Star Trek Discovery (2017)

This just in, Starfleet personnel are now allowed to bicker with each other all season long, for dramatical effect.

What Trek has always been missing, bickering. I’m sure that’s the reason the last one didn’t do well… not enough bickering.

“Among Starfleet personnel”. I guess that’s how they got away with Odo and Quark’s relationship, since neither of them were Starfleet.

Good lord this sounds worse the more I hear about it.

Yeah. I have a feeling this is going the way of Voyager for me. Unwatched after one or two episodes.

And I even enjoyed Voyager, a lot. This let’s insert bickering piece sounds like someone who doesn’t understand Trek at all. Maybe they missed how much fun every one had when they added. Dr. Pulaski and just had her snipe at Data all the
time.

The only bickering i want in Trek is the fun kind, between Spock and Bones.

This.

Dammit Jim, I’m a Star Trek show, not some cheap CW drama.

This looks and sounds just aweful. Is there no one left that has a clue what star trek is about? How can they just kill the color scheme that had been part of all trek series ?? I don’t understand what they are trying to do. It just looked so half-assed and slapped together. I weep for star trek as especially at the moment the world could use a proper trek series to give hope and a future that is bright.

You probably knows this at some level, but it bears reminding once in a while.

The people who decide what shows to (re)make, aren’t doing this because of their particular interests, or love of a certain show. They look at IP’s to maximize profit,and strategise from there. What IP has a high amount of brand recognition. What sort of show is selling right now - which group of people is our advertising clients most interested in.
From there, the show is made, to cater to those particular strengths.

The ideas of a what a Star Trek show is, what the world need right now, respect for the brand, is, at most, sales pitches.

Yea but Star Trek is a strong IP because well Star Trek. At what point does that not mean anything anymore?

Wait people are complaining that this show is getting rid of one of the stupidest things that was forced onto Trek shows before? Really? A Trek show where writers aren’t tied down to Roddenberry stupid “society has evolved passed our base emotions” crap?

It’s clear people hear just want to shit on this show no matter what.

You think that CW petty bickering is what is going to make this show or the lack of is the reason Enterprise didn’t do well? Please do tell us your point of view instead of bitching about what you think everyone else’s is.

Careful you two, if you start petty bickering about the value of petty bickering I think Discourse is going to start questioning the meaning of its existence.

Your response says it all. Using the stupid “bickering” and CW bullshit is all that needs to be said. That had nothing to do with the original story, but added by the complainers. The idea behind the original story is a absolutely terrific development for the series. So keep tossing about your “CW bickering” bullshit as its clearly what you want it to be.

We should probably wait to see at least one episode before declaring it the worst / the best.

I am pretty sure no one is going to be declaring it the best. ;)

I like the uniforms. So there.

Re; Bickering, they did whole episodes in the old shows about crew drama. There was a multi-episode arc about Barclay being a neckbeard and the crew making fun of him. Ensign Ro was a terrorist turned Starfleet. Sisko punched Q in the face, and once poisoned a planet to stop a rogue crewman.

TNG’s misguided attempt to bring back the Bones/Spock dynamic. Pulaski had all of the snark of Bones with none of the love. And Data just came off as a punching bag, literally too naive to realize he was the target of a joke. Spock always came back with either a cutting comment or some cold logic. Pulaski was just mean.

Everyone hated Pulaski. :)

Why did Crusher leave for that one season? Anyone know?