Star Trek Discovery (2017)

And again, I thought the same thing.

I like that trailer. That’s a tough road they’ve set for themselves, they need to blaze a new trail for themselves but honor the important parts of Trek’s history and heritage. Of course I can’t tell from the trailer if they’re going to succeed, but I’m interested in finding out.

What I leaned from that trailer is that everything must inevitably explode.

Yeah there is a lot of ship blowing up there. I get that maybe some think Star Trek needs more action, and the reboot does that, maybe a little too much (I still like the reboot)… but I just keep thinking they should have just created a new space series.

Star Trek on TV to me, means board room discussions. People debating the prime directive etc. Not that I expect a lot of that in the trailer but I have enough action scenes in other shows I like…

. . .

What?

…hoooow much Trek have you watched, exactly?

Forget that; I want to know what board rooms he’s been in, because I’m applying to that company right away

TNG is Star Trek to me, based as much on my age as my interests I suspect (and my interests are probably shaped by how much TNG I watched as a kid), and I’d certainly agree that Board Room Debate Scifi is an apt descriptor of the show with a bit of pride.

Ah yes, the boardroom, nerve center of the LLC Enterprise.

Ugh that trailer… I am glad I had a piece of paper to crinkle in an angry manner as I watched.

Also on TNG it was the observation lounge… Damn people Learn 2 Trek! :p

I think you mis-spelled Bored Room Debate.

Take that back sir! The ethical discussion behind Picard’s decisions are as important as the couple of times they actually blew something up! It’s right up there with the on screen debates with foreign dignitaries!

Well yes but “Observation Lounge Debate” just sounds kinda sexy for some reason. Like a off-the-wall, latter day Leisure Suit Larry sequel.

Ok so I watched the trailer again, did they even show the new ship? If so it must have been at some weird angle as to not make it look horrible.

This looks so, so bad. Combined with the bullshit CBS all access thing, this is going to fail spectacularly and we will never have another Star Trek series ever again.

So DS9 will remain pinnacle Trek?

I’m oddly okay with that.

Because yeah, this is gonna be hot garbage.

Oh no. What are you doing CBS?

When the first trailer for Star Trek: Discovery was unveiled, one of the biggest mysteries was the relationship between Martin-Green’s human character and Sarek (James Frain), father of the most famous Vulcan of them all, who seemed to take a paternal interest in her. Martin has since elaborated: “I was raised on Vulcan by him and my mother, Amanda” after the death of her character’s parents, she explained during the Star Trek: Discovery panel at Comic-Con.

That makes her an adopted sister to Spock himself, raising the obvious question—why haven’t we heard of her before? All will be explained, promised executive producer Alex Kurtzman, citing the production’s attention to detail and preserving the canon.

TeamAmericaBarfingDoll.gif

Yup, whole big galaxy and we gotta loop in previous characters for no good reason. Awesome.