Star Trek Discovery (2017)

So, uh, dumb question, but is there really no premiere date for Star Trek: Michelle Yeoh? Or am I just not looking in the right places?

-Tom

I liked the song on its own, but I hated it as the title theme. It’s just too 80’s for me. In no way does it remind me of Trek.

Far as I can tell, all they’ve said is “fall 2017”. Which was a delay from spring, so who knows if it’ll actually happen.

You’re one of those androids who didn’t cry during the first 10 minutes up Pixar’s Up, aren’t you?

http://thumbnail.egloos.net/700x0/http://pds25.egloos.com/pds/201502/16/46/a0036846_54e0b92fce577.jpg

That’s a fair complaint. It’s going to be dated. Although much as I love TOS, I can’t look at it and not think 1960s – the go go boots, the furniture, it all seems very 60s’ish. I haven’t noticed TNG, DS9, or Voyager feeling dated, but I suspect ultimately all the series are going to end up dated to some degree.

Right, but in this case, it sounds like an 80’s theme song while the show came out in 2001. To my ears, it was already dated!

TOS looks like 60’s schlock because it is. The theme song is classic 60’s scifi. It didn’t look or sound dated at the time it came out though.

I don’t think “80’s” is really the right word for it, but I hear what you’re saying. But I think that’s the exact reason I liked it. It felt real and grounded in reality’s time frame. Like, the show wasn’t supposed to be as far in the future as the others, so much so that the music still sounds like ours instead of something you’d hear in a Star Wars cantina :P

You had me until here. Then you lost me.

Can we all at least agree that the way they changed up the intros to be all war-like for the In a Mirror, Darkly episodes was FREAKING AWESOME?

The word is “insipid”. It’s an insipid, saccharine, soft-rock song that was written for Patch Adams.

Confession time: While I watched all of Enterprise, I did so grudgingly. I just didn’t like the show much, and I think Voyager had poisoned the well for me by that point. I think I watched it out of some half-assed sense of obligation. To this day, I have a hard time recollecting much of it other than general plot points and a growing sense of annoyance with the direction of the show. When the news came that it wasn’t coming back, I was kind of relieved. I watched the final episode and just sort of shrugged and moved on.

This thread made me curious about the things I’d forgotten in the show, (like @Zylon’s post about the title music being a retooled Patch Adams song) and man, there was so much crap in this show I’d just blanked on.

The upshot is that I had no idea the series ending was so universally reviled. I guess because I didn’t care about the show, the bad end made no impact on my psyche. But holy crud! Reading about everyone’s feelings on it years later is pretty eye-opening. Even Frakes and Berman think it was mistake.

[quote]
"We were informed with not a whole lot of time that this was our last season. We knew that this was going to be the last episode of Star Trek for perhaps quite some time – and here we are, almost six years later. So it was the last episode for quite a length of time. It was a very difficult choice, how to end it. The studio wanted it to be a one-hour episode. We wanted it to be special. We wanted it to be something that would be memorable. This idea, which Brannon (Braga) and I came up with – and I take full responsibility – pissed a lot of people off, and we certainly didn’t mean it to. Our thought was to take this crew and see them through the eyes of a future generation, see them through the eyes of the people who we first got involved in Star Trek with 18 years before, with Picard and Riker and Data, etc., and to see the history of how Archer and his crew went from where we had them to where, eventually, the Federation was formed, in some kind of a magical holographic history lesson.

“It seemed like a great idea,” Berman continued. “A lot of people were furious about it. The actors, most of them, were very unhappy. In retrospect it was a bad idea. When it was conceived it was with our heart completely in the right place. We wanted to pay the greatest homage and honor to the characters of Enterprise that we possibly could, but because Jonathan (Frakes) and Marina (Sirtis) were the two people we brought in, and they were the ones looking back, it was perceived as ‘You’re ending our series with a TNG episode.’ I understand how people felt that way. Too many people felt that way for them to be wrong. Brannon and I felt terrible that we’d let a lot of people down. It backfired, but our hearts were definitely in the right place. It just was not accepted in the way we thought it would be.”[/quote]

I may have to watch it again, just to refresh my memory.

Well, as long as we’re confessing things - prettty sure I’ve never seen an episode of Enterprise.

Re: Enterprise, killing off a main character in the final season was much bullshit and yes the final episode was a let down and made the entire series feel like a TNG holodeck experience.

Strangely fitting that Enterprise’s production was bookended with well-intentioned but ultimately terrible ideas.

Patch Adams used that song. That’s how you know it’s tacky.

Man, this discussion led me down a rabbit’s hole. I too had utterly forgotten the details of the final episode (if indeed I had ever seen it, which I’m still not certain of), so I read the Memory Alpha summary of it.

Waaaay at the bottom of that summary is a little note that the episode had received the “Spock’s Brain” award for worst episode of the series. That make me chuckle out loud and my wife asked what was so funny. I replied, but she just looked at me quizzically when I mentioned “Spock’s Brain”, which of course took us to YouTube and a 4-minute summary of that TOS episode.

I’d link all these things, but I’m on an iPad and it’s just too hard to do and/or I’m too lazy. “Brain, brain! What is brain?!”

No time to say much about this myself, but here’s an interview with the director of the upcoming movie The Mummy (Alex Kurtzman) about his other project, Star Trek: Discovery.

TNG was a reboot of a franchise done right, compared to nuTrek (though the third nuTrek movie is okayish). TNG was a reboot into a different operating system, such as from Windows 3.11 to Windows XP. nuTrek was more like going from Windows 7 to Windows 8.

(Star Trek and operating systems in ONE metaphor! NERD ALERT!!!)

Words means things. TNG was not a reboot.

Also, the new Star Trek movies is really fun and introduced a lot of new fans to the, well, fandom. Great reboot.