good for getting you playing, but not at keeping you playing.

Nice going, Stadia.

I was just thinking about game subs vs Netflix and it reminded me that post-lockdown, I’m now happy to watch random clips on Youtube just to see if I like a show - and if it’s a show I start and decide “wow there’s tons of filler I don’t care about” or “the actual plot isn’t interesting, turns out I only wanted to see this minor subplot” I can just search for clips that cover that and watch those.

I wonder if that would be a good use of state share. Kinda like a more fine-grained chapter select - plus you don’t have to play through the game to access content. If you don’t feel like playing all 100 hours of the game because it’s packed full of grind, you can just jump to all the interesting bosses, try out all the interesting features, hit all the important cutscenes…

You could even go further, if you have some of the ability they describe in Pixeljunk to get state to carry back to your game. It would kinda be the worst/best possible case of open world/non-linear gameplay - you can go anywhere and anywhen in the story. Pick up end-game loot. Learn clues in the wrong order. See the super secret side boss. That would be a pretty unique gameplay gimmick…

I was hoping raiders would be better. Loved some of their other games, even the one about soup planets.

Anyways, new with the pro sub looks good this month:

Resident evil 7
Spongebob bikini bottom
Ys 8
Pikuniku

Was there any press about PC Epic game store users getting the formerly-exclusive-to-Stadia “Crayta” game creation system added to their account?

Redditer summary of filings on Stadia competitor Shadow’s bankruptcy reorganization:

Free 3 months of pro:

[Stadia] Stadia Pro 3 or 4 months free - RedFlagDeals.com Forums

It’s a trial, so you need the credit card & remember to unsubscribe.

Gotta sign up for Lenovo, confirm email, and a Discord (throwaway on website works). Took me 4 minutes.

What games are on “Pro” now?

• Ary Secret of Seasons
  • Avicii Invector
  • Crayta
  • Cthulhu Saves Christmas
  • El Hijo
  • Enter the Gungeon
  • Everspace
  • Figment
  • Gunsport
  • Hitman 2016
  • Human Fall Flat
  • Journey to Savage Planet
  • Lara Guardian of Light
  • Little Nightmares 2
  • Orcs Must Die 3
  • Pacman Mega Tunnel
  • Pikuniku
  • Pixeljunk Raiders
  • PUBG
  • Reigns
  • Republique
  • Resident Evil 7
  • Spongebob Bikini Bottom Rehydrated
  • Steamworld Dig
  • Steamworld Heist
  • Submerged
  • Ys 8

So…I have a fairly crappy PC, 4th gen i7, 16 gigs of ram, and a 2g GPU. I’ve been playing some stuff through Stadia via my Ubi+ subscription. I have to say, for me, it’s amazing. I’ve been mostly playing Far Cry 5, and Assassins Creed: Origins, and they both run amazing well, and look great. I have no discernable input lag (at least not to a point it bothers me), and the games both have run without any kind of artifice, screen tearing, stutters etc. These games run and look far better running via Stadia, than they do running on my machine native.

For me personally, I see a lot of value in this service, because it allows me to play newish games that would otherwise eat my PC. I’m almost always in a position of ‘way behind the curve’ on my PCs, so this is fantastic.

After reading all the stuff about Stadia, I was actually shocked at how well it worked. I’ve played both of those games for hours, and have yet to encounter a single hiccup. Being able to just click on a title, and be up and running within 30 seconds…no downloads, no patches, no bullshit library installs… it’s pretty awesome in my book. /shrug.

If you always have a fairly up to date and beefy gaming rig, sure, you can make a case for all that comes with that, but a lot of people in the world aren’t in that position. The appeal of not having to have a top end PC, and still have access to new releases is one that really hits the right mark for me.

Yep. You’ve just made the case for why this is ultimately going to beat out everything else out there. It may take some time - just like with streaming movies - but it’s inevitable IMO. Having your own device will be niche, like having a dvd player.

I was very skeptical at first but after spending some time with Stadia + Geforce NOW I’d have to agree. This is the future for sure. It’s just going to take a while to propagate.

Yes, and internet bandwidth caps will need to be released, which is another thing I do think will happen, but the cable companies will fight it to their last breath.

GFN is a better solution than Stadia overall, but if your Ubi+ games work there go for it.

I agree. I meant that I think cloud gaming is the future rather than Stadia specifically. GFN is definitely the better service.

I liked the cheeky headline The Verge used.

New with pro:

• Floor Kids
    Live out your breakdancing fantasies in this hand-drawn, stylish rhythm game.
  • Hotline Miami 2
  • Trine 4

This took me about 20 minutes so far. And I finally got the code, but it turns out you need to be a member of Stadio Pro to redeem the code. Which, to be fair, it says that in the forums you linked to, but it says it after all the other instructions, so I didn’t know I wasn’t eligible until I went through all this already.

My diehard Stadia loyalist friend cancelled two weeks ago, and just said this month’s games didn’t make him want to come back. This guy had been playing Stadia on some of the worst Internet you can buy for $50/mo, with a crappy router, and still defending it. That’s a sign.