Star Trek Discovery (2017)

Plus, Hawk gave us the bird dude on Rick & Morty.

But it’s not all we had. We had Phoenix and Automan and Terrahawks and Misfits of Science and Airwolf and Knight Rider and…

You’re being very selective, and who cares if it’s all we had then? Discovery is now, and it’s crap now.

I don’t know that Knight Rider was really all that sci-if, I mean just because your car can talk and drive itself and is bulletproof, uh … what were we talking about again?

Super Pursuit mode was TOTALLY sci-fi. ;)

Fuck yeah.

Isn’t Hawk the one who kept saying, “Spencer”?

Yes, yes he was. He later became captain of a space station, but was then committed to a mental institution, where he became the leader of a crazy mob of other inmates, all of whom escaped and enlisted both Marky Mark and Lou Diamond Phillips and…wait…what…?

I love you thiiiiiiiiis much right now, BrianRubin.

Side note, I just had to watch this because it’s the best thing about this whole movie:

Doctor Who. Hitchhiker’s Guide. Blake’s 7. Day of the Triffids.

In Denny’s defense, us Americans didn’t have easy access to some of these at the time.

Yeah, I’m still not convinced Blake’s 7 ever actually existed.

Exactly. None of that was on TV where I lived, except for Doctor Who on PBS. And while DW was fun, I’d hardly call it good science fiction.

And Brian, you’re missing the point. I’m saying just imagine holding ANY 80s SF show to the standards y’all are holding Discovery to. While it has issues, it’s amazing progress from a complexity, effects, etc. standpoint from the crap episodic SF we had not that long ego.

So yea I nominate this for most derailed QT3 thread of 2017…

But ultimately, who cares? Why judge the show based on previous works that aren’t Star Trek? If so, why not judge it based on, say, The Expanse or BSG, which are CLEARLY SUPERIOR IN EVERY WAY? I’d even hold Buck Rogers on a more enjoyable level than Discovery, for example, since it knew it wasn’t serious. You can’t keep moving the goalposts just so we’ll eventually say, “Well, compared to Cleopatra 2525, Discovery isn’t so bad.” I mean…what?

Okay, then - once more, I think we understand you don’t like the show. Can the rest of us please enjoy it without you making a fuss after every episode? I mean, its more or less what you ask people, less nicely, to do if they dislike a game that you like to do. Live and let live.

As I’ve mentioned before - I enjoy the show, and the production values are tons higher than say, Expanse or BSG, making it enjoyable to watch - the lead characters are great, and we are finally getting some meat on them.

Unless I missed something though, Stamel is quite quick at hooking up with someone else, after what I thought was his boyfriend, died on the other spore ship? Or did I misread the releationship he had with his fellow scientist on the other ship, whose name I forget?

I’ve barely said anything recently until Denny brought up 70s and 80s sci-fi, good sir, which of course I had to engage with. I’m glad you like the show, but hey, if you’re allowed to talk about how much you do like it, I feel like I should be able to express how much I don’t. You’ll not silence me, good sir.

Not to keep things derailed, but BSG… Really? Angel Starbuck and “All Along the Watchtower” being a thousands-of-years-old universal indicator you’re a cybernetic life form and you’re complaining about the writing on Discovery? :-) Okay, I’m done here.

Razgon, the guy on the other ship was just a close colleague.

Ahhh, so you can invoke Galactica 1980, but I can’t invoke 2005’s BSG. Right, got it.

I invoked Galactica 1980 as sucking. You invoked 2005 BSG like it was excellent. it was entertaining, but other than 33 and Exodus, which were superb, it was packed full o’ idiotic elements. Glowing sex spines, All Along the Watchtower, Jesus Starbuck, boring political shit with Laura and original Apollo, etc. I liked the series overall, particularly the first three seasons, but it had so many dumb, dumb elements that were worse than the stuff people are complaining about in Discovery.

It’s just that James Callus was so awesome as Baltar that we forgive it its many, many trespasses. :)

Now ask me my opinion on Supernatural. [runs for the door]