Star Trek Beyond

Thanks for the thoughts @Editer. You’ve got me optimistic. Will go see it this week.

You’re welcome! ;)

Awesome insights man! Can’t wait to see this on Sunday!

Thanks for the review. That was helpful. I am looking forward to this.

Undiscovered Country was smoe[quote=“Telefrog, post:193, topic:77851, full:true”]

Does that include the previous movies like Undiscovered Country, Nemesis, and First Contact? First Contact was literally an effort to make Trek more like an action movie and appeal to non-Trek audiences. All three of these movies have some arguably lunk-headed set pieces.
[/quote]

Wow they flew over your head big time dude. Undiscovered Country was some of Star Treks best story telling. A great allegory to the fall of the Soviet Union Communism at the time it was released. The current movies are just another dumb action flick.

Thanks, man. You’re kinda late with that. See above.

I read DennyA’s post, and I texted my wife to see if we could go see a movie in the theater Sunday morning called Star Trek Beyond (We see about 5 movies a year in the theater). And she said yes! Woohoo! Now I just hope it doesn’t bore her. She’s not familiar with Star Trek. Earlier this year, I did this to her with Civil War. And as her second Marvel movie, she was just confused during most of the movie (she’d previously seen Avengers with me, and enjoyed it).

So hopefully Beyond will be a good introduction of Star Trek characters and universe for her.

I would think the first movie of this movie verse would be better for that. I will see this tomorrow myself, but I’m not expecting introductions for everyone but the new characters.

I was told by non-trekkies that the first movie and this one is very good though.

Yeah, tbh, I can’t see the third film in the already-rebooted film series being the best “jumping in” point for someone w/ no experience w/ Trek at all.

I realize you might be risking the chance to go see Beyond on Sunday if she doesn’t like it, but I’d recommend watching at least the first movie via RedBox or something tonight, just to get her in the zone, plot-wise and character-wise. May well help stave off a loss of future movie-dates via the reasoning of “Stupid Mr. Rock8man only ever wants to watch confusing sequels in theaters and he keeps dragging me along!”

I mean, I could be wrong. I haven’t seen Beyond myself yet (and may not for quite some time, sadly). Just seems like the safer play to me!

Good points.

2 problems with the suggestion:

1. Star Trek is not currently available at Red Box, or any streaming services.
  2. My wife has been taught some kind of puritan work ethic where she feels guilty watching movies or engaging in any leisure activity that’s not work. She can stand this about once a week. But more than that she gets kind of panic-stricken that she’s getting lazy and not a good person.

So selfishly speaking, I want that one movie she watches this week to be Star Trek Beyond. I think Marvel’s Civil War was sort of a rare breed of movie that actually requires extensive knowledge of past media. I think most movies do a good job of introducing characters and getting new audiences caught up enough to have a good time.

If I do decide we should watch Star Trek first instead of going to see Beyond in theaters, there are some options. I could rent the movie through Amazon or Xbox or Vudo or other services. It’s about the same price as going to see Beyond in the theater though. ($4 vs $5). I just am hoping that it’s not necessary. I really believe Civil War was an aberration. Most movies just aren’t like that.

You just described my whole family. I thought we were the only ones with that disease. You should see my Dad, he will sit down to watch a movie, and then halfway in go “Welp, that’s enough of that!” and go put on a new roof spontaneously.

I think the first one would probably be necessary, but that’s the way I watch movies. I know people who jumped into various Marvel movies without seeing any of the ones who enjoyed it without watching any of the ones before it.

I always have some kind of chore that’s quiet to do inside, maybe you can just conveniently turn it on in a central location while she goes through bills, laundry, checks the chemicals of the pool, etc.

Rock8man, does your wife know who Kirk, Spock and the rest are? I tend to think of that as stuff that’s just in the air, like knowing who Sherlock Holmes or Batman are. If not though, might be worth going back even farther than the 09 movie.

Except Final Frontier. Well actually, that covers a good part of Spock’s relationship in rejoining the crew so I’d say catch that one too.

Nah. Just show her “Amok Time” and then take her to this movie.

-xtien

Honestly, I advise NOT showing her the first movie. It’s a terrible introduction to the series. Wait, time travel? The universe rebooted? Why are there two Doctor Spocks and one of them is really old? Time travel paradoxes are annoying enough when you already know the universe.

You could show her Wrath of Khan or an episode of the original series and explain it’s new actors and she’d be fine. Or just tell her they’re three years into a five-year exploration, Captain Kirk loves his crew, he and Spock work well together, and Spock and McCoy claim not to. That’s really all the prep that’s necessary. :)

And there’s certainly plenty you could nitpick about with this (and any) movie, but “boring” is not a concern with this installment. There’s a good balance of Simon Pegg script and Justin Linn action.

So that’s another vote for Christien’s plan then.

A couple hours home from the theater, and yeah, it just felt like tokenism/peacocking.

Very solid, better than Into Darkness, blessedly lacking the traditional Abrams “see what I did there” moments.

Had to try hard to ignore a bunch of plot holes and didn’t think the big reveal on the bad guy was a particularly satisfying payoff on the theme I tought was being explored. Knowing that Pegg wrote the script, I’m not surprised that the cake was half-frosting. But since Pegg’s frosting is losts of neat character moments, I’ll take it.

I think Sulu coming out was the only character development in this film. Unfortunately it did not really have much to do with the tale and Sulu was sidelined. The Kirk/Spock mid life crisis did not have a great deal of meaning and could have been left out of the film - save the acknowledgement of the original Spock. To me the film was simply an action adventure, with lots of explosions and stuff. Which is alright I suppose, I always hope for something different in the Trek Universe. It is a space opera after all.

Wonder what they plan to do with Checkoff…I got the impression they recently reshot that Kirk/Bones scene to include the alcohol in the locker line to acknowledge him as well.

I came back from the theater, and enjoyed the movie. They certainly gave Bones more to do which I loved. The Sulu than 10 seconds of screen time, was done casually like it was a normal thing, and I think the group upset by that choice was just going to be upset no matter. You could have blinked and missed it. Hell if you missed the first handful of seconds scene you’d have no idea why they showed them again later. Either way, They need to spend more time giving Uhura more to do, and Sulu needs more too. Thew new girl was kind of awesome.