Star Trek Discovery (2017)

Because it takes place ten years before a setting that used EXACTLY those FX, yet eschews them and looks completely different for…reasons, I guess?

I would much rather have them upgrade the visuals and use modern tech than tie themselves to very dated esthetics for… reasons, but that’s just me.

I can give you one reason - nobody would watch. Maybe the truly loyal trekkies, but other folks who might just be tuning in out of curiosity would say, what the hell is this 60s looking crap?

I loved the updated JJ visuals, bridge, ship and all. I’d love an analog of that in a TV show. I don’t care that this takes place before Kirk etc. As far as I’m concerned we can consider this a reboot.

Battlestar Galactica looked phenomenal with dated tech, but had a great story-based reason for it, and a setting where it seemed appropriate and apprecited. It was gritty, survival sci-fi, but I want my Trek to be as high tech as as possible with the limitations of contemporary set design and special effects.

Trek has always been best for me when it’s pushed just how slick and awesome the future might be. I don’t need a modern show to be hamstrung by 60s production limitations.

And yes, I certainly can appreciate the feelings of those who feel otherwise, but as long as we’re just talking about minor aesthetics and not major redesigns (like ignoring Starfleet’s penchant for massive warp drive nacelles on their ships), then I don’t have a major issue with updating visuals.

So… much… lens flare…

Also the dialog sounds like it was machine-translated from Japanese or something. “My people were biologically determined for one purpose alone”? WTF?

I will just have to see an episode or two, though I guess only the first one is free – goddamn the pusher-man.

I don’t see myself subscribing, but I do subscribe to Starz for a few months at a time to watch a series like Outlander or Evil Dead, so maybe CBS All Access will work. They will stream their NFL games on it. That’s a draw for some.

The whole “sensing the coming of death” thing is bullshit, but I am a big fan of Doug Jones so it’s a wash.

Star Trek has always been full of bullshit, but it did sound stupid. Don’t even go there, writers.

Similarly a bit on the fence. I really don’t want to support further fragmentation of online streaming services. On the other hand, I’d probably be more than happy to plunk down $40-50 for the season on iTunes. So it seems odd not to be willing to spend $10 for a month or two to watch all the episodes in the season, if it gets good reviews.

I watched the trailer again. Yup, looks like it’s gonna be garbage. Orville will likely be better, which means nothing because that’ll be awful as well, just sliiiiiiightly less so.

What the hell. We’re all those characters CGI?

Yeah. These Klingons look dumb.

Those are JJ verse Klingons, ala Into Darkness, right?

Assuming that’s the case, that also explains the look, which is very consistent with that universe/timeline, circa the Kirk era. I think even diehard trekkies can settle for “the 60s” look being specific to TOS timeline, which this ain’t. So, it’d actually less consistent to make this look 60’s, even setting aside commercial appeal.

Honestly, I wasn’t a fan of the Klingon change in JJ Trek either. Assuming the timelines don’t diverge until Kirk’s dad gets killed when Kirk is born, it makes no sense for Klingons to have such a drastically different look.

I get that no one really wants Klingons to look like cheap space pirate Huns from The 60s. But we solved this problem a while ago when Trek went with the redesign from The Motion Picture, then slightly altering the design with later movies and Worf as makeup tech got better. Why do they redesign the Klingons with every revamp of the property? To add insult to injury, the writers jump through stupid retcon hoops to explain why their Klingons look so different.

Vulcans have pretty much stayed the same since the old show. No one seems to mind.

Aren’t the JJ Klingons phenotypically the same as the Worf-type Klingons, but with different aesthetics (e.g., no head or facial hair, different clothes)? Same head ridges, noises, etc.

https://goo.gl/images/OiotZp

If thats the case it makes no sense to make them look like the reboot Klingons. This show is in the “old” Trek universe not the reboot under Paramount. Why they would totally remake Klingons is just baffling…

There was some episode in one of the Treks about it wasn’t there?

I forget what series it even was, but it was an attempt to explain why Klingons look so different from TOS to TNG or the like.

“Klingons” look stupid as fuck, why mess with something that was working just fine?

Yeah, they’re pretty stupid looking.

“Let’s get a franchise everyone loves and then just change shit for no reason. People love that.”

I like the look. I just hope they’re truly fearsome in action.