Star Trek Day 2021 (55 years of TREK)

Stardate : 09/08/2021

Again I am amazed to be in a timeline where there are now 5 star trek shows in some form of production. I don’t think the overall following has ever been stronger than right now.

In the mid-90s, in TNG’s heydey, half of Americans polled identified themselves as Trekkies.

I don’t think a streaming network spamming out shows is a sign of strength. It’s just churning an IP mill.

Is that true? Source?

In the mid-90s as a kid, I recall personally only knowing 2 people who watched TNG.

I would be Trek heaven if it weren’t for ST: Picard. That puts a little dampener on my enthusiasm. I’m rewatching TNG right now, and Season 1 of that show is way better than Season 1 of Picard.

But still, overall I’m very pleased. Short Treks are great, ST:D is great, ST: LD is great, and I’m really looking forward to seeing more of Chris Pike as Captain.

I have high hopes for Strange New Worlds. I’ll re-up for CBS/Paramount for that.

That poster sure promotes the new material over the older.Sad given comparative quality.

I’m glad you didn’t for the colon there. :)

Not to be hating on the new shows at all for me, just that there is not nearly enough Garak or Quark on the poster.

Is there some reason (rights dispute?) that Enterprise is completely absent?

Scott Bakula is there, just very small

You’re right, I just didn’t see anything in the trailer.

Isn’t that Jonathan Archer doing the voice over at 0:48 “We’re going to stumble, make mistakes.” And who could miss Porthos at 1:18. Plus of course at 2:15 where Enterprise is in the short clips listing each of the shows.

I do think Enterprise got a bit shortchanged on time.

That’s a good trailer. I don’t dislike any of the shows but watching all that together made me realize I miss the hopefulness of TNG.

Here’s hoping Strange New Worlds gives us a hopeful tone. I watched Seasons 1 and 2 of Discovery (and generally enjoyed them), watched the first episode or two of Season 3 just reached the point where the Discovery showed back up and decided the situation was much too down and depressing to add to the real-life situation with Covid (and at the time Trump) to keep watching. I assume it got more hopeful, but don’t know.

Wondering if it is in that weird timespan of digitally-filmed-but-not-true-HD TV that is very difficult to upscale/remaster and make look halfway decent (like early 2000s sports recordings). Cuz most of what they showed was prettied up to not feel too out of place next to the ST:D/ST:P footage.

Just gonna toss this here

Happy Star Trek Day everyone! 56 Years this time, I guess. The nice round numbers always get all the glory.

Here’s a Star Trek Day sale on Gog: