Star Trek Discovery (2017)

An upshot is that the security chief chick is a dead ringer for my buddy Allegra who cosplays a ton, so huzzah for the inevitable costuming possibilities?

It’s a small upshot, mind you, but I’ll take it.

Really. I thought she was the least annoying of the new officers. She just seemed to be doing her job.

I hated Lt Stamets. He seemed like a real ass. I would have been much happier if he had been a civilian instead of a Starfleet officer. We’ll have to see where they take Captain Lorca.

In general I like my Starfleet officers to be professional and friendly with each other, and so far I’m not liking this new ship at all. I miss the USS Shenzhou. Still really liking Saru though. He’s probably one of my favorite parts of the series so far.

A lot of people have been complaining about Burnham being Spock’s foster sister (and not without some justification, it does seem a bit of a stretch). But one of the podcasts I listened to mentioned that we didn’t hear about Spock’s father until he showed up on Journey to Babel and we didn’t find out about his betrothed until she shows up in Amok Time. Then they mentioned that we didn’t know about Spock’s brother until he showed up and I was all “What! Spock had a brother?” And I looked it up, and he apparently showed up in Star Trek V (which is one of two movies I haven’t seen, the other being Insurrection).

So I don’t think Spock having a foster sister he didn’t mention for 3 seasons and 6 movies is much more of a stretch than having a brother he didn’t mention for 3 seasons and 4 movies.

Is Lt. Stamets the red headed biophysics guy who lost his boyfriend on the other ship? He’s terrible too, but they tried too hard to make him act like a shithead, and it just came off weak. Bickering, whee. I didn’t give him much of a passing thought because the entire portrayal felt weak and the character flaws forced.

I take greater offense to authority figures bullying prisoners, rather than arrogant jack-asses feeling protective of their work.

Yeah, that’s him. Although I don’t think that was his boyfriend, just his friend. Although Stamets is the new gay character.

I’ll have to rewatch it. I didn’t notice. Mostly I’m remembering Commander Landry from her time on the Away Team where she seemed competent.

This is early Trek and considering we didn’t see it in later “prime” timeline shows & movies, something tells me it doesn’t all go as planned.

That’s my thinking as well. It does seem like being a prequel has limited their storytelling possibilities, since at least in some areas we know how it turns out.

From the way he described it, it was basically instantaneous travel anywhere in the universe (where the spores had spread). That’s clearly better than warp.

Spock’s father and his betrothed were fine because we were all learning about Vulcans and Spock’s family at the same time. His brother in V was a terrible reveal. They tried to explain it by saying he was an embarrassment to most Vulcans and therefore wasn’t talked about, but it was still a bad retcon.

Burnham being an adopted sister is also terrible.

She was pretty offensive to me with the bullying and waiting to intervene when the fight broke out between the prisoners. But that’s OK, this is obviously not the Enterprise or even the Shenzhou.

Stamets was petulant, even before his best friend died, but understandably so. He obviously doesn’t like the captain and resents having his life’s work re-purposed for war.

We loved Tilly. I mean, was that a zit? Wait, they haven’t solved facial acne in 2255?

A mole, I think. In certain lighting you can see she has several on her face. Fun character. I loved the moment when she pulled her phaser – you could see the Starfleet training kicking in.

My suspicion on the fight is that it was a test from Captain Lorca and that she specifically wasn’t interferring to see how Burnham handled herself.

I just don’t like petulant Starfleet officers. If he had been a civilian scientist I would have been fine with it. IMO Starfleet is supposed to represent the best of humanity. Stamets isn’t showing the best of humanity (in fact the only one on Discovery who acted remotely like I thought a Starfleet officer should have was Commander Saru).

Why are they screwing around with mycology when they haven’t fixed this basic problem.

I liked Tilly, I was trying to figure out why I liked her and hated Wesley (or last ensign/cadet) and concluded it was because Tilly was portrayed as not yet competent. If Tilly saves the ship based on her super-genius at some point, I’m going to turn on her.

I don’t see no mole! Though if I google the actress it’s clearly a mole. I think the makeup was just making it look like they were trying to obscure a zit. Probably airbrushed out in the photo below. Which is annoying.

“Did he just… shush you?”

I think Lt. Stamesh actually WAS a civilian - at least, thats what I get from his saying that Starfleet took over his research for…well, spoiler territory, but he clearly isn’t starfleet born and breed.

I like the third episode…good trek feelings all around.

Awesome captain.

How do we like so many of the same things yet disagree on so many of those things?

I think you have a more nostalgic connection to stuff, I’m a bit more oOoo Shiny…

IMG_0557

I really enjoyed the episode. Action packed, of course, but I really enjoyed meeting old and new characters, finally getting a bright eyed and optimistic cadet who made me smile and the set up for many secrets and elements to unravel.

I love that the show has got an ongoing story arc which makes me impatient to know more.

Where they go with the “Context is for kings” line of thought is a question mark for me considering I like Starfleet as I knew it.

Can’t wait to see more though.

Wendelius