Star Trek Beyond

Okay. Well it’s weird to me that at least five people I know of, four of which saw the movie in different locations, had that same experience.

I’m not sure what to make of that.

-xtien

Rock8man obviously has infravision.

Had to take your kid? Seems like you misspelled “got”.

Okay, I admit it wasn’t that great of a theory. I was just throwing it out there. But what really bothered me about those dark scenes is that I was worried the whole movie was going to be that way.

Hey, here’s another theory: maybe Justin Lin made the scenes that way to further dissuade people from seeing movies in dopey 3D! I like to imagine droves of frustrated people who paid the 3D surtax angrily taking their glasses off to try to see what the heck is going on.

-Tom

Saw this today with my wife and we had a good time. I found it much more enjoyable than The Force Awakens, but I’ve never been a hardcore Star Wars fan.

We saw the movie in IMAX3D and I didn’t notice the film being too dark anywhere. I’ve avoided this thread since the movie’s release in order to avoid spoilers, but I probably would have skipped the IMAX3D version had I read ahead of time about the potential brightness issue. So I’m glad we didn’t have one at our showing.

I have more to say about the film, but it will have to wait until I’m at my pc instead of my phone.

When I watched the movie in 2D last week I also felt it was exceedingly dark, but assumed it was due to bad projection / callibration at the cheap cinema I was at. However I guess it really is the fault of the movie, since so many of you picked up on that issue as well!

This was kinda weird. I liked the characters, especially Bones and Jayla (though I agree the Spock/Uhura relationship is in a rut).

I liked that the basic plot was straightforward and didn’t have too many crazy plot holes (until I started thinking about @Tin_Wisdom’s questions…).

But everything else felt uninspired. If I never see another collective/hive/swarm/cloud enemy in science fiction, it will be too soon. The actual destruction of the Enterprise ended up being interesting; I liked that it was surprisingly reslilient, even up through the scene in the wreckage on the surface. But bleh, the “bees” just felt like the laziest possible enemy. Likewise, the weapon was just some lazy bio-weapon swarm of a doo-dad.

The design of the swarm ships, the maybe/maybe not drone army, it all just felt a little lackluster.

“Surfing” across the drone wave as they’re destroyed by the Beastie Boys was a little too corny for me too, mostly because song takes me out of the movie. If this was the first time they used that song I think it might’ve been fun, but the Beastie Boys as a recurring theme for the Kelvin timeline (and used in the trailer for this movie) really dulls the impact when it turns out to be their secret weapon in the climax.

But I did like the quick shot of the Yorktown when they get the frequency and suddenly the whole surface of the base erupts in sound and blasts back the bees.

So yeah, kind of a mixed bag. I think I liked it a little better than Into Darkness, but not as much as I thought I might after the reviews came in higher than I expected.

Just got back and I’m still processing but overall my thoughts can be summed up with: fun summer popcorn movie, but really stupid in a lot of ways. You really have to shut your brain off to enjoy this movie. Why hasn’t NASA tried achieving escape velocity using gravity and high cliffs before?

In the movie it had to do with not starting their impulse engines until they reached a certain speed first. I don’t remember the technobabble behind the reason they had to be fast before starting the impulse engines though.

Not to be pedantic, but it was terminal velocity.

-xtien

That’s pretty pedantic. :)

I’m no expert on Trek lore, so I don’t know crap about impulse engines other than they’re used for sub-light speed movement, but Newtonian physics kind of dictate that you’re not going to redirect all the kinetic energy of that mass falling toward the ground, even in a long curving 180, with less energy than it would take to simply lift it. Unless of course my understanding of basic physics is completely flawed.

The whole villain thing really didn’t work for me either. It was a whole lot of silliness for very little surprise. Honestly, I think this was the worst of the reboots and probably in the bottom half of all Trek films.

That gave me a chuckle. It’s really true, but that’s one of the things I love about @ChristienMurawski. :)

Actually I think John’s comment stands. Apparently they needed to reach terminal velocity, but it was in service to whatever was happening that allowed them to reach escape velocity. So yes, “why hasn’t NASA sent ships diving off cliffs to reach escape velocity” works perfectly fine to me.

The only time speed in and of itself seems to me to be beneficial is if you need air moving over wings in order to generate lift. In other words, not that situation at all, and you are right.

But, *hand wave hand wave* neutron pulse generators need air ramming something something *hand wave hand wave*… and there you go.

Yeah, I groaned pretty loudly when they pushed the ship over the cliff.

Clearly the best of the three re-boots.

But why was Krall unable to find his own ship when the lassie was hiding there? Also, it looked like Chekov was missing from the ST OS photo, or did I miss him?

The surfing scene to Sabotage was the highlight of the movie to me. They had set up the fact about the “classic” rap before. When they start the music Kirk acknowledges the call back his childhood from the reboot movie, and the bridge crew is rocking out. Then the Yorktown starts blasting it.

Cheesy, yeah probably. But cheesy goodness to me :)

For me the movie had 3 parts. The diplomacy scene and the crew mid-career crisis are both handled without subtlety. For part 2 we start with the bee-drones which I disliked, and while the planet scenes had moments, but also had too much useless action noise. However once we start the final chase the movie was just awesome.

Pretty good summary, eliandi.

It was a fun, entirely episodic romp for me. Not truly great, but it hit the notes it had to and then had some over the top fun to fill out the rest of it.

My son’s comment: “They’d better not write off Jaylah for future movies and fall back on the ‘Well, she’s in Starfleet now, and it’s a big organization’ bit.” I didn’t have the heart to tell him that’s almost certainly what they’re going to do.

I hope not. One artifact of the 60s era it came from is that the Star Trek crew is awfully dude heavy. It could use another woman. And it’s not like Sofia Boutella’s dance card is full. She would probably be eager to get on board with a major franchise.

Although it’s worth noting she’s not hurting for work. She’s the title character in the upcoming mummy movie with Tom Cruise! I hope we’ll actually get to see more of her face instead of a bunch of heavy make-up.

-Tom

I know those words, but that sign makes no sense.

-xtien

Universal is rebooting their classic monsters franchise, starting with The Mummy in 2017. The scuttlebutt is that it’ll be followed with a Johnny Depp Invisible Man in 2018, a Javier Bardem Frankenstein in 2019, and then some sort of Avenger’s style Monster Mash at some point.

-Tom

Well that makes even less sense.

Add me to the list of people who think an additional alien woman would be refreshing to the franchise. also, give Uhura more to do in the next one… and let’s also not start the next one with Spock and Uhura in yet another fight.

From your pixels to Abrams’ eyes.