Star Control 2 port available

saw this on Penny Arcade, and I’ve been waiting for it for some time.

Apparently the .1 alpha of “The Ur-Quan Masters,” the open-source GNU license port of Star Control 2 spearheaded by Toys for Bob themselves, was released on Nov. 26.

You can grab it from Sourceforge here:
SC2 Sourceforge page

It’s already fairly solid, but there are a few obvious bugs and the input key choices could be better. The change log for version .2 already looks incredibly promising, you can check that out here.

For those that played it on the PC, you should know that this version is based on the 3DO version. It’s the same, only contains full voice-over for all conversations (which is quite good), and the ship combat doesn’t switch between three zoom levels but rather smoothly scales, which is a great feature.

I heard it was slashdotted recently, and with that and the Penny Arcade mention today hopefully they’ll get a lot more people working on this. I fired it up and got hooked all over again, and even though I intended just to play for a few minutes until later versions come out, I put about two hours into it. After the port is clean, it has some fantastic potential: high res graphics and better controls, maybe even internet multiplayer, and you’ve got a game that belongs on store shelves. With enough support, the open-source nature of this project could see all that stuff happen.

A few months ago I pulled out my old 3DO and played SCII for a couple of weeks. Yup, still a pretty fun game. It’ll be nice to have it this version on the PC as well.

I bought a 3DO specifically for this game, I loved the PC version so much.

We even wrote a hex-based “4x” style space conquest board game that used SC2 melee as the combat resolution mechanic. :-) Maybe time to dust off those hand-made Kohr-Ah counters…

Okay, for that, you win the “Geek Confession of the Month” award. :)

We even wrote a hex-based “4x” style space conquest board game that used SC2 melee as the combat resolution mechanic. Maybe time to dust off those hand-made Kohr-Ah counters…

Sounds like you guys were trying to relive some of that strategic star control magic that the rpg sequel left out. Archon with a rotating 3d map. brilliant!

What is SC2 exactly?

I’ve heard of it but never played it, and the 145 Mb download is not something I want to try on my modem.

Star Control 2. The original Star Control was essentially a beat-em-up with spaceships. The followup was a grand role-playing adventure, with not a little Starflight influence, and the port from DOS to the 3DO had an even grander, more epic air about it.

Just as an aside. there’s also a Star Control 3, created for Accolade by Legend Entertainment (whose recent credits include Wheel of Time and Unreal II). Development on Star Control 4 was started, then killed. (It was to be reevaluated as a more action-oriented game, as I recall, but it was never picked up again.

Peter

I walked into a used game trading store today to pick up a couple of N64 games (just recently bought the console as an alternative to $50 current generation games), and was shocked to find a Panasonic 3D0 system on sale along with what looked to be a near-complete selection of 3D0 games complete with boxes. NO STAR CONTROL 2, THOUGH! Or I might have just gone for it.

They also had a ton of Sega CD, Sega 32X, Sega Saturn crap too, along with the systems. Nostalgia… ahhhhh.

How much were they asking for that 3DO? I’m curious…

–Dave

Sorry, Dave… I didn’t check. I knew I was spending too much on the N64 stuff I bought, and tried not to get into something else…

Here’s the N64 stuff I ended up buying, by the way…

• Ogre Battle 64
  • Conker’s Bad Fur Day
  • Paper Mario
  • Body Harvest
  • Blast Corps
  • Forsaken 64
  • Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  • Hybrid Heaven
  • Turok
  • Jet Force Gemini
  • Starfox 64
  • Castlevania
  • Expansion Pak
  • Rumble Pak

Okay, I bought the universally reviled “War Godz” for $5 too, just because I remember laughing my ass off playing this against my best friend several years ago. Total: $200, or the same I’d pay for 4 new console games. I’m happy…

Since you’re the go-to guy for N-lore, has there been any talk of a Gamecube sequel to Conker’s?

Rare kept Conker when they were bought by MS. Expect an Xbox sequel, if any. MS has to get their 3/4s of a billion worth, after all.