Star Trek Discovery (2017)

There’s nothing offensive about the lyrics, aside from not being traditionally Trek-like;

It’s been a long road
Getting from there to here
It’s been a long time
But my time is finally here

And I will see my dreams come alive at night
I will touch the sky
And they’re not gonna hold me down no more
No they’re not gonna change my mind

(Chorus)
'Cause I’ve got faith of the heart
I’m going where my heart will take me
I’ve got faith to believe
I can do anything
I’ve got strength of the soul
No one’s going to bend nor break me
I can reach any star
I’ve got faith
I’ve got faith
Faith of the heart

But as Kedaha mentioned, the iconography is certainly US-specific, with very few exceptions (eg - HMS Enterprise) and that would annoy the living daylights out of me if I was a non-US Trek fan.

That’s really, really stereotypically american! Particularly the way it was sung.

Rod Stewart is, of course, British … but yeah, his style is very stereotypical American (edit - I personally can’t stand the song). The lyrics being American? Yeah, no. I can’t see that part of it. If you mean religious implications somehow translating to success, the US is more religious than many Western nations but the notion that the supernatural is “on your side” is far from a uniquely US perspective.

…I stood up and clapped at seeing the Falcon in Force Awakens…was the only good part of that movie…

Why do people keep saying Rod Stewart? He originally sang the vocals on Faith of the Heart, but the version on Enterprise was done by Russell Watson and was renamed Where My Heart Will Take Me.

I’m not sure where you drew all that from. Those lyrics and the way they are sung (by either singer) are distinctly and could only be American. Rod Stewart is a smart musician and he clearly decided very early on what his market and style were going to be.

Also, american lingo is more unique and distinct than I think you give it credit!

Good point - it was sung by another Brit for the show, lol

Those lyrics basically scream MURICA to me, so I think I’m with @kedaha on this one.

Eh, you’re both crazy. I still can’t stand the song, regardless ;)

Those lyrics screamed “Aaahhh shit, change the channel quick” to me, which is probably why I’ve only seen maybe a handful of Enterprise episodes.

I don’t get how a song on an American TV show could be too American. When I watch K-dramas I never think “oh no, this song is too Korean!” When I watch J-dramas I don’t think “omg they’re bringing out the shamisen. Do they have to lay it on so thick that they’re Japanese?”

But for Star Trek it is totally out of place.

Faith of the Heart was abysmal. Bad song, didn’t match the material. Blecch. And I say that as someone who watched every episode of Enterprise. (And hey, final season it actually got good, but everyone had given up by then.)

As for the whinging about Discovery, I hereby sentence you all to watching the SF we had during the first half of my life. Your initial assignment:
Lost in Space
Space: 1999
Buck Rogers in the 25th Century
Galactica 1980
Greatest American Hero
Small Wonder

Freaking jaded 21st Century future people.

• Lost in Space = Cheezy and amazing.
  • Space: 1999 = First season great, second not so much.
  • Buck Rogers in the 25th Century = Cheezy and amazing.
  • Galactica 1980 = Terrible all around.
  • Greatest American Hero = This is legendary how dare you.
  • Small Wonder = Come the fuck on. Really?

One really can’t compare late 70s and early 80s cheese to Discovery. C’mon now.

I love Lost in Soace and I love the theme song. Which is convenient, because now I’ll have it on endless repeat in my brain all day.

Nothing wrong here.

I knew the response to that would be Erin Gray. :) But she was the only redeeming thing about that show. Hawk, people, Hawk. Ugh.

HAWK WAS AMAZING YOU TAKE THAT BACK. His ship was a BIRD. C’mon.

It’s literally all we had. It’s not like I omitted good science fiction shows from the list. (Other than Star Trek: The Original Series reruns.)

As for Greatest American Hero, it had a fantastic theme song. And it was the only superhero show outside of The Incredible Hulk, so people have fond memories. But even my teenage self thought the writing was terrible.

Nope. Even worse. Bryan Adams.

Yeah. Hawk fan for life, yo.

Imagine if Buck had a ship shaped like a friggin’ monkey. I’ll tell you what, Buck didn’t have a monkey ship. Only Hawk could pull that off. Buck only wishes he could be as cool as Hawk.