Star Trek Beyond

It was realistic enough for me. I was a flight sim fan in the late 90s and saw what obsessive realism did for those games. I can’t even listen to these sort of complaints without developing a nervous tick in my neck.

Nervous ticks are the worst. They can never decide on a single place to dig in to your skin and stay in so they’re constantly skittering about. And they don’t respond to matches or rubbing alcohol or anything.

-xtien

This reminds of that nasty but the bad guy made Captain Pike eat in the JJ Abrams Star Trek.

Here is a picture:

Summary

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/10/18/article-2050410-0E6BEEB700000578-576_468x286.jpg

Oh, wait. That’s not a realistic depiction of Capt Pike!

You are making this so much better.

-xtien

Oh, man. I misspelled the word bug and put the word “but” instead!

Everyone knows the bad guy in Star Trek didn’t put a ‘but’ in Capt Pike’s mouth! He would have been a much meaner bad guy had he thought to do such a thing.

http://i.imgur.com/SP9Pu.gif

Just realized the Gamertag NCC 1031 is available.

Well, it was. :)

All hail the Nerd King!

Oops this was meant for the TV series thread, moved it…

I watched this because people said it was better than the trailers. And I ended up enjoying it more than Star Trek Into Darkness, which I had gone in with high hopes.

Based on the trailer I assumed that Jayla would become a love interest of Kirk and damsel in distress later in the movie - none of which happened, and I liked the character enough. You can also feel some character development over the course of three movies. And the chemistry between the actors helps selling the ride. Pine is solid, Urban, (saldly enough…) Yelchin, Quinto and Pegg a joy to watch. Cho and Saldana didn’t really get a lot to do in this one.

I also liked some of the sets and location ideas they came up with. The locations being angled or turned upside down during the first space fight and the later action sequence in the saucer section made for some interesting movement, and the Yorktown design was intriguing.

Nevertheless, there obviously were some flaws. While I did like the first space fight, the chase in the Yorktown station and the Sabotage sequence, I’m with spiffy on the rest of the action. With everything being constantly turned up to 11, it’s hard to get really excited or thrilled by something. Scotty can’t just crash-land with his pod on the planet - no, it has to be a jumping-off-at-the-last-second-and-dangle-off-a-cliff moment. See also the stupid monster chase sequence on the moon in the first reboot movie. And that scene in which they have to nosedive with Franklin - oh geez. Convenient how the ship was resting right at the edge of a cliff, no? Not to mention that the pull-up-in-the-last-possible-second after vanishing behind a foreground object is such a cliché thing to happen. And, of course, the final action setpiece can’t just be over after the villain got sucked out of the station - Kirk has to fall as well just to be (really predictably rather than dramatically) saved by Spock and Bones. Yawn.

Krall… the less said, the better. If you include ST: Nemesis, ST Beyond is the fourth ST in a row in which the villain can be summed up as “dude who wants revenge for something”. Utterly uninspired and without even the slightest of bits that would make him interesting. The reveal of his true identity doesn’t affect the plot (or the audience) at all.

His big plan seemed to hinge on luring the Enterprise so that he could get that old weapon. What would he have done had the aliens accepted the gift at the beginning of the movie? Wait dozens or hundreds of years until there’s another opportunity? Why was that weapon so crucial anyway? It seems like he could have easily attacked Yorktown any time with his ship swarm. It’s not like other Starfleet ships in the area would have fared better than the Enterprise, and the Yorktown defense system couldn’t handle it either. Seems to be like he could have destroyed the station just by pure force either way.

And since the movie early on made a big point about how the Enterprise is fit to enter the nebular due to having some of the best sensors in the Starfleet, I guess we’re supposed to gloss over the fact that the Franklin, which is way, way older, successfully entered it - and somehow safely left it again despite being barely functional and having a minimal crew. Lazy stuff that could have been easily avoided. And I guess that planet offering some device to suck out the life energy from other beings to prolong your own will soon be forgotten just like that planet from ST: Insurrection.

Fifth movie in a row. Before Nemesis, there was Insurrection, which had F. Murray Abraham playing a character on a blood feud where he involved the Federation in his own personal vendetta.

Things are looking grim for Star Trek Beyond’s box office. Worldwide box office take so far is $194 million. The production budget was $185 million. Since the break even point is around $370 million, this movie has quite a ways to go before Paramount starts seeing any profit.

Just waiting till it hits the $2 theater . . .

Wait, that doesn’t help them much :(

I still found this more interesting than the Jason Bourne movie… then again, I have an high interest in the Trek characters wheras the Bourne movies I don’t really… remember most of those characters.

http://static.srcdn.com/slir/w800-h1267-q90-c800:1267/wp-content/uploads/jason-bourne-2016-poster.jpg

You know, Nesrie. You know.

Took the kid to see it a second time in IMAX 3D tonight. Wow. What an experience. The movie holds up very well to a second viewing, and I caught a lot of details and foreshadowing I missed the first time.

No issued with the darkness some were complaining about in IMAX 3D at the Science Center in Seattle.

I saw this over the weekend and while I enjoyed it, it didn’t have the same depth as the previous two reboot movies. I’ve been enjoying the series reboot thus far, I thought the way they sort of spun this new alternate timeline into existence in the first movie was clever and I really like Quinto as Spock, Pegg as Scotty and Urban as McCoy. Somewhere Deforest Kelley is looking down on Karl Urban nodding and saying “hell of a job there son”, as Urban just nails the role of Bones. The other actors are decent as well, nobody is really butchering the memory of a beloved franchise favorite. All of that led to my impression of the first two movies as being very good curators of the Star Trek legacy and worthy additions to the overall franchise.

Beyond departs from that, though not in a horrible franchise-shattering way. Everyone still acts as you would expect them to act for the most part, and there are a few moments of the usual “Trekness” that made me smile, especially between Spock and Bones. I think my disappointment in this movie stems not from the characters, the setting or even the rehash of yet another Enterprise being destroyed by yet another bad guy bent on mindless revenge (good thing that the loss of a Federation ship doesn’t come out of the crew’s paychecks!), instead it’s purely about the execution. The change in directorial style is obvious, and brings with it a change of pacing, structure and plotting that simply isn’t really compatible with Star Trek.

As far as action movies go, Star Trek Beyond does not disappoint in the least. It’s edge of your seat non-stop action that sweeps the viewer from one impossibly chaotic scene to the next with hurricane force. The plot is a whirling dervish that spins and leaps from scene to scene as it builds to the final confrontation at the Yorktown Station set to the beat of the Beastie Boy’s “Sabotage”, described by alien Jaylah as “the beats and the shouting”. Unfortunately, Jaylah may as well be describing the plot to the entire movie, as unlike what we’ve come to expect from Star Trek, Beyond is simply a lot of beats and shouting, with none of the nuance that has set the franchise apart for 50 years.

What I liked : Jaylah. Great character, strong independent female who I hope will return to the crew, perhaps to take the place of Anton Yelchin’s Chekov. I was sad every time he appeared on screen. Also, Sulu being gay. I love George Takei, but he’s dead wrong about this. Putting a new character in would been seen as pandering, “oh, Lt. Smith is the ‘gay character’ so Star Trek can claim they have one”, whereas having Sulu revealed as having always been gay in this version of the Trek universe was done in a way that was tasteful, understated and instantly acceptable, and didn’t harm the character or the franchise one bit. In fact, it greatly humanized him the way it was done, showing that Sulu has a spouse and a child back at home just like so many of the nameless members of the Enterprise crew. I thought it was perfect, and a nice homage to Mr. Takei.

What I did not like: So many ridiculous plot holes. It’s Star Trek, so plot holes are the order of the day, but there were enough of them in this movie to reach critical mass and form a black plot hole from which no logic could escape. I won’t go into them in this post for fear of spoiling things for people who haven’t seen the movie yet, but I felt it was one of the worst overall plots in the history of the franchise, TV and movies. There were some very interesting things going on in this movie, especially the disappearance and subsequent reappearance of the Franklin and her crew, but all that was pretty much wasted on a mediocre plot. I’m sorry Simon Pegg, you’re an awesome actor, but maybe you should stick to scripting comedies from here on out.

At least the plot holes here weren’t completely universe-shattering, like the ones in Beyond. (Cure for death, transporting to planets hundreds of light years away, etc.) :)

Yeah, I also felt like the plot holes in Star Trek Beyond were less egregious than the ones in the other two reboot movies. I actually counted that as a big reason to like it.

So I liked the new Star Trek movie…not a classic…and again they like to drag the endings out, but it was a fun ride with characters I enjoy watching. The movie also returned somewhat to the characters relationships and development of the first movie, something they pretty much dropped from the second movie.

The plot again makes very little sense, and you have to accept a lot of stuff, but I can live with that in my sci-fi action movies.

I am not a real fan of the “circling camera” but I guess as an old guy I should just shut up and get used to it.