Stadia - Google's vision for the future of gaming

So like 255 terabits per second fiber , throttled to 25Mbps.

:)

You guys read the first line, right?

Google invited me out to its downtown LA YouTube Gaming creator’s space—away from the Internet-congested E3 show floor—to try out the latest build of Stadia.

That’s what makes this entirely suspect. They specifically took him away from E3 and some “jamoke running the booth”. This was specifically a Google controlled environment.

You guys know that many of us already demoed this technology on our home PCs, right? It’s not smoke and mirrors.

Yup. Everyone crying foul on this is nuts. Odyssey ran with no hitching in a browser on an 8-year-old laptop in my home. Was it perfect? No. Was it good enough? Yes.

Sure, I was one of the people who demoed it. But I have a 100mbit connection, and still got the occasional graphical glitch. I don’t doubt that the technology works in a theoretical best case scenario, it just came off as odd.

Everyone quoting Mbps numbers is missing the true issue. 25Mbps but 20ms ping time > 1Gbps with 50ms ping time.

Ping time and network reliability (e.g. are packets getting dropped on the way to you) are what’s going to matter. Mbps is a secondary concern as long as you have the baseline.

Let the person take the chromebook to some random apartment with a average cable connection and have them play it at 8PM when everybody else is online too…without a hitch.

That’s the real world.

God how I miss those days! Buying rolls of quarters at the bank…Asteroids, PinBot, Triple Action, Skylab, Uriah Heep’s “Easy Livin’” and BTO’s “Roll On Down The Highway” playing on the jukebox…(not necessarily in that order) Hanging out at the arcade with my buds…And I think I’m a little older than most of you.

Sorry, I’m just a bit behind in this thread, and am slowly catching up.

Hey, I for one love shopping for and purchasing and assembling hardware. It’s a big part of what I enjoy about this hobby. And no doubt I’ll still be able to do that, although anytime something like Stadia comes along, I do feel instinctively threatened. Hell, I even felt threatened when Steam came along with its activation “feature”, although I very gradually have adjusted to that. Thus I worry that I may also become adjusted to streaming games as well.

GOG, please don’t go anywhere, or change your non-DRM stance. You’re my only hope remaining for the self-containment of games. As long as GOG remains viable, I won’t be tempted by all the other latest and “hot” new platforms.

Don’t forget the fistfights after you keep blocking their constant predictable shoryukens.

Huh, it looks like they finally gifted me a copy of AC Origins to my Uplay. I know I didn’t play the full minimum hour required. So I got that going for me, which is nice.

3996 of them are Steam asset flippers and junkware developers I’m sure.

Epic made a ton of money on Fortnite and is throwing cash around to buy PC exclusives.

Now imagine Google doing something similar, with a warchest that utterly dwarfs Epic’s. Imagine if Google decided pushing Stadia was a real priority, and devoted, say, 1% of their revenue to it. That would be over a billion dollars.

Unlike Epic exclusives, what you describe would actually be harmful to the games industry, and not just PC gaming - unlike the Epic Games Store, Stadia isn’t just competing with Steam.

This is what I’ve been saying. Whatever you think about Epic’s exclusive strategy, they’re doing a great job of showing much worse actors how to forcefully acquire a significant chunk of the market.

Let’s not pretend Epic invented the idea of buying one’s way into a market position.

Anything that normalizes shitty behavior encourages more shitty behavior. It hardly matters though, the whole point here is that Google’s capacity to do harm far exceeds anything Epic (or Steam, or anyone else in the industry for that matter) could ever do.

I guess we all think that Epic and Google are somehow pioneering the idea of buying content? Does nobody remember Microsoft buying Bungie and making HALO an Xbox exclusive?

I don’t think anyone thinks that. Certainly Epic is beating the competition on volume here of late, though. And, of course, it’s a shitty thing to do no matter who’s doing it.