Star Trek Discovery (2017)

Here’s hoping it runs on “regular” Netflix next year when CBS All Access fails.

That may not happen for awhile, if ever.

I dunno what all the complaining is about. Consumers have wanted a la carte cable for a decade now…this is what a la carte looks like.

Enjoyed it. The second episode is even better!

We want à la carte without having to sign up for 12 different accounts that end up costing more than cable all told, and that still leave things out. I mean, besides this show, what does CBS All Access have to offer, really? Big Bang Theory and 2 Broke Girls back seasons?* Big whoop. CBS is still part of Viacom, right? Does it have Comedy Central stuff? Heck no!

I just wish I could get the cable providers to offer real packages with all the normal stuff minus ESPN channels and reality show drivel channels like Bravo.

*It appears that it doesn’t even have those, incredibly. Not full episodes thereof. “All Access” indeed.

Yeah, ala carte means $3-4 a channel. Or for a single show, $1 maybe.

It has kind of a slow start because of all the world building, but it definitely picks up pace.

Sounds like you want all the benefits of having a cable subscription without the cable subscription part, which doesn’t seem very likely to me; at least in the near-term. Cable operators can deliver millions of monthly subscribers, whereas you, sadly, can only deliver you. If you really want a la carte, you’ll be paying retail.

But this isn’t even a la carte: per my understanding the ONLY way you can watch this show legally in the US is to subscribe to a channel which foists a bunch of other stuff on you. It’s not like you can buy episodes on iTunes as they come out.

I assume that’ll come at some point. But clearly day and date is out of the question if your goal is to drive subscribers to your streaming service.

We’re 20 minutes in and just so bored.

That’s not what a la carte looks like. True al la carte is I pay $2.99 for any episode or $30-40 for a season pass on iTunes/GooglePlay/Amazon.

In a lot of ways it’s more expensive than maintaining a bunch of subscriptions, but I felt better about not having to make sure I had the right subscription for the right show. Unfortunately these days for many shows it means watching it 9 months after everyone else, but I think it’s still doable.

Yeah, now that you mention it, I wasn’t very happy with that either. Although I can’t believe you liked the Klingons, they were so monotone and inarticulate.

I hated the first 20 minutes, but it improves.

Does it? We’re in episode 2 and I still kind of hate it.

Be interested in some additional thoughts on it when you’re done. I’m just a few minutes into episode 2. I didn’t love 1 by any means, but it wasn’t the disaster I was expecting, and I probably liked it more than any Trek since Deep Space Nine. I do like the Klingon storyline though - it always bothered me that we never got to see the full on conflict with the Klingons (which I was expecting with the JJ movie launch), but I’m interested in an extended storyline and action-oriented conflicts more than I was in the TNG days.

See what you mean. I just saw a bumpy ridge head and thought they were essentially the same as the Klingons since the original movie, but with someone’s idea of modern makeup to make them more alien looking. But now I see they have double nostrils, etc.

I don’t mind them as much as you guys do though - as you said, they’ve always been altered a bit by Trek launches, and the gist of them is still consistent with the first Star Trek movie going back to 1979. My main gripe is they just have too much “mask” and headplate, etc., which just allows for less expression and just looks cumbersome and awkward in scenes, making them just scowl at the camera without moving much. It just looks like impractical makeup.

Welp, done with episode 2 and probably this show in general. Only reason I might continue is to follow along with the Greatest Generation podcast.

No, it started before this show, if this show is supposed to be 10 years before the original Star Trek’s 5 year mission started. The divergence occurred before Kirk was born (barely).

C’mon, elaborate! You’re a space combat guy, so curious what you found so unpalatable with this show.

Boring writing, no positivity or levity at all, no likeable characters, ham-fisted Vulcan nonsense, inconsistent technology from previous shows, ridiculous"Klingons", didn’t feel like Trek at all. Orville feels way more Trekian than this.

I honestly feel like I wasted my evening.