STALKER cosplay ... outside of the real frickin Chernobyl

The fuckin company publishing STALKER sent game journo’s to Chernobyl as a promotion. I talked with one of the doods who went.

In every other country around the world, Chernobyl would be a superfund site, restricted and locked off from all outsiders. In the Ukraine, they open a fucking ticket booth and charge admission.

If every country around the world had a nuclear disaster on the order of Chernobyl, I like to think that Ukrainian tourism practices would be the least of your concerns.

Well, you can either try to lock it airtight (which can’t be done) making it a 100% money sink or you can let tourists in so you make at least some money back.

Steel Pipe + Glue + Duct Tape -> Barrel Extension

They must be fans of turn based tactical games too. ;-)

I have some friends in Poland and Latvia who have Fallout meet ups+cosplay events where they all wear survival gear and camp out in the wilderness and play paintball in whatever run-down old Soviet-era factory they can find.

Not bad, huh?

She also rearranged some stuff, to take artistic pictures of out them. I don’t think you’re supposed to do that.

still, even fake, that website was interesting viewing and helped me get into stalker…

Way back when I posted something in the TV forum about a documentary on wildlife within the exclusion zone.

If you want to watch the creepiest, most awesome documentary about Chernobyl, I suggest you find the post and watch the documentary.

It makes the motorcycle chick look boring in comparison.

This one?

http://current.com/items/76788452_picnic_in_the_death_zone

Chernobyl scientists begin a bizarre hunt for radioactive animals deep in the contaminated Exclusion Zone around the destroyed reactor. However, they seem more concerned with eating their specimens than science.

Is that the one with the cat? I caught the tail end of it, it was pretty cool. I think it was on PBS here a couple of months ago.

That is the one. I loved the scenery which was completely otherworldly.

It was shown on the Discovery Channel here a few months back.

Deep in the radioactive bowels of the smashed Chernobyl reactor, a strange new lifeform is blooming. (via mefi)

But it’s also the abode of some very hardy fungi which researchers believe aren’t just tolerating the severe radiation, but actually harnessing its energy to thrive.

“Our findings suggest that [the fungi] can capture the energy from radiation and transform it into other forms of energy that can be used for growth,” said microbiologist Arturo Casadevall from the Albert Einstein College of Medicine at Yeshiva University in New York, USA.

This one exemplifies STALKER to me, except it’s too saturated and the weather is too nice.
http://images.webpark.ru/uploads52/080512/stalker_13.jpg

This is horrible! Mr. President, we must allow a cosplay gap! Can’t we dress up some people and have them pretend that Centralia is Mount Doom or something?

I don’t really see the connection to LARPing or cosplay, but damn if the photographer didn’t do a great job of taking the picture.

In case anyone’s interested, here is a link to the video that Brendan was talking about earlier in this thread:

Chernobyl: Life in the Dead Zone.

I found it to be quite fascinating in an eerie sort of way. Enjoy.

Saw that on TV.

Worth watching the beginning for the hilarious bears goofing off. (The segment from 5:25-5:30 on YouTube gets me every time.)

Worth watching until the end because it’s amazing that they wove stories about different animals that actually all came together in the end. Didn’t know you could do that kind of thing in a wildlife documentary!

About 2000 people live in the exclusion zone in Chernobyl.