Stadia - Google's vision for the future of gaming

Right, but I was wondering where the heck the cloud gaming was going to come from if they’re shutting down stadia servers. The answer is: GFN.

Oh sure, yeah, this was originally intended for Stadia. Not that it would have succeeded even if Stadia itself was a success, because ain’t nobody paying $650 for a Chromebook.

I mean, GeForce Now gets what killed Stadia: Having access to games in my Steam/Epic libraries that I already own instead of having to buy them again. Still not EVERYTHING is supported, but day 1 I signed up, I already had a bunch of games available to me.

I think Stadia’s whole idea of having to buy games specifically on their platform was really a hindrance, when coupled with Google’s tendency to shut their services down.

Dear Stadia Player,

As part of Stadia’s wind-down process, today we’re beginning to process the refunds we outlined in our September 29 announcement. We’re getting in touch to let you know what to expect over the next couple of weeks.

How will your Stadia Store refund(s) be processed?

We will attempt to automatically refund each transaction to the form of payment used to make the purchase. In the event that the refund was not successful, you will receive an email with a link to choose another form of payment to issue the refund to.

For Stadia Players that have deleted their Google account, we will still attempt to automatically refund the transaction to the original form of payment.

When will you receive your refund?

We have begun issuing refunds and Stadia will attempt to automatically process refunds for all purchases of games, add-on content and subscriptions fees other than Stadia Pro made through the Stadia store.

We ask for your patience as we work through each transaction and that you refrain from contacting Customer Support as they will be unable to expedite your refund during this time. We expect the majority of refunds to be processed by January 18th, 2023.

I’m waiting for my 99 cent refund!

I’m getting like twenty bucks, bought the premiere launch bundle or whatever a year in when it got really cheap just for future nostalgia purposes.

And maybe thinking I’d use the controller on PC, but I’ve already got an XSX controller, two x360s somewhere, steam controller, and the gamepad that came with a shieldTV so probably not.

I bought the Stadia Founders Edition in Dec 2019 because the month before my gaming PC died. For the short term it was a great solution to play the latest games like Cyberpunk and Doom Eternal. Over the next year two, I bought quite a few games it seems.

Google started refunding me tonight for each purchase individually, so my email has been like a slot machine paying out, $79.99, 79.99, 39.99 etc etc. Ding Ding Ding!!!

So far I am up to $623.00 and they haven’t even refunded the hardware yet, which is an additional $169.00.

I didn’t realize I had spent so much on games, so it is really a pleasant surprise. I have since replaced my gaming pc, so I haven’t used Stadia in about a year but definitely got my money’s worth. The refunds are just gravy.

I am still using the Chromecast Ultra, which is a great piece of hardware, and I
think the controller can be used with Windows via USB, but not sure.

I got my 99 cents back for Borderlands 3 ultimate edition.

Ubisoft giving people the people who bought games on Stadia a copy of those games on UbiConnect or Uplay or whatever it’s called now.

Makes me wish I’d bought some cheap discounted Ubigames on Stadia now.

That’s really sweet. :) I have low opinions of executive management but I’m sorry that the hard work of the individual designers and engineers had to be shut down.

Good news for you folks that got the controller.

The free controller.

Although I plan to keep mine new in box as a keepsake.

I honestly can’t remember if I threw mine away or kept it and just can’t find it from when we moved in August.

This is the last day if anyone has stuff they want to finish playing.

The tool to convert your Stadia controllers to Bluetooth is up.

Interesting that it’s completely browser-based. But that also means it’s only available until the end of 2023, so don’t dawdle.

Saving this here since the site will go away next year.

Updated easily enough. Problem is the bluetooth connection is extremely weak; I can only get it to pair if I hold it below my desk next to the computer. It’s a desktop and this is the first time I’ve ever actually played around with the bluetooth, and I don’t even have the wifi antennas installed because the desktop is plugged-in to 10Gbe, so this is very likely my fault.

I guess I could test it with my shieldTV and iPad and whatnot but actually I don’t much care. I updated it, checked it worked, then put it back in the box. It’s a keepsake.

The site is going away but people already captured all the firmware payloads so even if you forget to do it, I have confidence you won’t end up with a bricked gamepad in 2024.

Bluetooth uses that antenna too, so you’ll get a much stronger signal if you plug it in.

Right, that’s probably the issue, that’s why I brought it up.