Star Trek Discovery (2017)

Hey, we’ve got a premiere date!

What the heck?

[quote]
CBS also confirmed that the 15-episode season will be broken up by a traditional mid-season hiatus. The first half of the season will run from Sept. 24 through Nov. 5. The second half will return in January 2018.[/quote]

Oh for fuck sake what?

“Hey, we want all the success of Netflix, but we don’t wanna actually follow their FORMULA…”

That’s fine. I’ll get my free 14-day trial of the service at the end of the season, and pay for a month of the service. 44 days should be enough to watch all the episodes.

They’re probably not done yet. I mean they were still hiring people up until fairly recently.

It was probably either that or further delay the series for full release in 2018. I think they figured giving us half a season in September was better than the alternative.

Or, you could take the cynical view that CBS is run by old people steeped in 20th century programming techniques and they feel that they should take a hiatus Nov/Dec due to lower viewership because that’s how it’s done in TV. Plus that means hardcore Trekkies who don’t want to wait and binge-watch at the end will be on the hook for two more months of CBS All Access.

Also notable in the article is that the episode that’s airing on CBS is on a football night, so the start time isn’t guaranteed, it starts on a half-hour, and DVRs may miss part of it. That’s a great start for a new show. (Not that the typical 2017 on-air CBS watcher is a good candidate for signing up for All Access anyway… Even if it does have all of the seasons of Murder, She Wrote.)

I can’t speak to the series or the storyline, and frankly, I hate it when they go back in the timeline instead of forward (I want to see what happens after the Dominion Wars etc), but MY is a great pick for a captain. Strong, attractive, kick your ass and also be smart kinda captain. I will be there day one for Star Trek: Looks like Dune but with an awesome Captain.

And that’s another issue with how CBS is handling this show. Michelle Yeoh isn’t the captain in the series. All the action you see in the initial trailer is from the main character’s previous posting before the Discovery – Yeoh’s captain of the USS Shenzhou, not Discovery. A lot people are micro-analyzing a ship and crew that’s all just part of the prelude. The Discovery isn’t in the preview, nor is any of its crew other than Sonequa Martin-Green.

Not sure if Yeoh will continue to appear past the first couple of episodes, but Jason Isaacs is captain of the Discovery.

Yuuuuuuup.

I’m not sold on the series being based around a hero’s journey, that’s just not Star Trek to me. Just give me a solid captain and ensemble crew, each hugely important to the show.

With any luck the show will pull a West Wing, and Yeoh will go from being a minor role and glorified background character (as Bartlett was supposed to be), to being a major player and guiding force of the narrative (after Isaacks’ character dies in a transporter accident).

I mean, sure, Rob Lowe’s journey on WW would have been interesting and all (and it was abruptly cut too short), but I think the right choice was made in the show’s redirection after initial test screenings and audience reactions were taken into consideration early in production.

Right now this just comes off to me too soley focused on one of the least interesting major characters in the Star Trek universe (Green’s, based on existing preview trailers), landing just this side of Harry Kim. I think I’d rather go back and watch Billy Keikeya (Battlestar Galactica presidential aide) wrap up his journey again (hah) than see some hothead get dumped right into a captain’s chair.

Sonequa Martin-Green’s character is not half-Vulcan as some early reports speculated. She’s fully human, but is the first earthling that was allowed to attend the Vulcan Science Academy.

First look at Jason Isaacs as Captain Lorca

His uniform looks like an Adidas track suit.

He’s a helmet away from being a member of Daft Punk.

Or the Blue Power Ranger.

Too bad this isn’t debuting on Netflix’s new choose-your-own-adventure platform.

I love the future. Things glow uncomfortably bright, because that’s just so . . . futuristic.

That display panel under his right hand must be super-bright to light up his hand like that. It’s cool, though. I think his shoulder pads block most of the glare.

It’s just a palm scanner to make sure only the captain’s hand is issuing orders.

Why is one side of his collar bigger than the other? D:

The Future! ™

Was this in reference to something the creators or actors said in an interview or just a general feeling? I have the same concerns.