Star Ruler 2

Well, what is it?
A 4X/RTS and the sequel/reinvention of our first game.

Media (Click to enlarge images)
Official Trailer

Combat

Race Selection

Research

Interviews, etc.
SpaceGameJunkie Podcast (Aug. 8, 2013)
eXplorminate Strategic eXpanse Podcast (Mar. 22, 2015)

So what do you do in Star Ruler 2?
Survive. It’s not as easy as it sounds. The galaxy may be alive with possibilities – but it’s also alive with danger. Backstabbing politicians who can change the balance of power and the rule of law in the galaxy; reclusive and powerful scientists whose inventions grant them powerful advantages and mutations biological, economic, and militaristic; divine and godly rulers who can with the snap of their fingers use vast stores of power to annihilate worlds and fleets or turn off defense networks. These will be the sorts of opponents you will face in your quest to ultimately rule the stars for the glory of your species and the guarantee of survival. If you do survive, and if you do wrest control over the galaxy, then it shall be yours to command – stars will turn to ashes by your demand; planets may be destroyed and re-built to better fit your ways of life; you may even-handedly decide ultimately whether there can be peace or one final war. The galaxy is yours for the taking – if you can handle it.

Star Ruler 2?! Alright, so what’s the difference between SR1 and SR2?
A lot! It won’t just be a better looking/running/playing game, it’ll be a better game. Diplomacy will have teeth; planet micromanagement will be painless and interesting; the base gameplay itself has been greatly improved and expanded in almost every direction. Oh, and we finally have a functional, working, smooth-as-butter movement system for our newtonian motion amidst a host of new features such as physically-simulated projectiles (e.g. torpedos that track targets, chase to intercept, and detonate when they strike an object – whether the one you intended or not) and “Powers” which allow you to bend the galaxy to your will with terrific force at the cost of vast stores of energy. It’s everything Star Ruler was but more refined, better looking, expanded upon in all directions, deeper in strategy, and easier to control and read in every way.

But will I still be able to build ships the size of the galaxy/create worlds?
If you can afford to, you can do whatever you want in SR2.

What about the ship design? What’d you guys do to that?
An improvement on the former design. All the ease of SR1’s ship building system with a much richer depth and in a much easier to read and manage format; we’ll be posting dev diaries which go over specific mechanics/portions of the gameplay such as ship design on our website if you’d like to read all about what we changed, what we added, what we removed, and why we did each of those things.

You’re selling this for how much?
$20 during Early Access and $25 at release.

When are you releasing?
March 27th, 2015.

System Requirements
To be announced/determined.

Will SR2 give in to DRM where SR1 didn’t?
Our company belief still holds that DRM is: too intrusive, too easily defeated, too hardware/software-error prone, and too much of a time-and-effort investment to be worth it; especially when that time and effort could be spent on adding value to the game. SR1 did nothing to change our minds on the subject.

So are you going to stick around like last time or have you moved on from the ‘indie developer’/‘just another one of the guys’ phase?
As with before, feel free to ask me about the game or suggest/criticize. If I’m allowed to answer your question, I will do so as quickly as I can; if I can’t or don’t know the answer, I’ll ask my boss and co-worker to lend an ear/hand/claw. Please bear in mind it may take me a little longer to respond than it did last time around – we’ve all got our hands elbow-deep in SR2’s guts at the moment though we’re very excited to talk about it and hear your reactions/thoughts on it.

Can I get an actual feature list?
Certainly. There’s a full list of features available on our newly minted website: starruler2.com

Sounds good. Had some decent mp games with this actually. Always fun to build a bigger ship…and then a bigger ship again.

Will ships be able to have custom appearances when designed in the ship builder (rather than being assigned from a limited set as with the first game)? If so, then the above quote combined with that is enough to get me to shove a large sum of money in your general direction.

Niiiiiiice!!!

Will ships be able to have custom appearances when designed in the ship builder (rather than being assigned from a limited set as with the first game)?

That’s something we’d love to have but we haven’t made a final decision on it. It would cost us money and performance to do procedurally generated models, which is the ideal we’d love to strive for, but we may wind up having ‘one model per hull’. We do intend to have a larger base of assets than we did in SR1 but all that’s up in the air right now – if we do, and we don’t have generated models, we may allow select-a-model as there may be ‘variants’ on a hull design or etc. We haven’t even finalized our order for the models yet so it’s a ‘To be determined’ until further notice.

Cool, even just having the ability to choose from a short list would do a lot for personalization, which was one thing I somewhat wanted in SR1 that it never had. Just tell me when I can start giving you money again.

That’s awesome, Firgof, I stopped by your webpage a few months ago wondering what was going on in Star Ruler Land. Glad to see there’s work on a sequel!

We just couldn’t leave it alone it seems. Not without giving it our best shot.

While I have to say the first game didn’t click with me, I’ve been pulling for you and hoping to see something that did. It’s looking good so far.

This is the first I have heard of this series, is the first one any good?

Is it still real-time, and will I be able to build a ringworld?

Glad to hear you guys are giving it another go Firgof! I’m also in the camp that was impressed by Star Ruler, but it never quite drew me in. Some shinier, new mechanics would I think go a long way in fixing that.

Is it still real-time

Yes. As titled, it is a RTS/4X.

will I be able to build a ringworld

I’ll ask.

Some shinier, new mechanics would I think go a long way in fixing that.

There are lots of shiny, new, mechanics. It’s not just a layer of paint that separates SR2 from SR1.

This is the first I have heard of this series

That’s partially my fault. We just didn’t have a whole lot of marketing for SR1 and what marketing we did have was a little meager and always out of date.

Hey guys, we did an interview with some of the folks behind SR2 on our podcast last night, so I hope it’s okay to share here. :)

Enjoy!

Whew! It’s been a while, hasn’t it? Sorry to keep you all waiting but it’s finally arrived!

Dev Diary: Diplomacy

In today’s dev diary we’ll be looking in to the subtle and treacherous battlefield of Diplomacy. Though engaging in Diplomacy is mostly optional a Ruler who chooses to specialize in it can gain unique power over their enemies. This power can be used as both sword and shield; providing a skillful Ruler the means to defend and expand their Empire without bloodshed and turn their enemies’ strength against them.

Provoke the competent Diplomatic Ruler and in his spite you may find the Galaxy turned against you.

[ Click to read more about Star Ruler 2’s Diplomacy System on Starruler2.com ]

Read it all and it sounds very interesting. “I’m under constant assault. Please don’t turn your back on us” - really hits home in a personal way, as opposed to the generic “We’re at war, honor our pact.”

So this drops onto Steam Early Access tomorrow - has anyone gotten a real look at it yet?

I’ve played it for all of ten minutes – thanks firgof!! – and had a good time.

Does it bring anything new to the table? I never got into the first game, but reading about them both I’m wondering how necessary they are when I already have Distant Worlds:Universe.

If the NDA’s all done for, I can explain.