Stadia - Google's vision for the future of gaming

So what I am getting is if you have a well above average connection, and you’re nerd enough to actually connect things with a cord, then this might be great for you so long as you don’t want to play anything that can’t handle lag.

Ummm…

So much for playing on every device in my house.

Reviews are… not great. This is like I’m reading OnLive posts again.

That really is inferior image quality-- but it should be 60fps, which compensates in gameplay. Not impressive, but not disqualifying either.

Those game prices actually seem better than expected. I honestly did not think that they would ever discount anything to $10 just since that needs to cover the cost of running the game as well. Obviously nobody is going to buy TR 2013 in the year 2019 no matter what the price, but this at least suggests that they might run sales that are competitive with the existing stores.

But holy crap those image quality comparisons are rough, and the load times on the Giant Bomb stream weren’t exactly amazing. It makes one wonder even more about launching with only the Stadia Pro. That product didn’t make a ton of sense to start with, but it makes even less sense if the image quality is so clearly inferior to a Xbox One X.

I don’t think that’s it. Check the Shadow of the Tomb Raider comparisons in the Eurogamer article (which offers a choice of 30 or 60 fps on both platforms).

RDR2 is 1440p running at medium at 30fps.

Everything advertised is “up to” 4K60fps.

Wouldn’t RDR2 look better at 1080p on High @ 30fps?

Ahh that’s one of the games that doesn’t make it up to 4k or 60. Sucks.

It doesn’t make sense , I mean if all the work is being done at the google side, it would seem they aren’t throwing enough processing power cpu/gpu at it.

Their current GPUs are a fixed equivalent of one of the current Radeons aren’t they?

How on Earth did this launch with an app that only works on Google Pixel phones. Isn’t it being mobile half the selling point? You need to be on everyone’s phone!

No, they’re the equivalent of the previous generation, the Vega 64, which basically performed like a GTX1080.

Is Eurogamer mistaken about this? I thought at launch they weren’t going to connect directly to the cloud but had to be bluetoothed or wired in?

It’s direct with a Chromecast, otherwise wired.

Another article at Eurogamer that just talks about Stadia from its business model standpoint. This things seriously flawed even without talking about potential tech issues.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-11-18-google-stadias-bizarre-business-model-means-its-swimming-upstream-at-launch

Yes, they aren’t trying very hard yet. I think Google views this as another beta, but they’re charging full-price.

I won’t be bound by my NDA come midnight so happy to share my experience with Stadia so far if anyone has specific qs tomorrow.

It’s Tuesday, 12:46am GMT. Just sayin.

You’re under an NDA even though media reviews are dropping?