Star Trek Discovery (2017)

If you could genetically engineer a race to do one thing, I’m sure it wouldn’t be “to sense the coming of death.” It’d be more like “to carry way more than STR allows” or “to live in hostile environments.”

You’re thinking of the Augement Virus storyline in Enterprise. They used it in Star Trek Online a bit, too.

You’ve already testified that you like stupid-looking things.

Like your mom.

The look of the series is fine. The quality is going to depend largely on the writing, just all the other Trek series.

Have they announced that it is in the TOS timeline? I haven’t seen that, though I admittedly haven’t followed it that closely. The look clearly is JJ style.

[quote]
Fuller put to rest the speculation about which universe the show was set in, saying “It is in the prime timeline.” He couldn’t say exactly when in the timeline would be set, however.[/quote]

Welp, it seems pretty clear to me that they changed their minds, given the visual look. Those are JJ Klingons and lens flare.

If they are still insistent that it is set in the TOS universe, then I don’t get why they’re sticking to that and using the JJ visuals.

I guess the question is whether “10 years before Kirk” mean before his birth or him becoming captain of the Enterprise.

lawyers & rights issues.

This is what I wrote long ago in this very thread:

I’m not opposed to the show more closely following the JJ style guide. Lens flares, Dutch angles, and snappier uniforms are fine and expected. JJ movie style obviously makes more money than TOS/TNG style.

I don’t think anything has changed with the timeline plan for this show. It’s still set in the “Prime” timeline.

JJ Trek style is just the way forward from now on for Trek. It’s just that no one at CBS or Paramount wants to do the Disney/Lucas thing and openly state that everything prior to JJ should be considered “legacy” material.

I just experienced chest pains. :(

Whether I am interested or not… I am not paying CBS for the privilege of watching their one show. If they put more of their content behind a pay wall like this, I’ll just drop the network.

Also, the Klingon’s remind me bugs. They are just weird looking.

They want $5.99/month for it, which isn’t too bad. I would hope you could subscribe near the end of the season run and then binge watch all the episodes in that single month, and then unsub.

They don’t really seem to have much else besides this. Some sequel to The Good Wife and otherwise a bunch of reruns or whatever is currently on CBS. I would assume most cord-cutters have figured out a way to pull in local broadcasts over the air? I don’t really see access to CBS as much of a draw either.

I pay 8.99 for the broadcast networks… and another 99 for Amazon. They want to take about a third of my TV budget for one show? And the people who have the full blown cable package, somewhere at what 160 dollars a month need to add another 6?

It’s going to be hard to separate Star Trek success or failure from the All Access model… which is unfortunate.

Agree completely. Even if the show is amazing, I can’t imagine it’s going to get many views (at least not legal ones). Their whole distribution model is screwy.

Yeah, this pretty much. I’m paying for Netflix, Amazon, Crackle, and full blown cable from my provider and I still can’t watch everything on CBS? Kind of lame and also… confusing?

Welp.

True dat.

They’re right. STD is not only an unfortunate acronym, it can’t be the acronym. We need something else.

Pretty sure they can’t make it in the rebooted universe as Star Trek rights are split between Paramount and CBS which are seperate companies. I’d think CBS would be sued if they put the series in a “JJ reboot” universe.