Stanley's Color Out of Space is more Lovecraft than Lovecraft's Color Out of Space

All of the above?

The craziest crazy is Nathan right before the end repeating Lavinia’s line from early in the film, “Are you looking at my legs?”

I’ve seen it at least a half dozen times, including three times in the theater.

Nicholas Cage’s voice is definitely supposed to be the voice of his father. It’s used at very specific moments and always in reference to the pressure he felt from his father. As for the Trump angle, I don’t think it’s intentional (although I would love to see a biopic with crazy unhinged Nic Cage playing Trump), since it’s the same weird voice affectation Cage has been doing since, gosh, forever? Here’s him doing the same voice in Vampire’s Kiss over 30 years ago:

Ah, good catch! I’d say that’s an element also present in Stanley’s first movie, Hardware.

Nice!

It’s as if the Color has assimilated everyone and can’t quite keep them straight anymore. There’s a whole family in there now!

-Tom

I felt like he was tapping into the Peggy Sue Got Married voice at that point.

I like to say that he went into character for Vampire’s Kiss and just never came out again.

Fun fact: according to a Richard Stanley inteview, that’s Nicholas Cage doing the voice of his actual dad, and the bit about intellectual abuse was a thing Cage brought to the movie.

Just saw this last night ($3 HD rental on Amazon). Really liked it as a Lovecraftian decent intro madness. Didn’t think Cage had much to do in the movie, it may even have been better with a different actor, more due to the character in the script than him, but I hope the band recognition helped. As to the father voice, that’s interesting, but it also has a bit too much of Cage as Cage in it. I caught it at least once or twice, but it didn’t have the same effect at I think it would have from a different actor doing it. Arthur was fantastic.

There is no way Lavinia summoned the color from the Necronomicon.

Dammit!

Did anyone else think Ward looked like the picture of Nathan’s father? They show the picture a few times when he was sitting in the recliner having a drink. Since the movie deals with the bending of time I kept waiting for it to come around to Ward and the grandfather being the same person. He did end up with the compass…

Also, at the end of the same scene they focus on a rock (or sculpture) that to me resembled the Theresa/Jack creature when it attacks Lavinia. Did anyone else see the same thing?

And is there something specific that all the triangles, I’m curious what they might represent? Maybe Wiccan symbolism, but it seemed like something more. They were everywhere!

Welcome to Qt3, meowvie.

Thanks 😊

I haven’t seen it because I’m a big weenie but those are interesting observations.