Star Ruler 2

+1(2345)

Playing the plain vanilla. Seems that there is a lot of complexity in the subsystems.

Just managing the economy with the energy, research, ftl. Teching up. Special resources. The huge number of buildings.
The comples ship builder.
The Large research trees.
The weapons systems.
The various racial specials which makes for very different game play styles.

I think I’ll hold off the mods and the DLC until I get the vanilla figured out. Extremely complex. But in a FUN way!

Ok, sold.

But now for the hard part of actually fitting it into the gaming schedule… How long does a playthrough on a small map take? 5, 20 or 50 hours?

I’ve bought it too in the recent Steam Sale. Bought it, installed it, completed the tutorial!

Now I’m ready for a well earned break of several weeks or months before I actually play this behometh thing :-)

A small map would be on the 5 hour side of the scale. It would likely be faster than that and there’s also a variable speed setting like Paradox games have.

Ok, I picked this up based on the word of mouth here and the sale.

Its much more graphically challenged than I was expecting and I have had to restart the tutorial twice now as im doing something wrong and it just keeps telling me to do stuff I have already done.

Any suggestions on where to start…

The number of systems that interact are so great that it may overwhealm. The written guides are also very thin on content. And videos are too long to be good teaching tools.

What I did was:

1. Start with Mono (they dont require food and water and so remove a level of complexity from the game), the “disadvantages” are not apparent at beginners levels.

2. Starting with Mono also teaches about labour and population which you have to build. They are not automatically grown, mean you can learn more as you do.

3. Start in a spiral galaxy with the defaults and set the 2 races to easy, and check the “passive” box in the AI selection.

Then experiment to your heart’s content while learning the systems as Mono.

After a few hours you’ll be able to appreciate the forum discussions sharing tips.

Thanks ciicobuff!

Glad to help a fellow beginner. In whatever small way =)

I played this for the last couple of evenings. The lack of proper documentation is becoming increasingly annoying. I know that honest-to-goodness manuals are passé, but a civilopedia to at least explain basic game concepts would have been nice.

If I’m not mistaken, the wiki is available in-game and serves the same purpose. You can read about concepts such as pressure there.

http://wiki.starruler2.com/Main_Page

I find the devolve into using videos as teaching tools to be extremely frustrating. To learn stuff I have to watch an entire video lasting 15-30 minutes long. Videoes are extrememly bad as teaching tools because you cannot search by keywords like you can on a written guide.

Dont people write anymore? The wiki is extremely bare on information.

Things like planets selection and menus being contextual based on what you selected is not properly explained.

E.g. To colonize a planet, you can Left Click on a planet with high population and the Right Click a target planet and select “Transfer Population”.

This is crucial information but you either have to figure it out yourself or read discussions thread in forums.

Quite annoying.

But the game have a lot of depth. Actually thinking about writing a play through on this. Quite an amazing game.

I do not want to sidetrack the other thread by cicobuff so I will use this one.

I would like to give the developer of Star Ruler and Bundlestars a hearty fuck you. Your collective cock-up has now resulted in me not only not getting keys for games I purchased but losing keys I already owned. It is a bloody mess.

For those who do not know, the wanker who developed Star Ruler got into a spat with Bundlestars over Star Ruler 2 being involved in a bundle. Instead of dealing with Bundlestars, he decided that the best course of action was to pull the 100% legitimately (we are not talking about gray market keys here) purchased keys from those who purchased from Bundlestars. This was an incredible dick move on his part.

Now the rest of this fiasco belongs to Bundlestars. I submitted a customer service request to get a key. After giving them a week (and a full week is bloody long enough) to respond with no feedback, I canceled the charge on my credit card. So I just got home from a business trip to find that Bundlestars did not react well to the canceled charge and now has terminated my account which still had quite a few keys, including almost every key from the Grand Master bundle. So now I have to submit another ticket to BS to find out why they thought it was appropriate to cancel my account and to try tog get back what I already paid for.

Lovely. Assholes.

Looks like he discusses the situation here.

He was notified of that upthread, KevinC. He still prefers to call the Star Ruler 2 dev a “wanker”. No point arguing with him.

Your statement is a wonderful example of the type of person you are. Thank you for sharing.

Your posts are like free DLC packs for those of us who enjoy schadenfreude. Makes me want to boot the game up to enjoy what you’re missing.

Granath, I understand the anger over having paid for something and not receiving it. I also can get thoroughly pissed at poor customer service, which I think you’re getting here.

It looks like you got caught up in a dispute between the dev and an organization bundling keys. It sucks, but from the limited information available I can’t really see why the dev is a wanker. You’re in a fury over originally losing a few bucks on a Star Ruler key, how do you think he felt when the product he’d been working on for years was being sold in a manner contrary to his wishes/consent?

It sucks you didn’t get a reply from the merchant you purchased this from, but it seems like that’s who you should be going after. Especially since it’s they who locked your account after you took the nuclear option (which I understand why you did, it’s wrong to pay for something you didn’t receive).

Oh, I don’t follow the bargain thread so didn’t realize this is a feud that had been going on for a couple weeks and all this has been covered ad nauseum. Didn’t mean to kick things up again. :)

KC thank you for the reasonable reply. I am going after Bundlestars but absolutely the fault here also lies with this developer. If you purchased a Sony TV from Best Buy and found out a week later that because Best Buy and Sony got into a business dispute Sony decided to remotely disable your TV would you hold Sony harmless? You would not. You would be justifiably angry with both parties. Even if you thought Best Buy was at fault you will still be upset at being dragged into the middle of a business dispute you had nothing to do with. The developer of Star Ruler did nothing less than sacrifice the customer to escalate this dispute in order to receive a more expedient resolution. Now due to that action I have been even more adversely impacted.

While I do not expect plonkers like Kerzain to have any sympathy since they derive pleasure from the misfortune of others, I do hope that this developer sees this thread so he knows what kind of impact his rash actions had on others.