Standing desk and possible health issue

Thanks @robc04 for taking time to post about this. I read extensively about the risks of being sedentary for extended periods in order to mitigate those risks. The summary of what I know from the research is -

1. Sitting for extended periods is terrible and a risk factor for metabolic syndrome (high blood pressure, bad cholesterol, insulin resistance leading to diabetes & coronary heart disease)

2. Standing for extended periods is not much better. It reduces some risks and introduces new ones.

3. Movement is the key to risk mitigation if you are a desk worker. Movement meaning any kind of activity rather than exercise

4. Exercise is vital (along with nutrition, sleep, recovery, sun exposure, social support etc) but insufficient to mitigate the risks of extended periods of inactivity

My personal setup and practice is based on best practices and designed to mitigate the risk from the 10 hours I spend at work each day. I share it together with a recommendation to adopt it if you can.

1. I have a height adjustable desk and alternate between sitting and standing throughout the day with a roughly 50/50 split.

2. Whilst standing I use an anti-fatigue mat. These things significantly reduce discomfort

3. I use a wireless headset and whilst on virtual calls with colleagues walk around nearby my station

4. During face to face meetings I will stand rather than sit and move around as much as possible, even if that just means taking steps side to side or tensing muscles

5. Unless prevented by a meeting I take a 2 minute break every 30 minutes & every hour I do some kind of activity. Typically I do something like 40 squats and one of the Foundation Training exercises designed to help maintain flexibility in the legs and back

6. I never lunch at my desk. I always take a real break away from the desk. This is something I started after 10+ years of always eating lunch at my desk

One clear benefit of being able to stand is that it is a heck of a lot easier to move around. If I am standing and take a call I can pace around within a moment. If I’m seated I need to get up first, and that tiny extra effort is enough to make it less likely.

If you are on a budget and want to be able to switch between sitting and standing at a fixed seated station there are multiple desk converters on the market now.

At home, I would love to get something like a lectern than allowed me to stand and use a mouse & keyboard comfortably for gaming or writing posts like this. I’m still looking for something I could easily move around within my living room environment.

Thanks for posting all that information Lykurgos. After realizing I’ve got the problem I’ve been much better at making sure i move periodically and doing things like tightening my calf muscles while I sit / stand. I’ve got a Jarvis adjustable desk so I also try and split my time between sitting and standing. I had really liked standing all the time so now I miss it!

This is the problem I’ve had with any of these.

When you type and stuff, it just wobbles a tiny bit, which is annoying. Does that one do that? HON usually makes good stuff.

I just got this standing desk at work.

Super cheap (especially if you use one of the many bed bath and beyond coupons). has a motor and some USB jacks. Sturdy

I actually bought the VIVO a few weeks ago. It’s fine, I was a bit worried because it was half the price of some competitors.

The only issue is the keyboard tray is not adjustible so it kinda tilts a bit towards me. I was eating lunch on it and it slipped on my lap. The mouse part is also some grippy plastic which I don’t love. I may try putting wax or something on it or try extra teflon on the mouse.

There are adjustable standing desks that are sturdy, but they also tend to be super expensive, I bought one of these Herman Miller Renew tables when I was working from home and It’s great, but doesn’t get the all-day use that it did before I was forceably retired.

Diego

http://store.hermanmiller.com/office/desks/renew-sit-to-stand-desk/7090.html?lang=en_US

Just a little. Not enough to bother me. Part of it may be the monitor arm.