Stadia - Google's vision for the future of gaming

Microsoft: “So we heard you want to play next gen games with just a monthly payment option.”

All very bad deals, given that the $1 to turn a 2+ year XBL subscription into Game Pass Ultimate thing still works.

And since they’re talking about APR these are actually real loans, so your credit will be impacted, you’ll be stuck with a piece of hardware for the full duration, and so on. Not like signing up to a streaming service where you can cancel your subscription at any time.

Yeah that XBONE X deal is horrifically bad $744+tax for 24 months. Its way cheaper to get a XBONE X that usually comes with a free game ($400 ish), and then add gamepass time at the going deal rates. I’ve spent around $170 on gamepass time, but I am paid up till 10/2022, most recently thanks to Taco Bell!

Yeah, it seems like a really bad deal to me too. After one year of this service you could have just bought an Xbox One S and there will always be deals to get the game pass subscription at a better rate just like there was with XBOX gold all the time.

I’m not saying it’s a good deal or a bad deal, but it’s “pay a certain amount monthly” to game.

You guys are also all missing the part where when the new XBox comes out you box it up, send it in, and they send you the new one (along with an updated billing agreement).

The promo prices everyone is citing as cheaper are going away very soon I suspect.

Sure, and once that happens the calculus will change.

Fact is the “right price” for MS Game Pass Ultimate right now is just over five dollars per month, not the $15/month list price.

You need to clarify your assumptions. If you don’t own an Xbox, as I believe you do not, and are only interested in Ultimate for access to the PC games in the library, then I could see the value being about $5 per month. I’d be willing to pay more, personally, to have access to both PC and Xbox libraries, plus multiplayer on console.

Game Pass Ultimate alone is worth $5.04/month. The Xbone hardware is worth whatever that costs now. Add that to $121 for 2 years of game pass ultimate then divide by 24 to see if any of the above are good deals. Pretty simple stuff.

Modern gaming is too complicated.

Or you can say: for the price just a bit higher than my Netflix subscription, I can enjoy AAA gaming (with a library of games that would cost me hundreds or thousands of dollars to buy) on my television, and after 2 years I’ll own a new device as well.

I know deal sites are pretty common and consumers savvy, but pricing GP ultimate at $5.04/month is weird.

Only if you look at what is being offered. Otherwise it seems like it might sound more like this pitch: for 20 dollars a month you can keep your kids entertained for 2 years, and they won’t ask for anything else around video games.

Kids are for chumps. I do my own gaming.

No it’s not. That is literally what it costs to buy two years of XBL Gold at list price plus one dollar to turn that into two years of MS Game Pass Ultimate. That is simply what it costs right now.

$399: Xbox One X, list price
+ $121: 2 years of MS Game Pass Ultimate, with the $1 deal
-------------------------------------------------------------------
= $520
/ 24 months
= $21.67

So anything under $21.67/month for a XboneX plus MSGPU is a deal. Unfortunately, MS is charging $30.99/month, which is an additional two hundred twenty four dollars out of your pocket. It’s a whopping 30% premium.

That assumes you pay list price for the XBoneX and XBL Gold too. Both of those are often discounted even during the year, and Black Friday is coming up and there will certainly be deals. The XboneX will definitely come down to $350, and maybe even $299.

The new console deal though does probably make it worth it pricewise, though maybe not as you could sell your XBX and probably make up the difference in the price of Project I Don’t Give a Damn or whatever they’re calling the new console.

Nope. They’ll force you to sign a new two year commitment. If you plan to upgrade in a year you can simply sell the old Xbone.

Again once that $1 deal is done this will all change. For now it’s unbeatable.

Yea, I did the math in the Xbone thread:

For anyone who shops around at all, it’s a terrible deal.

So, I think it fits here as sort of “what kind of math is Stadia going to need to compete with” but I will say that the deal sites have rated this deal as Stusser has… i.e. completely not worth it.

Maybe MS will clarify the console trade-in business and say that all the money you pay up front will apply towards the new console or reduce the price, but until then you are all correct that it’s not really a good deal for anyone who is deal savvy for sure. I didn’t post it in the hardware bargains thread for a reason.

There is no upfront cost, you just pay whatever amount per month. When the Xbone Scarlet comes out they’ll ask you to sign a new two year commitment and pay a monthly fee which will be equal to or greater than $30.99/month. Then you’ll have to return the XboneX, meaning you paid MS $371.88 over 12 months and ended up with, well, nothing at all. And that’s fine, you won’t end up with much with Stadia either, but it’s a completely different business model.

JFC45