Stalker, the movie

Has anyone else seen this? If not, I recommend it to those who are currently playing the game S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl. It definitely shows where much of the material for that game came from. I don’t want to spoil the movie, because it really is an outstanding piece of work, but don’t go in expecting S.T.A.L.K.E.R. on film. That’s not what it is.

Stalker, 1979, Directed by Andrei Tarkovsky, Russian w/English subtitles, 2 hrs. 43 mins. (still looks as good today as when it was made; don’t worry about the age)

You can buy it here.

Don’t forget to mention that it’s based on/inspired by Roadside Picnic by the Strugatsky brothers.

-Julian

I’ve been meaning to get some Tarkovsky films and since some are actually in the local library system, hopefully I’ll get my hands on some soon.

Yeah, I was going to mention it, but then I figured that anyone interested because they’re playing the computer game probably wouldn’t want to invest the time in reading the book–especially since the movie is considered a classic itself.

Where were you when all those kids ran to the video stores to rent Ron Howard’s Grand Theft Auto?

Is that a high quality version that isn’t dubbed?

The dubbed version has never been released on DVD. Don’t buy the U.S. release, it’s a terrible PAL-to-NTSC job (see the comparison here). Just import the Artificial Eye release from CD-Wow or Amazon UK. And don’t under any circumstances listen to the 5.1 remix.

The dubbed version has never been released on DVD. Don’t buy the U.S. DVD, it’s a terrible PAL-to-NTSC job (see the comparison here). Just import the Artificial Eye release from CD-Wow or Amazon UK. And don’t under any circumstances listen to the 5.1 remix.

Just watched it. Really is something amazing, a soul-piercing sort of work that I think will resonate with me for a long time. Haunting, personal, beautiful. Was the focal point of my dreams the night after.

First Tarkovsky I’ve seen, but I have Solaris, Mirror, and Ivan’s Childhood sitting here to be watched soon. I won’t hesitate.

So, on a 7-9 scale you’d give it a … ?

European edition split across two discs here, £17:
http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/98760/Stalker/Product.html

I’d give it an 8 personally. Great sound design and cinematography even if the main story arc is unsatisfying in a traditional film sense because of no “real” resolution.

Here’s a clip - basically the “on a rail” bit from Half Life minus the fighting and aliens with lots of closeups of the actors faces for some reason.

Keep in mind that since it’s a Tarkovsky flick, it’s glacially slow. There are no action scenes of any kind. It’s a great movie, but not for those that have short attention spans.

I’ve seen both Solyaris and Solaris (the one with Clooney), and even the shortened
remake was glacially slow. Not a bad movie, but don’t go there till you’ve had
your ADD medication.

I must have hit some amazing sale, as I picked it up from A.co.uk two months ago for about £6. But yes, it’s an absolutely amazing film, and though the version above (preferable to all other versions) is a PAL release, it’s not region coded, so you can watch it on any computer with a DVD drive.

For those interested in the DVD and game, the book Roadside Picnic was recently re-released in the UK for just under four pounds. It’s also very interesting, though somewhat different than both the DVD and game. Finally, an unofficial soundtrack to the movie by Robert Rich and B. Lustmord was released in the mid-90s. It very nicely encapsulates the film and makes wonderful background music while playing the game.

Four Stalker products, all made by different people, all simply amazing.

I love Youtube comments, if they ever want to isolate the virus for stupid that’ll be the first place they go:

Just watched this tonight – wow. I think I liked it, but my brain is too busy chewing on it to decide for certain; I definitely admire it, though. Amazingly beautiful movie visually. Tarkovsky makes Terence Malick look like Bret Ratner when it comes to pacing, oy.

I’ll be outside laying down in a puddle if anyone needs anything.

You know, I looked at all of the comparison shots and I couldn’t tell what the difference was meant to be. Seriously, there appeared to maybe be some sort of really subtle difference in color at the very most.

Geez, 34 bucks for the dvd import from Artificial Eye? It’s not even HD!

Does anyone even own the copyright to this film anymore, seeing as how it was produced during Soviet times?

My copy of this arrived on Monday and I got a chance to watch it last night.

What an amazing film. I love the almost hypnotic effect of the rhythm of the film and its soundtrack. I loved the scene where they are lying in the bog after the dog pitches up for the first time and the camera pans over the water.

I’m curious to know if anyone else got the feeling that the film’s message might have been one about religion and the need for the hope it brings to people even if it is completely irrational.