Star Trek Discovery (2017)

Dumb question, but if I subscribe, do I need to buy a streaming box to watch it on my TV? I have a two-year old Samsung but it is not a smart TV. Nor am I a smart consumer.

I don’t care to watch it on my laptop or iPad.

So I take it you haven’t seen the episode of Red Dwarf where they encounter the Holoship, crewed by genius AI holograms on a 10,000 year voyage to the edge of the universe?

Unless your TV can run the CBS app directly you will need to somehow connect either your laptop or you iPad. It looks like Windows 10 is listed as one of their supported devices. Does you laptop have an HDMI out and your TV have an HDMI in? I think that would probably work, although I can’t say for sure as I haven’t tried their Windows 10 App.

Looks like they also have support for XBox One and PS4, if you have either of those.

See list at middle of page here:

Yes they do, thanks. But I’m not interested in tying up my laptop that way.

No consoles. I do have an old Roku box that I haven’t used in several years. But Roku discontinued support for that and other older models, so I believe you can’t get new channels on it.

I guess I’m just an old curmudgeon. But thanks for trying @Dejin.

Roku has a stick that costs less than 50 bucks IIRC, and it’s compatible with pretty much all the services–I’d be very surprised if this new service weren’t among them.
Chromecast would work too, I guess, although I suspect that since it’s a Google thing it’s less likely to be compatible with, say, Amazon Prime video, if you have that.

“Binks to Enlightenment…” And the ship itself is a hologram too. Man that show had soo many cool ideas.

Since you do not have a smartTV, one of those boxes is exactly what you want. TLDR version:

AppleTV: if u want to show youtubes from your phone/ipad to the TV to guests ( i think, i don’t use apple)

Roku: best interface. best search. universal search. It means you just hit search, type in name, it’ll find it on netflix, hulu, whatever you have. The remote even has a built in headphone out for late-night watching.

FireTV: it’s cheap… modable. UI sucks. I use it.

I’ll second a Roku. The most recent ‘Roku Stick’ can run everything out there, is simple to use and the only real drawback is it maxes at 1080p. But its fine solution for on $40. Can find it for sale pretty much anywhere including Bestbuy and even Walmart.

Captain Georgiou explicitly states that the Klingon vessel has overwhelming firepower superiority. It’s also massive. I think it’s very doubtful that the Shenzhou by itself could have taken down such a large ship even with a surprise attack. The other Klingon vessels arrive within a minute or two of the proposed surprise attack.

The most likely outcome would be for the Shenzhou to be destroyed immediately by the vastly superior Klingon vessel. The second most likely scenario would be for the other Klingon vessels to arrive while the Shenzhou was attacking and to join in the fight resulting in the complete destruction of the Shenzhou with all hands before any Federation vessels arrived.

I think the idea was a sneak attack, if they catch the Klingons with their shields down maybe they could have prevailed. Not sure if that would have been possible in that kind of standoff situation, though.

For the third episode of Discover I went into it deliberately trying to forget it was a Star Trek show. Just pretended I was watching a new series like the Expanse. The third episode is so not like any Trek series in tone that this is really to do. And I really dug it in that context!

I kind of hate what it does to Star Trek, but I like it as as something else.

Watched episode 3 with my 15-year-old, who missed the two prologue episodes.

His take: “It’s really good. But it doesn’t feel like Star Trek.” (And he hasn’t watched much Star Trek.)

I enjoyed the episode tonight. Tilly’s freaking awesome. Lorca’s intriguing. They better watch out, though – their security chief is a Cylon.

I’m 10 minutes into the episode, and I’m starting to feel like I’m just too old for this shit.

I enjoyed it and I’m really interested to see where the story was going. But I’ll definitely agree with @Quaro. It was certainly different than any Trek I can recall.

There was definitely a big chunk that felt way more Aliens than Trek, although I guess you could argue that something like the Horta episode could be re-filmed to look kind of like this and maybe the something like the Salt Monster from The Man Trap could have given a similar vibe with modern special effects. Or possibly the Redjac episode. So arguably TOC went into jumpy horror mode occasion, just not with modern cinematography.

I thought the whole reciting from Alice in Wonderland in the Jeffries tubes was really bizarre when it happened. It made more sense when it was explained, and I kind of like the idea that Amanda Grayson was trying to teach the children that it isn’t always about logic. Although the way it was introduced did seem a bit clunky.

I’m also not.used to unpleasant characters on Trek at least not on the main crew. It will be interesting to see what everyone is actually like once they flesh everyone out. I developed a strong distaste for the mycologist researcher. I’m not sure yet about the new captain.

Also I’m not sure where they can go with this super travel experiment of theirs without breaking off into a new Star Trek universe. It does seem like staying in the Prime Universe has somewhat limited their storytelling.

I felt similarly bleh the pilot but it might be worth trying ep 3 but try to imagine you’re watching the Expanse instead of Star Trek. That kind of reset my expectations and I found myself glued to screen for episode three. It was also executed really well technically.

It was hilarious that they have in-universe excuse for the gloomy lighting.

Oooooh. I really liked Ep. 3.

It does feel like Star Trek to me, but one of the darker episodes, not the main series. Maybe with more than a pinch of Babylon 5 in terms of politics, I think (too early to tell). But that’s the tone. The mechanics and dynamics of the crew do feel extremely trekkish (conversational dilemmas with a little bit of cheese). It feels we are watching the stuff people talked around in the original shows.

The fact that it’s darker and less morally clear does work for making it work with a seasonal arch, I think. There’s already stuff to figure out.

Okay, just saw this, and it was awesome! A bit of a slow start, but REALLY enjoyed it after that. Are we doing spoilers? I guess we are - anyways about what was going on

Summary

[spoiler]I am kinda flabbergasted why the spore travel is in any way different / better / faster than Warp that they already have? I am not very trek fluent, so maybe thats just why I don’t get it.

edit: Spoilers don’t work anymore?

Summary

Also - who is Amanda?[/spoiler]

Anyways - great episode. I love how the security chief excudes a quiet confidence that is almost menacing.

@Razgon

The Spore thing is AFAIK something new. I’ve never heard of it, although I know TOS best and while I’ve seen quite a few of the other series, I haven’t seen all of them

Amanda is Spock’s mother. So that makes her Burnham’s foster mother.

As far as spoilers go, I have noticed that sometimes Discourse does strange things unless the tags are on their own line by themselves. While I’ve grown to really love Discourse, it’s parser doesn’t seem the best. So that may be why you had trouble with them.

The security chief is the second-most most annoying character on the show (the first being Lt. Barclay’s ancestor). There’s no quiet confidence here, just an annoying, condescending prick with a chip on her shoulder that talks shit to prisoners, knowing they’re in no position to call her on it.