Stadia - Google's vision for the future of gaming

they already created consoles so they have full control, but PC gaming still exist.

Only when the last script engine or compiler is removed from a pc, pc gaming will stop
and while pc gaming exist, people will own games, mod games and create new genres like Mobas, Battle royales, etc.

monopolies are strong economically, but not very creative, and this is a creation industry

yep, thats my conclusion too. They can do this. They will probably not. They are not going to assign 10 machines to a single user so his lag is lower.

anyway all this will do is cut the server (client) response… the data is still on a google computer farm, and not on your screen, … must travel from google to your screen, and there will incurr in a latency, hence the latency will be positive.

Your logic breaks down already at this first step, since you appear to have the basic facts wrong.

This is exactly the surprising part about the apparent endgame of Stadia business model. It’s not really a subscription model; access to game isn’t gated by subscriptions, you have to buy the games. The part that is gated behind a subscription is access to the 4k streaming, but access to 1080p60 is free.

With no subscription fee, all of your points 1, 2, 3, and 6 are invalid. For points 4 and 5, Google would literally be the best placed company to in the world to know whether the conditions are now in place or not, just from Youtube traffic data. Why would they be launching this if a sufficient penetration of high speed internet access wasn’t there?

Of course no platform has access to the exclusives of other platforms. That’s what the word means! But none of the three platforms you listed has access to the exclusives of the two other platforms either. Microsoft hardly has barely had any exclusives for this whole generation (and paid the price for it).

But it’s an interesting question whether the exclusives matter that much in the streaming model. They’re important with physical consoles since that’s what gets people to buy the hardware, and once they have the hardware the hope is that they’ll buy the non-exclusives on that platform as well. But there’s basically no up-front investment required here.

Try making that completely logical argument to the people hating on the Epic store.

At any rate, exclusives certainly matter to the stores, even if consumers shouldn’t care.

Yea they matter. It one of the several factors to keep people with the other platforms. If the people are still getting a machine like the PS5 or Scarlett for exclusives then why bother with streaming? Google has to offer something clearly superior or clearly less expensive with the same library or gamers are just going to shrug and go play their PlayStation, Xbox and or PC still.

Possible but extremely expensive. I’m not seeing it.

Not really the same thing. Epic is competing directly with steam for the same consumer base. Stadia is offering a different service so I don’t think exclusives are as important to compete as they are for epic.

Sure. But then the people buying the physical hardware need to amortize the cost of the hardware across just exclusives, not across all games. If you have to buy expensive hardware up front to play anything, the exclusives guide the selection. But if you could play most third-party AAA games without buying dedicated hardware, at a similar quality? Well, then maybe you don’t buy hardware at all, and the exclusives matter less.

Google has to offer something clearly superior or clearly less expensive with the same library or gamers are just going to shrug and go play their PlayStation, Xbox and or PC still.

This is a good illustration of a fundamental mistake a lot of posters in this thread keep making, by thinking of this in terms of “gamers”.

There’s three groups of people:

• Ones with no proper gaming hardware.
  • Ones with the gaming hardware for one platform.
  • Ones with the gaming hardware for multiple platforms.

QT3 is going to be skewed really heavily toward the last category. It feels like everyone has a gaming PC and a current gen console; some will have two consoles, and a few will have all three relevant ones. We are not the target market [0]. Even the people in the second category aren’t the target market.

It’s the first (by far the largest) group that matters, and the value to them should be obvious. Since they don’t have the hardware yet, the cost of entry is $60 for the game and $300 for the console. In this model it’s just the $60 for a game. That’s your “clearly less expensive” right there, for a large segment of people who’d like to play games. Just not people like us, who are probably buying the hardware anyway.

[0] Well, most of the time. I’m on the road for a month or two each year. Streaming games would be really interesting there. But I suspect that in the long term Microsoft will have a better streaming story for this kind of use case.

FWIW, I’ve probably spent more time with the Stadia platform than most here and while it’s not perfect, the tech pretty much works as advertised.

I think the bandwidth concerns are a bit overblown although you will definitely need a relatively fast connection in order to have a decent experience. I suspect anyone who can stream YT videos in HD w/o too much lag will be fine.

The whole business model is another story - I think it’ll have more legs as a complementary platform to console gamers than as a sole gaming platform but I guess we’ll see.

How, you’re in a beta program? If not under NDA, dish.

Which is exactly why the industry will do its level best to force it down everyone’s throat by any means necessary.

I am under NDA so don’t think I can share too much, unfortunately.

Fair enough, good to hear it’s generally positive anyway.

Your first group makes no sense.

What do you call someone who doesn’t own a PlayStation or an Xbox, or a gaming PC, or a Nintendo system? Not a gamer.

The first group you list has zero value. They don’t play games.

Google has to convince actual gamers to fundamentally change how they play and “own” a game.

You’re not alone. I wrote a whole thread about that particular hilarity.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/1182297904830177280

He said proper hardware, which presumably can include people like me with an 960 in 2019. Or people who would buy a controller to play more good games on an iPad or whatever.
I’d bet that that group doesn’t care either, but who knows.

I can’t even stop laughing.

All of the above.

I am under NDA. AMA.

You call them a parent of small children. Mobile is a very significant share of video gaming. Any many of my peers are former gamers who have had life happen. They’d love to dabble some in modern AAA gaming, but don’t want to make the time and money investment that a modern console or gaming PC represents.