Stadia - Google's vision for the future of gaming

“The best platforms for games tend to be things that don’t just have games on them” is an insightful comment, but I don’t see how Stadia’s technology is applicable to anything other than games. I mean yes, sure, streaming video is important, but YouTube and Twitch and the rest have got that covered pretty darn well.

Nobody wants thin clients; it’s 2019, your cellphone has enough power for standard office tasks. So what else can Stadia tech do?

Theoretically you could run desktop apps on it, but most of those have web versions already. You can get Word, Photoshop, etc. through a browser.

There might be a niche market for people who need render capacity on demand, like engineering firms…

I addressed that with the thin client thing. Nobody cares about that in 2019.

High power compute stuff definitely applies but that’s a tiny market, not exactly analagous to the PS2 is also a DVD player analogy.

It will do as well as Ouya and OnLive.

Amazing how Google has crippled itself with its mass cancellations. Nobody has confidence that a product they’ve poured 10s of millions of dollars into will stick around. If it weren’t for their monopoly on search, this company would be bankrupt.

That’s not really true, barely anyone has an email client, there’s people and companies dependent on Google Docs or Office 365 (or whatever the name is) and YouTube is more popular than BluRay. Of course, the client isn’t really thin either. It varies.
There’s some market for game streaming, how big and at what price/features are the questions. For this offer, well, probably not a significant one.

Fighting games are very lag intolerant, though Mortal Kombat has by far the best netcode.

This isn’t the only fighitng game on Stadia though. Samurai Shodown is also on Stadia, and that game uses inferior 1990s-era Japanese netcode from antiquated Japanese business practices.

(yes, I’m salty about that, Samsho is an excellent game marred by poor netcode- managed to get out of pools at EVO in Samsho too)

Seriously, if folks here want to pick up a fighter- Samsho would be my recommendation. It’s really well designed, and has a unique feel. Mortal Kombat despite having great netcode is still Mortal Kombat (Killer Instinct is the only good American fighter)

Shouldn’t a game’s netcode be irrelevant on Stadia? What matters is Stadia’s netcode, no?

Yes, this i what you’d think.

I saw a youtube video about Stadia’s launch earlier this week and I had to do some serious googling to figure out what exactly the service is trying to get me to buy. For $10 a month I get to play as much as I want of those launch titles right? I mean, that’s totally it, I’m not missing anything am I?

Not digging the launch lineup (nor the ones they announced that are coming soon). I don’t like shooters, brawlers or platformers so for the most part I’m not impressed at the games.

I’m not seeing the value proposition here for myself.

Maybe I’m confused too then. I thought you had to buy those games to play them. If they are doing a $10/month service type thing that gives me access to stuff like Red Dead 2 and the others than that isn’t as bad as I thought.

Yes, you have to buy the games individually, except for Destiny 2. They will apparently add more free games in the future, though.

No, you have to buy games separately, individually on top of the $10 fee.

Wait… I have to buy the games and ALSO pay $10 a month? That makes no sense to me.

And in that case it’s a terrible value proposition.

If you’re playing a multiplayer game the game’s netcode still matters because the game has to communicate with whatever instance the other player is running on (or a dedicated server in the case of something like Destiny). Unless you’re going to hard limit multiplayer to players in the same datacenter, that still means the game’s netcode has to do its thing and you get the additional latency of that extra trip.

I believe that it’s actually not like that in the final way it’ll work, and that the pricing during this introductory period is different?

Although an important thing to remember here is that this isn’t just a games service. This is a games and hardware service. You’re paying so that you don’t need to own high end hardware yourself.

It’s paying for another Internet bill before you have any games. It’s not like GamePass.

You can buy the games through Stadia, then play them for free through Stadia. 1080p stereo sound. That’s the “free tier” coming in 2020.

You can pay $10 a month for the Stadia Pro service. That gets you 4K 60fps HDR sound streaming.

If you buy the game through Stadia, is the game only available then by streaming through Stadia? Or is there an option to download?

If you buy through Stadia, then there is no option to “download” the game. You must play through Stadia.