Star Trek Beyond

New Spock asking old Spock about Khan, and having old Spock answer by breaking his vow not to interefere was probably the most cool thing in that movie. I liked that bit because it made sense in that universe’s logic and it was a nice way to have Nimoy show up on screen.

Right, that’s what I’m saying. I don’t disagree with people saying it’s “fanservice” as it most certainly is, but it’s also a really great scene between the two Spocks.

As for Kirk’s and the Tribble’s revival from Khan’s blood, I guess I didn’t find that any less believable than Spock regrowing on the Genesis planet. I mean, how did that work anyway? He was a corpse inside a torpedo and he somehow became a fetus again and then a full grown man? It’s Wacky Trekkie too, maybe even moreso.

This is the place where @tomchick stops in and calls us nerds.

That’s what I mean when I said it would be the same if he hadn’t been revealed to be Khan. Or if he’d been Khan from the very start. He’s minigun-wielding terrorist man. That’s what the movie tells us, and it should be enough.

JJ Abrams might shoot the hell out of that scene, but in the grander narrative of the movie it’s just an empty distraction that means nothing. It’s just a gratuitous, extended bit of fan (dis-)service. So why the fuck is it in the movie?

It’s hand-wavey science to be sure, but if you can buy that life can arise from non-life, and at some point I think we recognize that this happened on our own planet, then you’re more or less just looking at a fast-forward button. I did respect that post-Genesis Spock was kind of a new character, born out of the old one. He was never exactly the way he was before his death, though he did have a lot of the same basic character traits.

If you’re looking at a scale of showing vs telling, having a character piece together a scene, freaking out when he puts it together and then what said character was freaking out about arriving and doing horrible things, vs someone being told X was the worst enemy they ever faced, there’s oceans of difference between those two points.

Don’t forget he put his chakra or his ki inside McCoy or he doesn’t come back as actual Spock. That’s even more of the hand-wavey science that they put in the second film to help set up the third. That was also sort of lucky at the time because there was no definite plan for a third film with the Reverend Jim as a Klingon.

I buy that Spock putting his soul into McCoy WAY EASIER than, say, transwarp beaming several parsecs away to the Klingon homeworld, let alone raising Kirk from the dead, let ALONE Admiral Robocop having a model of the SUPER SECRET KILLER SHIP RIGHT ON HIS DESK.

Yeah, fuck Into Darkness in the ear.

Thumbs up: Starship battle in the Mutara Nebula
Thumbs down: Fistfight on a garbage truck

MenatWork

-xtien

When your movie has a fist-fight on a garbage truck, you may as well have the actors look directly into the camera and go, “Synopsize THIS, Kelly! Bwah-ha-ha-ha!”

I’m just going to repost this old thing.

The thing I hated about the Abrams Enterprise is that, instead of taking the TOS Enterprise and extrapolating forward from that for something genuinely new and interesting (like the Koerner Enterprise), they so obviously just took the Motion Picture model as a starting point and hot-rodded it. The TMP Enterprise is elegant and iconic. The 2009 Enterprise, by comparison, is the Poochy of starship designs.

That’s probably why I like it, the Motion Picture refit is probably my favorite Enterprise.

God damned right.

Well if Mr Spaceship agrees with me, I guess I’m on the right path. But really the main reason I like it so much is that it’s the one I grew up with. I as born after the show had been off the air a few years, and my mom took me to see TMP and I loved it. I know consensus is that it’s not a very good Trek but that was my gateway.

Oh, with me, the first time I saw the refit Enterprise, I had pretty much the same reaction as Kirk: love.

I wonder what the Enterprise is going to look like in STD Season 2?

Also, what role did Alex Kurtzman play in Star Trek Beyond? Beyond was the best of the nu-Treks, IMO, and I am a little worried about what will happen to STD.

Hell, yes

The same as it looked in Season 1, presumably.

Which is to say, like a college dorm blacklight poster.

If ya got the bling then show it off. Space is pretty dark.