Star Trek Discovery (2017)

Late, but I also get a very strong Klingon vibe from the Music, ship and Logo. Hopefully that is actually what they where going for. Could be very interesting as I always liked the Klingons in Star Trek.

You guys are gonna love this. My wife and I are watching Enterprise tonight kind of in the background while checking the news on our phones. It’s an episode with the Andorians. At one point she gets my attention and asks “wait, what are the ants doing?”. I’m like, “Ants? What?”. I about bust a gut. I never thought of them as ants, but those blue antennae (that move around in Enterprise) do make them look a little bug like. I hope they have ants in the new series!

The Andorians were the only borderline good part of Enterprise. Would not mind their inclusion at all. PS: I kinda like the chunky new ship design.

So it looks like this is going to be set post Enterprise but before TOS.

It turns out CBS’ “Star Trek Discovery” will NOT be set subsequent to Kathryn Janeway’s adventures in the Delta Quadrant.

In fact, “Star Trek Discovery” will be set before Kirk and Spock’s adventures in the Alpha Quadrant.

“There’s a big clue in the number of the ship [NCC-1031] that indicates when we’re set,” “Star Trek Discovery” showrunner Bryan Fuller just told me over Monday-afternoon coffee in the Beverly Hilton’s Circa 55 poolside restaurant.

So.

Given that the Kirk-Spock Enterprise has a higher registry number of NCC-1701, I’ll declare now that CBS’ new “Star Trek Discovery” adventures are set before Kirk, Spock, McCoy and Scotty started hanging out together on the Enterprise.

I also asked Fuller about Starfleet’s super-secret black ops operation Section 31 (the one depicted in “Deep Space Nine,” “Enterprise” and “Into Darkness”). Is it a coincidence that the Discovery has that “31” at the end of its registry number?

“There are aspects of our first season that, depending on how well versed you are in that mythology, you could either read into it a connection," said Fuller, “or not.”

Keep your eyes glued to the Internet on Aug. 10; Fuller says he’s going to “spoiler it up” during the “Star Trek” panel on that penultimate day here at the Television Critics Association summer press tour.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/75876

(Yes I still visit Ain’t It Cool News; but only when I log on to AOL)

The single-clearest representation of Aint it Cool News in media, ever:

that is…disturbing.

having said that, the main reason i still check in every once and a while is that they have a section that reviews upcoming DVD releases. I think thats kinda neat.

Well, the issue that has been clarified is that the timeline for Discovery appears to be about 20-40 years before Star Trek: TOS.

Is it possible we will be getting a young Ensign/ Lt. Christopher Pike? Maybe.

So the good news is that the Klingons are The Enemy™ and the relatively unknown Romulans are as well. And Vulcan still exists, no matter which ST timeline is considered. As to whether or not transporters exist at this point – we’ll find out. My guess is: yes, because that’s an integral part of the Star Trek feel.

As the nature of Discovery is that it is going to be a 13 part novel-for-television approach to Trek (as opposed to classic episodic format) we can take from that almost a high likelihood that much, if not all, of the 1st season will be Fed vs. Klingon focused. Why else set it at that point if the Klingons are not going to be The Enemy™?

Thanks for the solid details/speculation, Steel_Wind!

So, interestingly, that scope matters a lot. If it’s 20 years beforehand, we’re in post-Kelvin territory and suddenly which universe we’re in matters a lot. If it’s 40, none of that matters at all.

Hmm, never abig fan of prequel anything. Was hoping the show would be a formal sequel.

Do we know if the Federation was ever at war with the Klingons? My TOS lore is very weak. I know that Kirk hates Klingons and has to overcome his bigotry in Star Trek VI: Undiscovered Country. But I can’t remember if there was a history to that hatred. Was there a war with the Klingons in the past that sparked his animosity? Or just his general dealings with them in the TV show and movies?

I always thought it was more of a Cold War thing between the Federation and the Klingons.

Not too hot on the Prequel idea. I want to see Post TNG Trek. But I take any Trek I can get.

I don’t think that’s officially going to happen, for a long time if ever, at least not on TV or in a movie. It’s obvious that the Kelvin Timeline is the preferred path for Trek at Paramount. For all intents and purposes, TNG, DS9, and Voyager are dead ends. Until Trek starts flopping hard again, we won’t be moving out of the Kelvin Timeline. I suspect that even if the Powers That Be mandate a shift away from Kelvin someday, it won’t be back towards the OG “prime” timeline. Paramount will just straight up reboot the whole thing.

There are references to battles and an earlier “hot war” in TOS

If all the TV shows are still considered canon then teleporters should be around as they were in the Enterprise show albeit they were considered very experimental and I think that show was 100 years before ToS time.

There’s just an insane amount of continuity to deal with if you do post-TNG. Then again, pre-TOS means you can only do so much. (For instance, Romulans are mostly off-limits to keep “Balance of Terror” making sense.)

[quote=“ArmandoPenblade, post:149, topic:77660”]
If it’s 20 years beforehand, we’re in post-Kelvin territory and suddenly which universe we’re in matters a lot.[/quote]
Yep. If it’s post-Kelvin territory, it’ll be on the timeline where Nero never came back to kill daddy Kirk. It’s been clearly stated this is not the Kelvin universe. The TV folks don’t have the rights to the Kelvin stuff.

Though my guess is that this is pre-Kelvin, to avoid confusing fans who came on board with the reboot movies.

I guess that the issue for TV now . Non Trek people won’t already know the rebooted movies are in a different universe than all the previous stuff. So putting it awhile before TOS will help any confusion.

So I’ve been thinking… Will they destroy the ship after the first season? :p

Thought they saved that for the movies.

If it looks like that ugly mess in the sneak preview, my hope is to see the ship explode in the prologue of the pilot.