Star Trek Discovery (2017)

Like the transporter room, but man do the uniforms look dumb next to each other.

But they’re so slimming.

Apparently you can’t spell Discovery without disco.

Or “very.”

The Orville looks way better than this and it’s a parody.

https://youtu.be/cMKECRnZe2U

I know right? How is this possible, what is going on? Are we in some mirror universe?

We live in a world where Galaxy Quest is arguably the best Star Trek movie, so anything is possible.

Man, I hate Seth Whatshisname but I may actually have to watch that.

I’m pretty sure nobody has ever seriously argued that. Better than some, maybe, but certainly not THE best.

No, the best Star Trek film in the past 20 years is Master & Commander.

Galaxy Quest is pretty awesome. The Orville looks pretty awesome too.

tumblr_noy5v5Vk2R1slj24go1_500

I got tired of Seth McFarlane about the time I got out of college. I actively dislike his stuff now.

It looks monumentally more enjoyable than Discovery. Like I could enjoy watching that on a Friday night after a few beers.

Sounds like Fuller’s ambition got way past CBS’ commitment.

The Hannibal and Pushing Daisies showrunner initially wasn’t envisioning a single Trek series, but multiple serialized anthology shows that would begin with Star Trek: Discovery (a prequel to Star Trek: The Original Series), journey through the eras of Captain James T. Kirk and Captain Jean Luc Picard, and then go beyond to a time in Trek that’s never been seen before.

"The original pitch was to do for science-fiction what American Horror Story had done for horror,” Fuller says. “It would platform a universe of Star Trek shows.”

Yet after starting work on the show, Fuller’s relationship with CBS became strained. He objected to the network’s choice of David Semel, a veteran of procedurals like Madam Secretary and Code Black, to direct the Discovery pilot (Baby Driver director Edgar Wright tells us he was among those Fuller approached instead).

There were also squabbles over the Discovery budget, with the production eventually going over CBS’ original plan to spend $6 million per episode (a number that’s either on high side for an original drama series, or a bit lean for an ambitious genre show, depending on who you ask). But perhaps the toughest issue was trying to launch Discovery by February 2017, a date which some felt was unrealistic given the unique world-building demands of a premium sci-fi show.

Some of Fuller’s ideas were tossed — from the more heavily allegorical and complex storyline to his choice of uniforms (a subdued spin on The Original Series trio of primary colors).

I want to see what his uniforms looked like. :(

That sounds fantastic. I hope that idea doesn’t die with the leaving of Bryan Fuller.

It’s dead, Jim.

Fuller was the only chance this had of being amazing… We might have managed good even without, but it sounds like the team they’ve put together are committed to not rising one iota above mediocre.

$6 million an episode should be plenty. This is Star Trek. You have a number of permanent sets that are used 70-80% each episode (the bridge set, engineering, hallways, conference room, redressed crew quarters). This isn’t Game of Thrones where you’re doing location shooting across Europe with dozens of cast members and hundreds of extras, with all the crazy amount of visual effects and set pieces that they do.

Nothing I’ve seen indicates that this is nothing more than your generic Star Trek TV show in terms of scope or scale.