Star Trek Discovery (2017)

I don’t even remember who the squire is, but maybe that’s what I was thinking of.

Is this another early April Fools thing?

https://i2.wp.com/www.tor.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/squireofgothos.jpg?fit=700%2C%209999&crop=0%2C0%2C100%2C530px

“Say squire again.”

Oh right, Trelane. Didn’t make the connection. That would make more sense.

I’ll just leave this here:

[quote]
…her character’s name is First Officer Michael Burnham.[/quote]

Q-Squared was a fun read.

Is there some subtext we should be inferring here? I mean, I work with a woman named Johnie.

I used to date a woman named Michael!

It was! Speaking of which, the author of Q-Squared and a billion other things, Peter David, is asking for assistance and cash.

Bummer - I never read his Star Trek books but I did enjoy his Mr Fix-It run on The Incredible Hulk (that’s he same Peter David right?) so maybe I’ll float him a sawbuck.

I’m in for $10.

Old people will remember Michael Learned, who was decidedly female. Still, weird choice for a character name.

The name isn’t that weird if it’s just hinting towards a trans character. They made a huge deal out of trying to be as inclusive and diverse as possible a few months back. This could merely be a result of that.

Yeah, that’s what I wonder. I think having a trans character on a Star Trek show would be huge, they’ve always been a little groundbreaking. But then I could see the mouthbreathing set calling them out for screwing up Star Trek. Or something.

So yeah, I clicked on the article to verify and it is actually titled “What the Fuck Is Going on with Star Trek: Discovery?” What times we live in.

Also, keep in mind that earlier this week the writers voted to strike. Unless the studios cave in the coming days, a writer’s strike is about to hit us. It’s going to impact all shows in production, which is pretty much everything gearing up for the fall.

Remember, io9 came from Gawker Media. It’s firmly a product of the Gawker brand of “journalism” and “editing” we’ve all come to love.

The main thing I’ve gotten is they seemed to have put all their faith in Fuller at the time and just haven’t recovered from it. This show needs a strong proven Showrunner or it’s fucked IMO. Also CBSs doggged insistence in go n All Acccess doesn’t help either.

This show has been a mess so far. The sad thing is that they have done a lot of things right, like hiring Fuller and then screwed them up badly. I still do not understand why they want to put this on CBS All Access, when they have much better outlets to use. Imagine if they decided to give the show a major budget, retained Fuller and dropped this on Showtime instead. It just seems like they have several people pulling the strings on this thing and no one is actually working together.

Aw man, on Showtime we could have had freaky alien sex! Why god why?