Star Trek Discovery (2017)

The Intro says “New Crews”… Does that imply there is more than one ship getting featured?

What, you don’t like watching Staa Trek?

They were basically just doing this from ST 2009. I assume it’s part of their new style guide to some degree; consistency.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsKffvx3pd4

It’s not anything other than a pre-proudction teaser. They haven’t even established a cast yet.

— Alan

Maybe it is just a teaser, but my guess is that you’ll see the same graphics used in the intro of episodes, though probably expanded.

That “teaser” looks awful. How could any fan of the old shows think otherwise? It looks low budget and half inspired by the JJ Abrams stuff. Ugh. Can’t HBO just do this instead? :P

+1, like, etc

Reports? No. But the trailer itself hints at it. The destroyed planet that the trailer zooms past is thought to be Praxis, the moon orbiting the Klingon homeworld that blew up. That energy crisis leads to the shaky peace between the Klingons and the Federation at the end of ST VI: Undiscovered Country…

This implies that we are getting an Enterprise “C” – Yesterday’s Enterprise – and that the series is set between ST VI and ST: TNG. Or if you buy into the Enterprise “B” that was christened when the Anamoly sucked up Kirk near it and catapulted him into that odd dimension – then perhaps that supposed version of the Enterprise “B” (if so, there were multiple Enterprises, A and B – leaving aside “X”.

(I have always thought there were one too many Enterprise “Bs”.)

Lastly, and more generally, I am getting sick and fucking tired of film directors blowing up the Enterprise. It’s been done so often, it’s become CLICHE. And yes, they appear to be about to do it again this summer. Fuck these guys.

Enough of that, FFS.

No reason they can’t swear. CBS All Access is not broadcast tv. So yeah, I hate their “double dumb-asses” .

The teaser says “Coming to CBS and CBS All Access”, which would imply they are at least thinking of putting it on broadcast TV and not just subscription service.

I am officially withholding judgment until I see footage from the actual show. If it’s limited to subscription-based CBS exclusive content though I am OUT. I already have Netflix, Amazon Prime and pay for 3 months of HBO (Game of Thrones) and Starz (my wife loves Outlander) every year, I am not paying for anything else!

The teaser bump specifically says

“Premiering 2017 on CBS
and coming to CBS All Access”

I think it means the first episode is premiering on the CBS TV channel. The rest of the series will be on All Access.

Remember, they want people to buy in to All Access.

Of course they do. But it’s the same cost/benefit analysis that game developers have to make about taking an “exclusive” deal. Trying to leverage the demand to get people to buy in to All Access will have a cost to the brand, as well as the lost revenue to the non-subscription service. It remains to be seen whether those costs are paid back in the form of success for their premium service.

Basically, is the brand marquee enough to get people to sign up for the premium? I’m a pretty big geek and I love ST, but I’m not going to pay for this service. It is, undoubtedly going to be watchable some other way, albeit later.

If the shows gets positive buzz/reviews I could sign up for a month after the season is done to binge watch it. No interest in being a regular sub to the service.

That’s my plan as well. Though it will likely more than a month. When I “binge watch”, it usually means “multiple episodes in one week”.

If you guys tell me it’s so insanely great that I’d be stupid to miss it, then maybe I’ll sign up for the service. BUT IT BETTER BE GREAT. You can’t see me but I’m shaking my fist at all of you.

What if we say “It has potential, the same way the first seasons of TNG and DS9 had potential”?

That just means he’ll potentially shake his fist at you.

For myself, I think I would wait until said potential was realized. There is a LOT of good sci-fi and fantasy out there right now and I don’t have enough time to watch the really good stuff (e.g., Jessica Jones) much less pay money to see stuff that might - someday - grow into something good.

I would love to watch some of this other really good scifi and fantasy out there right now. I am not aware of it.

Though, I might just have different tastes. I watched the first season of Jessica Jones, for example, and other than one excellent episode, I did not enjoy that show.

Syfy put out The Expanse (grim, politically charged relatively hard near-future, solar system-bound scifi) and The Magicians (wry, jaded take on Harry Potter by way of Narnia, depicted as adult-aimed urban fantasy) this year and they are both fabulous and scheduled for at least one more season apiece.

If you’re into superheroics, we’re in a bit of a renaissance. The first two seasons of Arrow, the whole (currently two seasons) of The Fash, Agents of SHIELD (stick it out through the Winter Soldier crossover midway through Season 1 to see the show turnaround in a HUGE way), Gotham (apparently S2 fixes all the issues with S1), and Supergirl (endearing, if a little cheeseball sometimes).

I’ve also heard fabulous things about Dark Matter, Utopia, and the latest season of Supernatural (whose quality has varied heavily over the last 10 years, but the first 5 at least are some of the best modern fantasy on TV).

For a more comedic (and animated take), Rick and Morty is all the gee-whiz, what-the-fuck wonder of great far-out scifi with an added dose of gut-punch emotional storytelling, gross-out art stylings, and sheer insanity injected to keep it fresh. I also hear good stuff about Steven Universe. . .

TV is really just stupendously good right now. It’s sort of absurd.