Stadia - Google's vision for the future of gaming

If they stumble at the start and public sentiment turns against them they might drop it. They’re not like Microsoft who will beat the same dead horse over and over again.

Which is a shame because I would like to experiment and see how Stadia eventually turns out.

That’s some serious gonna die lag he has got going there, all with the complexity of hitting the space bar a couple of casual times, not even a combo.

I guess thinking rationally Stadia would need to be a viable alternative solution to buying the next gen of consoles ( PS5 / whatever the next Xbox will be called) for it to have a real shot. I can imagine some of reassessment in 2022 to see if they want to keep investing in this thing or not.

Rationally, I’m not giving Stadia a penny unless they have an exclusive I really want to play or have really good sales.

I wonder why Stadia worked so well on mobile but so terribly on PC or chromecast ultra. I would expect them to be relatively the same.

The pricing sucks and IMO I can game cheaper on a mid level gaming pc over a 3 year stretch. Based on current pricing to play Shadow of Tomb Raider at 4k It will cost me $75 + $60 + $15 a month. Plus a controller, let’s say $50. So $200ish to get started with 1 full price game. For the year it would be another $165. That is a total of $365 to stream 1 game a full year, sans any bundle discounts. I seriously doubt they will ever have games discounted as frequently or as low as most PC games are sold now. So you will more than likely pay a premium with every new game. Add that to your misery. I mean who is paying $30, much less $60 for Assassins Creed when it is almost always on sale for $20 somewhere.

Edit: I forgot to add the extra bandwidth cost: I’ll need unlimited to stream in 4k which will be an additional $15 a month to my internet bill. This makes less and less sense.

That’s all it would take from you, an exclusive where the lag is so bad it can’t handle the complexity of jumping with a space bar, as in a casual press? I can’t imagine that being a satisfying experience even if it was exclusive. I suppose they could develop on it and then cheat, like not allow for precision controls and do what those adventure games used to do, I think, just press it close enough to the right time and capture that.

Lag isn’t that bad, aside from one or two sessions I’ve had it’s pretty much unnoticeable even if you use a regular controller. The system does a good job most of the time dynamically compressing the feed to keep lag stable, which creates its own set of annoyances but decent for what it is.

I am looking at the video the WA Post showed. It’s that bad.

Do you have overall impressions you could share? If you just wade through the sea of grumpy old men in this thread…

Sure - do you have any specific questions?

I didn’t have access to the Chromecast or the Stadia Controller but I did use the service + pro subscription on a bunch of devices. My overall my take is that the tech mostly works as advertised as long as you have a reasonably fast connection. I measured my bandwidth usage for 1080p streaming and it was usually around 10Mbps, FWIW.

Cool - what did you try? This was in NYC I expect - did you try anything you’d also played locally?

Yep - in NYC.

I’ve tried 3 games - Destiny 2, Samurai Showdown, and Gylt - from the launch lineup across a few devices (Pixelbook Laptop, Pixel 3 phone, and my home Desktop). Desktop is a wired internet connection while Laptop & Smartphone were wireless & LTE.

The only multiplayer game I tried so far is Destiny 2 and it seemed comparable to the regular PC experience, but admittedly I only logged 3-4 hours across the regular PC version vs Stadia so I’m sure more hardcore players would notice more issues than me.

I also have access to Metro Exodus but haven’t gone around to trying it yet.

Interesting. I don’t think the Stadia hardware supports RTX yet does it.

I’ll give it a go myself at some point, but not at the early adopter price point.

It won’t support RTX ever if they’re using AMD GPUs.

They have to change hardware at some point.

Of course not, it would have to be a good experience. Most people have had a much better time.

1. I already have an Xbox one controller so don’t need to buy the stadia controller.
  2. I don’t care about 4K so don’t need to pay the monthly service fee for pro
  3. Red Dead 2 would cost me $60 if I got it on Stadia or Steam right now so games cost for newer games is irrelevent. Agreed though that for playing older games it will probably be cheaper to get on the PC then Stadia.

My answers above are based on what I should be able to do once the free service rolls out, not what is available at launch.

Totally get your perspective. However, I am trying to replace the PC upgrade cycle (and this is supposed to allow to do that). I need performance at least on par or a bit closer than it currently provides with the free version. If this is to succeed they need to get people to NOT buy new PC’s. Any serious gamer with calculator will figure out it is not a cost effective alternative. Any non gamer won’t bother beyond causally trying it out. They are plying mobile games on their $1000 micro computers in their pockets already.

What are people going to hook up their keyboards and mice to then?