Stadia - Google's vision for the future of gaming

Maybe we can brainstorm some other outrageous stuff that Google might do while we’re all here in one thread.

I heard that Stadia will require a blood and stool sample to verify your identity. WTF Google?!? NOBODY ASKED FOR THAT!

No need for a PC on the enduser’s side, the whole point of Stadia is it plays on anything, it’s just an app. The rest of those costs are all on Google, and they have effectively infinite resources. How long they’re committed to losing money on this service is of course a yet unanswered question.

I included sales and incentives in my list of stuff Google should do to make Stadia succeed earlier in the thread. Confidence Google won’t kill Stadia will just take time, nothing to do about that.

I would be very surprised if Google is charging studios to run games. The reverse, actually-- I’d bet Google is paying off devs to publish on Stadia.

Ah, apologies. I meant the game-of-the-month club: PS+ and whatever it is that XBox does. For me that’s the only value proposition for those $10/month. OTOH, I own a PS4 and a (10 year old) gaming PC, so I’m apparently not the target audience.

Yes, but anything that isn’t from a competitor, dated, still receives security updates and probably isn’t a PC, which would render it mostly moot. Since not everyone has a recent chromecast, it’s a cost.

Said no incumbent ever. Either they can be reflected on product cost, or they’ll re-purpose the servers for more neural networks that print them money instead.

What do you mean, moot? If you have a smart TV, it’ll run on your TV. If you have a Roku or FireTV, it’ll run there. Etc. Anyone who watches Netflix on their TV has that stuff.

Google knows the service will lose money to start out. That’s a given. The only question is how long they’re willing to sustain that, waiting for the turnaround, before giving up on it.

What do you mean, moot?

If you have a PC, you’ll just run the game on the PC directly.

If you have a smart TV, it’ll run on your TV.

If you have one, and one that can install apps and security updates.

If you have a Roku or FireTV, it’ll run there.

I wouldn’t know, and neither does most of the world.

We don’t know what Google’s expectations are for launch, but considering how hard they’re trying to temper expectations, I image they’re not super aggressive. This is a paid beta.

Yes, it’s a deliberately slow rollout.

I’m still not clear what the heck perky goth is talking about. Anything that can run an app will run Stadia. Can’t beat that coverage.

The one thing I’m not sure about is platforms. It seems like Google is dialing back all the talk about using WiFi for their controller, so even next year when they expand platforms, it might require Bluetooth and/or USB. Which means yes to most mobile devices, but set top boxes will be hit and miss. Roku doesn’t support external controllers, and a lot of native smart TV platforms are limited in that regard as well. Android TV and AppleTV are fine though.

Well their controller does support wifi, so that should be a fixable problem. It’s definitely just wired at launch though, not even bluetooth.

The need to port to Stadia will be a huge drag on the service when Xbox and Playstation will be streaming the same build that’s used for local clients.

Well sure, but they needed to be built for Xbone/PS4 in the first place. Stadia is just another platform, to start, with no actual users yet. That’s an obstacle they need to surmount and offering some sort of easy porting from Windows would help a lot.

Maybe it’s just a different culture. I barely know anyone who has anything that runs apps connected to a TV, just a couple of rare Android TV/Chromecast things that are probably not powerful enough (and wireless). It’s probably an artifact of bundled TV and Fiber packages.

I mean I have a Roku that runs everything on our TV. Cable, Netflix, Disney, PBS, Pandora, you name it.

I still think Stusser is nuts. This service stinks on ice for me.

Power is completely meaningless. Anything that can stream Netflix is powerful enough.

Not sure if it’s covered but the main thing that the Pro subscription is going to get you for 4K streaming + a free game per month. It’s basically their version of the Playstation Plus model, but tied to streaming quality vs multi-player access.

Related

“Input lag noticeable in competitive games”

Show of hands, who’s surprised?

Also I will never get over praising install times. For most games I’m sinking dozens of hours into them, and complaining about the install time is like being upset with my meal because it was raining when I went to pick up my pizza. Would I rather shorter or longer installation times? Shorter, of course. But that has literally never been a meaningful selling point to me.