Star Trek Discovery (2017)

Thanks for the reference. I was thinking of him along the lines of the Pierson’s Puppeters from RingWorld.

This was okay. I like the theme song and opening credits. It looked like a lot of production value was up on the screen.

I still don’t like the Klingons much. I can’t get over another Klingon retcon. I knew that would be an issue for me going in, so it wasn’t surprising that it continues to vex me. What I wasn’t prepared for was how much the appliances would inhibit the actors. They sounded terrible, and the costuming/latex makes them very stiff and ungainly.

Sonequa Martin-Green was good. At least, she was as good as the script allowed, which understandably was skewed towards the normal pilot episode setup stuff.

So…good. But is it good enough for me to pay for another streaming service? Nope. Sorry, CBS.

You’re right. I went back and rewatched the section and he says they were “hunted, bred, farmed. We are your livestock of old.”

I hope they explore this further. It would be interesting to see if the original predator species that hunted, bred, and farmed them had an ethical revolution and then ultimately uplifted the livestock species, or if some catastrophe occurred which wiped out the predator species and then the livestock species was able to evolve on its own and become technologically proficient.

Admittedly not a Trekophile, but I got the feeling that the Klingons in this series were some kind of mutant/religious offshoot of the race? I thought I heard lots of talk about super-high radiation levels and strange religious rites.

Maybe there from an previously-unmentioned dark moon of Q’nos!

I’m still confused why this is not the Abrams Trek, but the Klingons look much more like the Klingons from the reboot than they do the original timeline Klingons.

At best, I’ll be signing up for this OTT service for a month at some point and then binging the show.

Wonder if it will be possible to use the 1 week trial to binge it. I imagine they would have thought of that.

Absolutely, it should be possible. That’s why I’m waiting for the end of the season to get the free trial.

Anyway, how many weekly episodes are “in the can” already and scheduled, do we know that? And I gather there’s some hiatus à la Walking Dead?

What’s the story in the UK BTW? Are you guys watching it via Netflix as well?

From this article:

Emphasis mine. Thank you Netflix!

15 episodes. According to Memory Alpha, 8 episodes released each week until November 5 and then 7 more episodes starting in January. Although they show all 7 of the second half released on the same day which seems unlikely. I’ve seen the 15 number in quite a few places as well as breaking at the start of November, so those are probably accurate.

Hmm, I wonder if that means there’s enough money around to keep it going and switch directly to Netflix if the All-Access thing proves to be a disaster.

Yep. The first 2 episodes are out. I’ve got them downloaded for my commute tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

This may not work. I planned to do this for The Expanse, but Syfy deleted half of Season 2 before uploading the second half I think. Anyway, I waited too long and can’t watch the first half of Season 2. :(

I worked the Star Trek convention in Las Vegas recently and I chatted with some of the Trek fans about this. Apparently there are 24 clans at this point in history and some may have interbred with other races. I assume this means the Klingons in the pilot might be an offshoot breed. That’s speculation, though. It’s not based on anything official.

I was trying to look pretty close at the projections of the other Klingon commanders in case there was a TOS Klingon or TNG Klingon in there. As far as I could tell, they were all pretty similar to the POV Klingon, albeit with some minor variations.

As a casual Trek fan, I’m unsure what you mean - how are the Klingons a retcon here (assuming going back to the look of original Trek series wasn’t on the table)?

I’ve only seen the first episode so far, but it was better than expected. Helps that in Canada it’s available on normal cable channels. It’s no Expanse, but it seems like a more interesting version of Trek than the past few shows.

You guys keep talking about The Expanse, is that really any good? I admit I may be letting my SyFy bias cloud my judgment here.

It’s excellent.

Same here. I’ve also read the book series, so I feel like I already know what happens, and that lowers the urgency to check out the TV series. But the main reason is “really? SyFy can make a series that does that justice?”

I will check it out one day though.