Standing desk and possible health issue

hahah, well… this was a few years ago. :)

My on-boarding for my current site, which was the same for virtual and on local employees consisted of a rather lengthy security section which had the following highlight points:

1. Most my co-workers are probably thieves
  2. The middle of a room in a meeting is a kill zone during an active shooting episode
  3. And I should never accept packages for my neighbors.

You can buy one that’s pressure rated for lifting weights on etc. They don’t burst when you sit your ass on them for 10 hours a day over a few years.

But good news for you is that sit, stand, curl yourself up in a pretzel, none of it will make a diff to ‘moving when you’re old’. This is just the inanity those without meaningful health issues engage in.

If you have fitness goals they can be pursued. Certainly sounds like you could benefit from balance and core strength. But this generally does require getting off your derrière, and is simply a lifestyle choice. Feeling better with a clear mind and body. The idea that exercise can stave off disease or aging is one particular to our times. It’s just the age old veneration of athleticism in a new format.

Question for you folks who’ve mentioned a treadmill at your desk: isn’t that impossibly bulky? What brands/models are you using?

I have no knowledge about which ones are good, but they don’t have the side rails and big panel at the front. Here’s an example

Also, it MUST be a walking treadmill and not a standard treadmill. Most treadmills are geared for a basic run/job which is much faster than you will be using it for at your desk. I averaged between 1-2MPH on my treadmill and it needed to be geared for such a slow speed for long hours.

It looks like one still needs to basically give up having a chair though, because you can’t be moving something like that out of the way all the time. I think I’d prefer a sit/stand desk with one of the lower-tech alternatives for when I’m standing.

You could still sit in a chair, but it’d have to be a wheelchair otherwise you’ll fall off.

You can use a chair that can fit on the treadmill. I had a stool with a rounded base that I would put on the treadmill if I wanted to sit for a bit. I also was looking at building a platform that could go over the treadmill that I could put down if I wanted to sit for awhile and put the chair on that. Since the desk was easily elevated and lowered, it could support a chair on a raised platform.

However, when we moved I kept the desk but sold the treadmill since it was a bastard to move and would have been a hard fit in our current apartment.

I’m surprised there is some sort of ergo, exercise field that can just go into home offices and make all our set-ups a little more human body friendly. I don’t just mean ergo, but treadmills and all.

Does anybody have opinions on a full adjustable/standing desk vs. one of these? I don’t work from home, so I’ll use it only in evenings, etc. I don’t really want to shell out $700 (or whatever) for a full desk if I can effectively get the same out of this type of device. In particular, how well do they function when you’re seated?

https://www.amazon.com/VIVO-Adjustable-Workstation-Converter-DESK-V000W/dp/B01N10G1N9/ref=pd_lutyp_simh_2_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01N10G1N9&pd_rd_r=8GNEMGESPR9VBJW4JA9Y&pd_rd_w=hGJpN&pd_rd_wg=OF81p&psc=1&refRID=8GNEMGESPR9VBJW4JA9Y

I can’t help, but those metal borders on the keyboard stage look like they could limit your mouse mobility in an awkward way.

I have this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074ZN21KM

I’ll start by saying that I did get this as a review item, but I have been using it for about month now.

There was virtually no set-up, like ready within a few minutes. It’s heavy as hell. I would not want to be hauling this thing up and down all the time so I just leave it on the desk at the moment. I use it for my work set-up, not my personal, and when I use my desk for personal time it does feel cluttered because it’s there.

As far as where the keyboard tray sits, it doesn’t have the cage issue with the one your saying, it’s not the best for sitting. It’s a little high, but then again I am not really that tall. On the other hand, my keyboard tray for the desk is probably a little low. I wish I had a chair that had a bigger vertical range. Having said that, so far I shifted from sitting and standing positions throughout the day with ease.

My wife says some people at work have the type you link above and some have a desk like mine (Jarvis motorized desk). With the ones like you link, there is less usable space because the area that rises isn’t usually the size of a full desk, so you end up with a little space that moves up and down, and some space around the edges of your desk the thing sits on.

Also, she says it isn’t as stable as the full adjustable desk and that her coworkers wished they had went full the fully adjustable desk. You are going to probably pay at least $350-450 more for a fully adjustable desk, so you need to balance out what works for you.

What kind of stability issue? I can put two monitors on this thing and it’s not going anywhere. What do theirs weigh?

She just says it wobbles a little bit. Not that is isn’t structurally strong enough.

That’s a good point. I usually use a bluetooth trackpad (when not gaming), so it would only matter when I was standing and gaming, most likely.

@Nesrie That looks like a nice alternative to the one that I linked. I guess the heft helps with stability.

My wife has a Jarvis desk, too, and she loves it. Hmm… I’ll have to play around with my budget to see what I think will work best. The potential tradeoff here is having extra money to put towards building a gaming rig. :)

I have one of these at work:

https://www.amazon.com/Ergotron-WorkFit-TL-Sit-Stand-Converter-Tabletops/dp/B015H5MDIO

It is considerably more expensive that what you’re looking at, but it is 100% stable and easy to use with three monitors. The mouse space isn’t a problem for me, but I can see how it might be for others. I have a Microsoft ergonomic keyboard with keypad and still find that I have ample room for business-use-mousing.

edit: And I do sit down significantly more than I stand. I have had no problems there, either, but I have never been a keyboard-tray-under-the-desk guy, so there wasn’t really any adjustment – keyboard height is about 3/4 inch higher than without this.

I use a standing desk from Autonomous. They start at $300. I’ve had mine for almost a year and it’s still working great, though I worry the single motor will someday burn out. I mean, at $300 they had to cut corners somewhere, right?

Desk may be great, but dear lord the website is obnoxious. And while the ai in the fancy desk might may amazing, it apparently can’t tell people their posture is atrocious.