Star Trek Discovery (2017)

The actor who played Mudd would be better suited to Orville IMO. This episode really upset me.

Care to elaborate?

Sure. It’s been a while since I saw any other Trek, but I feel that the characters have behaved more stupid than usual in TV-shows. The decisions they make are not consistent with what they state is on the line (i.e. the war effort). To the extent that I find the characters unrelatable.

Another enjoyable episode for me. Thought they did a good job of combining a familiar Trek story with the overarching Klingon storyline. Next episode is fall finale and looks like allot of action.

It bothers me way too much that Saru is supposedly the ultimate prey species and yet has forward facing eyes.

To their credit, he does have heightened senses as well as other physiological means of detecting danger from greater distances.

I did not like this episode as much. A mind controlled Saru would have been a good opportunity for some psychological horror. Instead, he just gets in a physical confrontation and starts breaking stuff. Meh.

Also, I didn’t understand what the big blue antenna was supposed to actually do.

Space sonar of sorts.

Saru wasn’t mind controlled. The whole point was that his lack of fear turned him into what he became (that’s why he is so ashamed in the end). I actually liked that they didn’t do the standard “mind controll” plot and instead put a different spin on it.

They could have spent more time on this, though, instead of the childish breaking of things and fighting.

They tried to do too much in this episode. It should have been a Saru episode, but they spent half of it checking in on everyone else’s stories so there wasn’t enough time to explain what the hell was going on with him and why.

Do they have a dozen editors mutilating each script and taking it in different directions? They can’t make up their minds if the war is a big deal or not. Last episode they decided that space whale conservation was more important than victory. In this episode they’re going to ask politely for the antenna but just give up if the aliens say no. Then Burnham tells Saru to suck it up and leave his hippy commune to rejoin the war effort, but at the end nobody gives him a hard time for being a deserter. Is this a clash between different writers, or is it just that they’re trying to rip off TOS & TNG while making a show set during a war?

Seemed pretty clear to me what happened with Saru and why he acted that way. Don’t see what another 10-15 minutes of it having to make it more clear. A TNG episode would have been all about that. Hell they might have made it a two parter…

Episode 9 was pretty good. I’m still not sure what made the blue crystal antenna in Ep8 so important, other than as a macguffin. I’m sorta sad the Klingon war is ending so quickly. I guess, as a 21st century 'Murican, I prefer long dragged-out wars with no foreseeable resolution. The Admiral was rescued without any cheesy hijinks too, which is a plus. The cliff hangar was pretty cool. I’m guessing they’re stuck in some pocket dimension somewhere where all the rubbish collects.

I’m thinking that they’re in The Mirror Universe.

The final coordinates

Lorca had hypthesized the breaches between worlds already. Looks like he didn’t want to miss the chance to see them!

That would be cool. So early in the series, though? I don’t recall the other series going there in Season 1.

Also, I didn’t get a good look at the ipad while watching. Does that mean he altered the coordinates on purpose? So devious!

This has been my theory since the beginning. It would explain how they’re still “in the prime timeline”. Cheeky bastards.

Wait, @BrianRubin, you think Discovery has been in the mirror universe all along?

Nope. Enterprise established the mirror universe already had terrible people and the Empire (not the Federation) a hundred years before Discovery.

Your theory has been wrong since the beginning. :)

So who gets the goatee? Saru?

There was enough weird and unexpected stuff in this for me to want to keep watching when it comes back. Hopefully they’ve gone to a place where there are no Klingons. I’ll never understand how there’s a generation of people who think that TOS was really hokey, but people in masks speaking a made-up language with subtitles isn’t.

And please, for the love of God, get us out of the war. Every episode has someone deciding that their personal whims are more important than winning, and everyone else is totally okay with that. Do the writers not have grandparents? Have none of them ever seen Victory at Sea or even Casablanca?

Good ending to first half. Some cool action with the Discovery and the “micro jumping”. Liking Stametz who’s become more than the rude science guy. More of the is Tyler really Vox and a good cliffhanger. If the second part holds up this will easily be the best first season of a ST show.

Grumble it’s still the only thing that makes sense grumble