Star Trek Discovery (2017)

I bet you could build a hell of a conference room set with 6 million. Just saying.

This is an interesting article on the new series: http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/tca-star-trek-discovery-eps-confirm-prime-timeline-reveal-new-theme-song-and-explain-the

“One of the things he really, really wanted to do was shake up the design of the Klingons. One of the first things that he ever pitched to us when we were deciding whether or not to come on the show was his aesthetic for the Klingons, and how important it was that they be aesthete, that they not be the thugs of the universe, that they be sexy and vital and different from what had come before. He worked for a very, very, very long time with [concept designers] Neville Page and Glenn Hetrick on the design of these Klingons, and they drilled down in such a deep way to redundant pieces of anatomy, to the different plates on the head. We were in discussions that got so deep into biology and into sculpture. It was incredible to watch Bryan and Neville brainstorm. From the time that Neville brought in the 3D printout into the writers’ room of the Klingon, that design really hasn’t changed. And the Klingon ship, the flagship of the Klingons, that design was very important to Bryan. He worked with Mark Worthington for months and months to get it right. Gretchen and I love it. We think that it’s unique, and we saw no reason to change his vision for those Klingons.”

I love that the article touts this as “explaining” the redesigned Klingons.

Goldsman confirmed that the series takes place in the Prime universe. "It’s not the J.J. [Abrams] verse or the Kurtzman verse.

Ugh…

If they wanted something unique, maybe just establish a new race and go with that.

Heh. If they only got Ve Neill, too, they’d have the entire judge’s panel from Face Off. Hmmm … given who the mentor is on that show, I smell a special Face Off Star Trek Discovery episode next season.

I don’t see how Fuller could complain about a genre show getting 6 million and episode. The Expanse has got to be the current tops and that get 5 million I believe and looks great. I like Fuller allot but they need to just do a good reset and get the world going again with a single hopefully quality show. Then go on from there.

Does that figure include salaries? Presumably, Fuller/CBS wanted to snag a bigger name or two than The Expanse, and that adds up fast.

The Expanse is nowhere near the top for genre show budgets. Even setting aside something like Game of Thrones, Lost was about $5 million per episode towards the end of its run. Rome was almost $10 million per episode. Heck, ER ballooned to $13 million per episode.

Keep in mind that CBS supposedly aspires for this to be “prestige TV” so they want it to be appealing enough to attract people to a new exclusive streaming service.

The Expanse looks quite good for its production budget, but $6 million is about average for prestige TV. I can understand why Fuller’s ambition out-paced that budget easily.

It looks like Turkish Star Trek

But even the first season of Game of Thrones only had a budget of $60 million in total (so around 6 per episode).
You’d have to go to something like Westworld with it’s $100 million budget to find something more expensive but that’s HBO and it had star quality actors.
So $6 Million per episode might not beat any records but it’s a good amount of money and should be fine (the cost of special effects has gone down significantly). You obviously can’t have 10 hours of JJ action Trek with that but then again, who really wants that. :p

Sure, it’s not a bad budget. I said as much. But it wasn’t up to Fuller’s plan which was to have each season consist of a new crew, new ship, new stories, etc.

Whew! Jason Isaacs is something.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/confidential/star-trek-new-captain-not-care-trekkies-article-1.3404011

Isaacs, 54, said the new show will throw away the legacy of William Shatner and Patrick Stewart – and expects it to upset die hard Trekkies.

“I don’t mean to sound irreverent when I say I don’t care about the die-hard Trek fans,” he told us at an event in Los Angeles. “I only ‘don’t care’ about them in the sense that I know they’re all going to watch anyway. I look forward to having the fun of them being outraged, so they can sit up all night and talk about it with each other.”

Hello to Jason Isaacs.

That’s why I watch Star Trek, to be outraged. It’s a nice change of pace from reading recent news headlines.

1u4xyg

Jason Isaacs you are not a smart man. I get the point you are trying to make, and you may not be entirely wrong. But you just painted a damn bullseye on your forehead with that comment.

Good job buddy, way to sell your show.

This guy is such an ass.

Jason Isaacs is a gift. We were already assuming this show would suck so now we get to be disgusted and angry.