Star Trek Beyond

I know we had a thread following this already, but figured we could start a proper thread with the release of the trailer:

Star Trek Beyond apparently has very little in the way of stars or trekking. Discuss.

edit: Darn, I keep meaning to put the year in the thread title since that seems like the cool Alan Dunkiny thing to do. Sorry!

I like the official announcement text in the link.

“The first trailer for Star Trek Beyond has crash-landed.”

Seems appropriate.

Er…what the hell was that?

Yeah, but it’s literally got a cliffhanger. Woo hoo!

Looks exciting. I’m not familiar with Justin Lin’s other movies though. I need to catch up and watch a few.

If you can swing it, watch Better Luck Tomorrow, then go straight to Fast & Furious 5 or 6. You’ll see that Lin can actually handle quiet moments and gonzo action.

On the trailer front, hey, it’s got rad dirtbike motocross action. That’s got to count for something.

I like Lin’s Fast and Furious movies, and with Simon Pegg writing this might be great. Or it might be a lot of fun, but not very Star Trekky. Or it might still be terrible all around for some reason, who knows? The trailer doesn’t do much for me other than confirming all the main cast is still present.

Another destroyed Enterprise?

I really just want a Star Trek movie where a bunch of Federation and Klingon ships blow each other up.

But at least this one gives me hope that Kirk will be able to hook up with that hawt alien sword lady.

Well, at least they didn’t self-destruct. You know. Like that other Star Trek III.

I’m in for this one, I did enjoy the other ones. Into Darkness a little less so, but what are you gonna do. The whole Beastie Boys thing is wearing a little thin though.

Kirk, walking into the commissioner’s office.

“You are a loose cannon!” “Do you know how much damage you caused downtown? I have 2 alderman up my ass about repairs!” “I need your badge and gun, for real this time”.

I kind of enjoyed the Spock/McCoy scene, but that was about it.

And now it’s gonna be an afternoon with Sabotage stuck in my head. Could be worse, I suppose.

That’s because Karl Urban is the best thing about the new movies, bar none.

I completely agree with that. It is a pleasure every time he is on the screen.

What’s the point of even calling this Star Trek? I’m far from a hardcore Trekkie, Trekker or whatever is the current proper term to use but could they at least keep the slightest hint of what the series started as?

Perhaps treknophile, trekksexual, or trek-kin (pronouns: trek, trek/trem/treks/trekself).

I’m pretty sure it started as a TV show. It has no place on the silver screen, you’re right.

If you said this two movies ago, you’d’ve been on top of current events, but now, by now, your gripes should already be cast in stone, on the grave of your past love of Trek, and have moved on to better things.

I was hoping for a real TREK space battle in this, sadly we get StarTrek:The Birds Edition. :(